This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Drive from AZ to CA

Does any other Zonians have any fun things they do on the road trip out to Cali? I know there are dinosaurs.. but I forget where... and does anyone know of any cool road side dinners along the way??

My upcoming trip we will have more time to explore the road than normal (usually we drive at night, and on the way home we are in a rush to just get back and get unpacked etc..) This time we are leaving at like noon so we can explore a bit more

Also--- since we are leaving at noon, that's great for phx traffic BUT where do you think we will hit bad la traffic? On the 60? or not till the 91? And any advice on the traffic would be great since we have never really driven in it before.. THANKS MICE CHATTERS!

Re: Drive from AZ to CA

For my Leap Year trip I hit the I-10 by 11:00am. I didn't hit any traffic until the 60. When you first get on the 60, you wind through some mountains and as you come down you start to enter a city (I can't quite remember which one) and thats when I encountered a lot of traffic. By the time I got used to the California drivers (and started driving like them) traffic had started to move faster and wasn't that far from the 91.

We are leaving at noon next week too, im a bit nervous about leaving that late. We will for sure hit some kind of LA rush hour traffic...I know an hour doesn't seem like much difference but depending on how many times you stop and for how long, it makes the difference. I think I had stopped a total of 4 times (no longer than 10 min each time) and made it luckily before the CRAZY rush hour started.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Comment

I drive from Tucson to Anaheim almost yearly, sometimes more than once...

Not sure about what to see on the drive. For me, I just try to get to the LA area as fast as possible. Minimal stops and no sight seeing so I really can't help you there.

As for traffic, I almost always hit traffic at the 10/60 split. Congestion tends to start somewhere around Banning. My plan is to always hit it early mid-day, or late (after 8pm) to avoid traffic. If that's not possible based on your timing, make sure you have a smart phone with you that has google maps and GPS. You can turn on real time traffic updates and it will show you the best/least congested route to Harbor Blvd...

You are leaving at noon from PHX? That should put you in the Inland Empire sometime around 6ish (right at rush hour.) If you are a shopper, I suggest hitting the outlet mall in Cabazon and wasting a little time. Awesome deals to be had in there, especially in the bigger stores like Nike, Puma, Polo and Saks...
      Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

Comment

THAT MALL! Ok I knew there was an outlet mall and I wanted to stop at it but I couldnt recall where it was! Thank you! I've never been to that one before..

Comment

As a everyday driver of the IE if you take the 60 to the 57 to ball you should fly right threw. You are going the opposite direction of traffic so it is atleast going 60 mph. As long as there are no accidents of course
          Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

so skip the 91 and stay on the 60? I have never gone that way. Sounds good to me if I can skip the crazy traffic!

Comment

Originally posted by CSei2011 View Post
              Does any other Zonians have any fun things they do on the road trip out to Cali? I know there are dinosaurs.. but I forget where... and does anyone know of any cool road side dinners along the way??

My upcoming trip we will have more time to explore the road than normal (usually we drive at night, and on the way home we are in a rush to just get back and get unpacked etc..) This time we are leaving at like noon so we can explore a bit more

Also--- since we are leaving at noon, that's great for phx traffic BUT where do you think we will hit bad la traffic? On the 60? or not till the 91? And any advice on the traffic would be great since we have never really driven in it before.. THANKS MICE CHATTERS!
              You heard wrong about the dinosaurs. They have been extinct for several hundred million years.

You can stop and sink a few at the Slash X cafe in Barstow after topping your tank up on $4.35 gas. Other than that the drive from Phx is a pretty boring one. Best to strap on a diaper, fill up the tank and try to drive straight through.

Comment

Agreed. The trip from Phoenix using the I-10 is really boring

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Comment

I believe the dinos are still there in Cabazon.

We also usually hit up the first In N Out on Ramon Road. Not quite as fun now that we have them all over Phx...

Comment

They're are dinosaurs after you pass the Cabazon outlets...

---------- Post added 09-05-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

Here is some more info...
                    Cabazon Dinosaurs - Cabazon, CA

Comment

I usually just take the drive with minimal stops . I wouldn't be able to focus on any other destinations on the way with Disneyland on my mind! However, I do really look forward to the giant windmills for some reason (lol) AND those awesome dinos!

Comment

I'm from Tucson myself, but last year moved out to Orange County. Whenever I drive, I too just want to get there right away. But I do avoid the 91 when I come back into town. I usually take the 60 until I get to the 57* and take that into Anaheim.
                        Last edited by iagut070; 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM. Reason: My mistake for the typo!

Comment

Not 55 it's the 57 just stay on the 60 it's about 15-20 miles past the 91 interchange

Comment

The outlet mall name has changed.... can't think to what... but they are great for a clean restroom stop and some shopping. I also do recommend the 60 to the 57. However.... I drove that way in july (at night) and there was a freeway closure in the 60/57 area. Might want to check road construction schedules if you can find them. And I agree with all the PP's who said they don't stop much because they just wanna get there!!!! 6 hours from tempe including a stop at the new (and still clean!!!) Subway in Blythe. :-)
                            I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Comment

Interesting. I've always taken the 91 instead of the 60 all the way to the 57. It looks like the 60 to the 57 adds 6 miles to the trip. Is the traffic that much better that it makes up for it in time?

Comment

To my neighbors to the east...

There is no way to avoid traffic congestion in Southern California no matter what freeways you choose. Non-rush hour gets narrower and narrower by the day. And when it isn't rush hour there's either an accident, or construction, or both.

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the beauty of the Mojave Desert on the way over. And most of all be safe!

Comment

When I drive to Disneyland I'm driving from Tucson, and my favorite thing to do is annoy people with Disney facts and sing Disney songs

Comment

I always check on Roaside America to see what I might come across on a road trip.

Arizona Tourist Attractions

---------- Post added 09-05-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

Are these the dinos you were looking for? Cabazon Dinosaurs, Cabazon, California

Comment

Most so cal residents hate the 91 parking lot and I am one of them , it worth the 6 mile detour

Comment

Originally posted by Trav1Disney View Post
                                        Most so cal residents hate the 91 parking lot and I am one of them , it worth the 6 mile detour
                                        ^even though I am not a so cal resident!

Originally posted by sgtfox View Post
                                        Interesting. I've always taken the 91 instead of the 60 all the way to the 57. It looks like the 60 to the 57 adds 6 miles to the trip. Is the traffic that much better that it makes up for it in time?
                                        IMO, Yes. We always used to stay on the 91 and over the last 10 years started taking the 60 instead. Generally a nicer drive IMO.
                                        I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X