This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Staying safe from the Sun in Disneyland

We've decided that we are going to do it - we're going to go to DL for the first time as parents.

My wife and I have been many many times, even a couple of new years eve trips, so we are pretty experienced Disneyland-goers.

However, this is our first time with a kid, who will be 2 1/2 years old. And she has a special circumstance: she can't be exposed to UV light or the Sun. When we are outside during the day, she wears a special hat with a face shield to protect her. You can see it at
    http://annaliberty.wordpress.com

I think we will be able to get a special pass that keeps us from waiting in lines in the sun.

Any tips for how to do DL that way?
    -Tennor-
    http://www.AnnaLiberty.Wordpress.com

Re: Staying safe from the Sun in Disneyland

GAC? I'm sure that people at city hall will be more than accomidating.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

We do have a representative from the XP Family Support group contacting Disneyland to get us a guest assistance card and whatever help they can do.
      -Tennor-
      http://www.AnnaLiberty.Wordpress.com

Comment

I don't think so, maybe just a letter explaining, but I'm not sure if they are that concerned.

---------- Post added 09-06-2012 at 11:22 AM ----------

Also it helps that you have been to the parks in the past and know the layout. I'm sure you and your little one will have a great time!
        I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Get to know the location of the Infant Care Center, right by the Plaza Inn Restaurant and the red Corn Dog truck. Talk with the ladies there, don't be shy to discuss your child's condition. They could allow you to stay as long as you'll need to.
          And get the GAC card.
          I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

When I worked at DTD we'd get families with sun-sensitive or light-sensitive people. Not to give away where I worked, but one time we had an entire group where we blocked off the second floor and turned off the lights. We were happy to accommodate. You won't be the first. You don't need medical documentation for a GAC. Simply ask at City Hall. That said, a GAC is not necessarily a front-of-the-line pass.

I see on your blog (your DD is adorable, by the way) that you have a special stroller. I'd definitely bring that along. Ask the CM at each attraction if there's a shaded or covered area where you can wait. Good luck, and I think you're going to have a great time!

Comment

When are you planning your trip? In this case it may be better to go during the winter which is the rainy season. It may be rainy, but at least there will be no sun and it is dark by late afternoon. Another time could be during late May through mid June when it is not rainy but it is often overcast (known locally as the May Gray and June Gloom).

Comment

I don't have XP but I'm very photosensitive so I have spent a lot of time dodging the sun. Here are some ideas:

1. GAC, as everyone has said.
                2. During the heat of the day head for the indoor show attractions like the Enchanted Tiki Room and Aladdin.
                3. Try to go on a day when it's open until midnight. That will give you much more time when the sun is down and you can walk freely around the park. At night they don't have a lot of glaring street lights and it's very cool. If you're going in, say, November and you're there on a day when it's open until 12, you're going to get a good seven hours of darkness.
                4. If she wants to do the outdoor attractions like Dumbo, Astro-Orbitor, Autopia, Storybook Land Canals, the Bugs Land rides, etc. hit those after sundown. Dumbo does close during fireworks but it opens back up quickly.
                5. Blue Bayou is a totally enclosed and very dimly lit, atmospheric restaurant right next to Pirates. It's "fancy" but they do have a kids' menu and it might be a good way to avoid eating lunch somewhere where there's sunlight from opening and closing doors and windows. Also, it's set up like a nighttime wonderland.
                6. I always carry an umbrella...maybe you could set her up with a really cute (UV resistant) parasol that she won't mind carrying. It could be a cute memento for the characters to autograph.
                7. Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel is also indoors and away from windows, but is very fun, and has character interactions--so it might be a way to get some sun-free time at lunch.
                8. The Disneyland Railroad always has a canopy and they might be able to get you into the Lilly Belle or another enclosed car--so taking the train might be a good way to get from one end of the park to another instead of walking in the sun.

Have a wonderful time!!
                Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by Meville View Post

Also it helps that you have been to the parks in the past and know the layout. I'm sure you and your little one will have a great time!

I think this is the best advice. It is what I do. It may sound like alotta work, but I have learned to factor in where the sun will be during each part of my DL day. I came up with a game plan in the 90s before the web exploded with info. I think now-a-days it is easier to plan a shaded trip. Plz keep in mind that I do not have XP, there may be something I am missing and/or my issue is easier to simplify than your DD.

Enjoy the parks!

Comment

I'm so happy that you aren't letting your daughter's condition keeping you from living your lives and letting her enjoy stuff.

I tend to burn real easy and am the guy you will see wearing jeans when it is in the high 30's (celsius) (though for our trip in 9 days my wife seems to have finally convinced me to try for some knee length shorts) but it is no where near the same thing.

I don't have much else to add except to note that most of the ideas I've seen here are good ones.

Enjoy the trip when ever it is and if you are so inclined a trip report to let us know how it went would be awesome.
                    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
                    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
                    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
                    Planned Trip: DLR August 2018

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
                    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X