X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theworldneedscolor
    MiceChatter
    • Apr 2012

[Question] Halloween Party Advice Needed!

My mom and I (16) will be attending the October 12th Halloween Party. This is our first time at any special event at the parks, so we are really excited! We will be there during the morning, but will probably be taking a break and coming back around four. What is the best route to go for dinner? Also, what should our "plan of attack" be for the party? Our main goals are fireworks, parade, and characters. We may go on a ride or two or stop at a trick-or-treat station, but we are fine missing those if that has to happen.
  • chris001
    Elk Grove Chris
    • May 2010

Re: Halloween Party Advice Needed!

I went last year with my son and we had dinner at Cafe Orleans, last reservation was 5:40 I think. It felt most crowded that day from about 3 until the party started, so I am glad with our choice of time for dinner. We are going to be there on the 12th also and will probably do dinner around the same time/same place.

We hit rides hard right at 7, did BTMRR like 5 times in a row, didn't have to get off the first two times. We did HM and POC several times during the day,knew those rides would be packed at night. Did some rides in TL, making our way to the hub. We wanted to get a good spot for the fireworks/cavalcade, so we camped out on a bench near the hub about an hour prior to.

Characters were not a priority for us, can't help you there other than that is where a lot of people were spending their time. We hit a few candy lines. We filled up with candy on the way out, several CM's with carts full giving it out hand over fist.

My son was spent at 11, by then the park felt half full at most compared to when the party started. So if you can make it to the end, the last hour or so should be pretty nice.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• DisneyGoof
      MiceChatter
      • Apr 2009

I would do dinner first thing, because you don't want to waste official party time getting something to eat. Last year lines were long for most characters. I think we waited 45 minutes for Jack and Sally. (Jack took a break while we were waiting of course!) Since you don't really care about the candy, you should be able to visit all the characters, see the parade and fireworks, no problem. Have fun and enjoy! It really was a great time! The costumes people come up with are incredible!!
      Well Gawrsh!

Comment

• mouseknotts
        Dreaming of next trip
        • Oct 2009

1. make sure you eat dinner before you go to the party, the food places close for the party so you will be stuck going through the trick or treat lines to get dried fruit and carrots if you skip dinner. Ok candy could be in there also.
        2. Check out the rivers of america, they have fog on the river.

Last year there were 2 parades, one before the fireworks and one after, the latter one has less of a crowd.
        be flexible in what you do and explore, DL takes on a new look durring the party.
        We save the rides for the next day or we go on them before the party starts, it can be fun going on a ride in a costume.
        Make sure to look around at the other guests, you will see some fantastic costumes. But you can not get your picture taken with another guest if they are in a Disney character. And make sure your eyes are visible if you wear a costume.
        Last bit of advice is get a costume it is the only time you can go into the park as an adult in a costume.
        Have fun

Comment

• Swellpixiegirl
          MiceChatter
          • Oct 2008

^ Are the food carts still open for snacks? Not that I have a big problem with candy for dinner but popcorn or ice cream for the critter while waiting for fireworks or a parade would help time fly.

Comment

• Steveman
            MiceChatter
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
            1. make sure you eat dinner before you go to the party, the food places close for the party so you will be stuck going through the trick or treat lines to get dried fruit and carrots if you skip dinner. Ok candy could be in there also.
            Hmmm...I went last year and the year before and ate at the park both times. Maybe by "food places" you mean the table service restaurants, I didn't try those so perhaps those are closed. But all of the standard food places were open the last 2 years. We had dinner at Hungry Bear last year and I think Racho del Zocalo the year before. Did they change this for this years event?

I just edited this to add that perhaps we ate before the party actually started, since we arrived at around 5 pm both years. I really don't remember what time we ate...
            Last edited by Steveman; 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• mouseknotts
              Dreaming of next trip
              • Oct 2009

If I remember correctly the odv and the restrants close shortly after the party starts. I could be wrong but I do remember looking for something to eat and ended up digging throught the trick or treat bag.
              They do have non candy at the trick or treat stations also, we got craisens, carots, and posibly apple slices.
              But the recomendation to eat before had is a good one because there may only be one or two places to get food after the party starts and you will not want to waist time trying to get food.
              The time seems to fly by.

