Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Please... Give me some space!

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on how to keep others from crowding me in the park. It really bothers me when I'm standing in line and the people behind me practically stand on top of me. Not only am I worried about potential pick-pockets, but it's miserable when someone is RIGHT behind you. I don't want to share their germs or smell their breath! It's not unusual for these people to not pay attention and step on my foot or something! I hope I don't sound intolerant, but not only does this bother me, it's totally unnecessary. All they have to do is stop and stand 2-3 feet behind me. They're not going to get on the attraction any sooner by leaving only 1 inch between us! Of course it's worse when they have a balloon that keeps hitting me, but that's another story! If I scoot up in line, so do they.

So--- do you have any ideas on how I can discourage this behavior? (I visit the park during low crowd days, and am really a nice person!) I think people just don't pay attention to what they're doing, but don't know for sure...

Re: Please... Give me some space!

this bothers me quite a bit, too. I usually just turn around and politely tell them to keep back. Sometimes I'll laugh and make a joke about it as I tell them. Either way, they'll stop crowding once you let them know. Just speak up.

Comment

Stop short a couple of times when you are walking. After they smack into you 3 or 4 times they will realize they need to leave more space.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

1) Skip the deodorant.

2) Bean burrito the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

2) Bean burrito the night before.
          And don't be shy using it!
          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

The ever popular hacking, wet, coughing fit will do the trick too. Maybe some gross snorting sounds to add to the drama.

Comment

I find if you stand sideways when you come to a stop you at least have space directly in front of you, even if they are right next to you...but if you are sideways they also tend to leave a little more space, in my experience...
              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Seriously, though. When my kids were real, real young babies, and people would let their kids get in their faces, I'd very politely recomend they get their children checked out by a doctor, since my own child was "so highly contagious."
                It really got people out of their way!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Start making weird noises and picking your nose and they'll go away. Works every time!

Comment

I second the idea of standing sideways, but also put your hands on your hips so if anyone wanders too close he/she will run into an elbow. Nobody expects that.

Comment

Have a heated, violent argument with yourself on which Darren on "Bewitched" was the more compelling actor. You'll have the queue to yourself in seconds.
                      "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by CassiefRN View Post
                        I find if you stand sideways when you come to a stop you at least have space directly in front of you, even if they are right next to you...but if you are sideways they also tend to leave a little more space, in my experience...
                        I do this too. however since I'm tall I can easily lean (not sit) on the rails and have my feet stretched to the ground of the opposite railing.

Comment

Coughing and sniffling work wonders.

There have been a few occasions where I've turned and said "excuse me, could you step back?" If I have a shopping back or purse I will sometimes swing that just to give myself a few inches of room.
                          Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

A couple good accidental backpack swings usually do the trick. Especially if you stop short and they hit your backpack instead of you...
                            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by CassiefRN View Post
                              ^^This, along with having your hands on your hips with your elbows out... makes for the perfect space

Comment

Thanks everyone for some great ideas. I can't wait to use them. I wonder if I could find a Halloween costume that is a porcupine suit?!?! That would certainly solve the problem!!! :thumbup:

Comment

Actually, I prefer to do it the more discrete way. I would turn around and start talking to them, asking how their day was going and discussing various things. Since I have a Drama class in school, I find it very natural to just spark up a good conversation with them. Not only does this have them back up a bit more so there is room for me to do small hand gestures while I talk, but it also helps improve relationships so that when the "Can you please leave a little more space between you and I" question comes up, it doesn't seem to abrupt or rude.

Also, slightly off topic. If you ever go to Disneyland Paris, EXPECT THAT A LOT. The French don't have an idea about personal space. It's not that they're rude or anything, but it's just part of their culture. You will literally feel the breath of the person behind you running down your back. If you can get used to situations like that, you are prepared for this.

Total Tender Rides: 20
                                  Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
                                  Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
                                  Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

This is why God gave us elbows, that and he had some skin left over from... never mind I won't go there.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

In line for WOC fastpasses the guy behind me kept banging his stroller into the back of my ankles.I finally turned around and told him why don`t you just go ahead of me, he backed off.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X