Comment

• calsig31
                -
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
                If I remember correctly the odv and the restrants close shortly after the party starts. I could be wrong but I do remember looking for something to eat and ended up digging throught the trick or treat bag.
                They do have non candy at the trick or treat stations also, we got craisens, carots, and posibly apple slices.
                But the recomendation to eat before had is a good one because there may only be one or two places to get food after the party starts and you will not want to waist time trying to get food.
                The time seems to fly by.
                Pizza Port and Tomorrowland Terrace were both open during the party last year. I know Village Haus was turned into a treat trail, so it was closed. I'm not sure about the places on the other side of the park.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• swampymarsh
                  Under that tree again!
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by chris001 View Post
                  I went last year with my son and we had dinner at Cafe Orleans, last reservation was 5:40 I think. It felt most crowded that day from about 3 until the party started, so I am glad with our choice of time for dinner. We are going to be there on the 12th also and will probably do dinner around the same time/same place.
                  That is my strategy. Since the crowds increase and can be aweful between 5pm and the 6pm or 7pm party start I like to hang out waiting for the regular guests to leave. Spend an hour of it eating at a reserved table instead of in huge lines for rides or food.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• Mr. Disney
                    • Feb 2005

[QUOTE=mouseknotts;1056832854]
                    "But you can not get your picture taken with another guest if they are in a Disney character."

I think that is a bit relative... I think you can as long as you don't make a fuss about it or create a huge line...
                    I have a dream
                    A song to sing
                    To help me cope
                    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
                    of a FairyTale
                    You can take the future
                    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
                    Something good in everything I see
                    I believe in Angels
                    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

Comment

• ShelbyH
                      MiceChatter
                      • Mar 2011

Hungry Bear was also open last year. My advice is that if you have multi-day passes, don't waste one on your Halloween party day. You can get in at 3:00 on your Halloween ticket, and 3-12 is still a good chunk of time in the park if you're also visiting on other days. For the fireworks, you definitely want to be in the hub, as there are quite a few castle/Matterhorn effects. We had the best success catching the parade on the path to Small World rather than Main Street (less crowded). Characters are tough--expect long waits. And the candy stations actually go by pretty quickly if you spot the uncrowded ones (for example, the one back by Big Thunder BBQ).

Comment

• calsig31
                        -
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                        You can get in at 3:00 on your Halloween ticket, and 3-12 is still a good chunk of time in the park if you're also visiting on other days.
                        They let you in 3 hours before the event start time. Since the 10/12 party that the OP is going to starts at 7 that means a 4pm admission time.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• JMazz
                          Banned User
                          • May 2012

This is my first time this year... I will be there on the first date and I know things can change from year to year, but about how many candy trails are there?
                          Are they worth waiting in? Is there any theming along the trails or stuff to see? Are there trails that come back each year that are better than other trails?

If the only pay off is candy, I may end up limiting my trail-blazing.

Also, from the Small World Promenade, can you see Zero flying thru the air? I ask, b/c someone in my party is crazy-insane and wants to see him (or is it a her?) at all costs. She doesn't care about the fireworks. I wanted to see the fireworks from SW area b/c I simply never have done that before. Hoping for a compromise.

Comment

• dougeebear
                            Halloween 2011
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JMazz View Post
                            This is my first time this year... I will be there on the first date and I know things can change from year to year, but about how many candy trails are there?
                            Are they worth waiting in? Is there any theming along the trails or stuff to see? Are there trails that come back each year that are better than other trails?

Also, from the Small World Promenade, can you see Zero flying thru the air? I ask, b/c someone in my party is crazy-insane and wants to see him (or is it a her?) at all costs. She doesn't care about the fireworks. I wanted to see the fireworks from SW area b/c I simply never have done that before. Hoping for a compromise.
                            I don't know why some have called them "trails" because they're not. It is a long, long, long line terminated by cast members behind booths shoving fistfuls of candy into your bag. No theming, no decor, no Disney. From what I recall last year, there was one at Fantasyland Theater, one at Rivers of America, another in the Pirates entrance (Pirates was down for refurb last year), one at Big Thunder Ranch, one in the Village Haus, one in front of Tomorrowland that completely blocked the entrance, and one at Captain EO that deceptively blocked the entrance to Space Mountain. I got in one line to see what it was about, and didn't join any others once I saw the payoff was just candy.

Don't know about the SW Promenade. If you can see Tink or Dumbo from there, you can see Zero since they use the same carrier system. But you WILL miss Jack, Oogie Boogie and other villains projected on the "moonrise" just above the Castle parapets.

Comment

• swampymarsh
                              Under that tree again!
                              • Nov 2011

Another couple candy "stations" I saw that you didn't list were in Critter Country and at the park gates.

Originally posted by dougeebear View Post
                              Don't know about the SW Promenade. If you can see Tink or Dumbo from there, you can see Zero since they use the same carrier system. But you WILL miss Jack, Oogie Boogie and other villains projected on the "moonrise" just above the Castle parapets.

It's a great firework show and worth watching from the Hub with a clear view of the above the Castle.
                              Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• JMazz
                                Banned User
                                • May 2012

Thx guys for the info.
                                As for the Fireworks narration, it is projected onto the SW facade. I saw it on youtube, unless they don't do that anymore. It's just that the person who recorded it, didn't pan back towards the castle. And I couldn't think/remember if one could see tinkerbell/zero/flyer-du-jour from there if they simply turned around.

Comment

• StevenW
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
                                  My mom and I (16) will be attending the October 12th Halloween Party. This is our first time at any special event at the parks, so we are really excited! We will be there during the morning, but will probably be taking a break and coming back around four. What is the best route to go for dinner? Also, what should our "plan of attack" be for the party? Our main goals are fireworks, parade, and characters. We may go on a ride or two or stop at a trick-or-treat station, but we are fine missing those if that has to happen.
                                  I always eat at the Plaza Inn on Main Street near the Tomorrowland Entrance. It's the best place to be when the day guests are leaving the park. You'll have a chance to order some nice Halloween deserts. My daughter loved them.

Definitely go to the treat stations. You'll get a ton of candy. Bring an extra bag like the grocery store recycling bags to store your extra loot. The flimsy bags that they hand out will not last. They won't question you. They will happily fill all bags in your hand.

The parade was very good. I only saw it on my way out since my wife felt sick so we left early.

Definitely visit a few rides, but don't make it a priority. Go on the rides that are short. Peter Pan was a long wait (45 minutes), but everything else was short.

Dress up. I didn't, but many people were decked out with the best costumes. The men were wearing detailed period costumes. The women were wearing Cinderella and princess costumes.

Overall, it was a great experience.

Comment

• Mr. Disney
                                    • Feb 2005

Watch it from the hub. The Halloween show is probably the most hub centric fireworks show other than Remember. ZERO alone is well worth it. He looks aweeesome!!!!
                                    I have a dream
                                    A song to sing
                                    To help me cope
                                    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
                                    of a FairyTale
                                    You can take the future
                                    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
                                    Something good in everything I see
                                    I believe in Angels
                                    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

Comment

• swampymarsh
                                      Under that tree again!
                                      • Nov 2011

Thx guys for the info.
                                      As for the Fireworks narration, it is projected onto the SW facade. I saw it on youtube, unless they don't do that anymore. It's just that the person who recorded it, didn't pan back towards the castle. And I couldn't think/remember if one could see tinkerbell/zero/flyer-du-jour from there if they simply turned around.

While It's a Small World (IASW, or SW) is used for projections for I believe all the firework shows it not a good alternative to the hub. Depending where you are tall trees along the Small World Plaza will block your view of projections on the Matterhorn or Characters flying in the sky. Also low fireworks are blocked. Another problem is the high fireworks are above and to the left of the Small World facade, very high up.

From in front of the Castle you can see everything in view which is ideal.
                                      Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X