This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why is there the hate for DCA? I didn't get it

Just recently went to Disney California Adventure and was pleasantly surprised at how well the park was done. Now I know they have done a lot recently to improving it with the addition of Carsland and such but I really thought the park was superb and this is coming from a WDW veteran. I don't understand the occasional hate for it.

Here are my thoughts on it:

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,

- Carsland was very immersive. Radiator Springs Racer was a great ride. Definitely makes it worth the trip

- Tower of Terror. Pretty similar to the WDW version. There is a slight upgrade for the WDW version but overall this is still a great ride at DCA and it gets me everytime.

- Good dark rides. Monsters Inc., Ariel are well done.

- Enough thrills to satisfy you. California Screamin' was a coaster that was more thrilling than I thought it would be.

- Theming is great. From Paradise Pear to Carsland to Hollywoodland. They all immersed you in their environment

- Grizzly Run was good. As was the leisurely trek across from it (forget the name of the attraction)

- Aladdin was a marvelous show. Very funny as well.

Overall I certainly don't put DCA above Disneyland. That is impossible and it is the same way in WDW. The Magic Kingdom is the #1 park and always will be. But the other three parks hold up very well on their own. DCA is the same way. It is a fantastic park on its own and combines the Disney atmosphere blended in with other themes.

Re: Why is there the hate for DCA? I didn't get it

DCA is great...but heck if it's as great as it's Sister Park (Disneyland) it has half the stuff to do and compare ToT to HM? Or Soarin to Pirates...Disneyland still has the better rides

I think most of the "old" hate comes from how cheap it was done.....current hate comes from stuff like the Pier still mainly just off the shelf carnival rides with a Disney Theme as for Monster Inc...it really does not fit theme to me..or do anything new so I think its a fine place holder....I think Disney can do better

Overall I do love DCA but with it being the same price as Disneyland I think is pretty stupid....it has less to do...and most of the E Ticket arn't as well done as the ones at Disney..yet it costs the same?
    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Phil View Post

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,
      Couldn't agree more. I don't think they'll ever beat it. You should've seen it when Hunchback was still used. It was even better.

As for the topic at hand, I love DCA. I actually spend more time there than in Disneyland lately. As for PP, I'd hardly call Mermaid, Screamin' and Toy Story, of the shelf carnival rides. Heck even the Fun Wheel has a special Disney signature about it. As someone who's only been to the anaheim parks, I never had any issue with DCA before the revamp. It's certainly better now, but I always enjoyed it. Monsters needs to go, simply because of theming, that's really my only complaint. The could definitely use more rides, and Hollywood still lacks a distinct theme, but it's on the right track.

Comment

I think there WAS hate for DCA. Remember that 90% of the things you just mentioned were not there on opening day.
        Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

DCA had real issues on its opening day and I think a lot of the "hate" stems from that. As far as a second gate that was supposed to compliment and support DL it failed epically during its first decade.

Over time, and as things were changed and added to it, it has really grown on me and my family. I really enjoy it now and though nostalgia still puts DL above DCA for me, it is indeed a good complimentary partner to the original magic kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by cruise View Post
            I think there WAS hate for DCA. Remember that 90% of the things you just mentioned were not there on opening day.
            This!

Basically, DCA committed an unforgivable sin to its fans. It dissapointed, and failed to live up to expectations and potential. They really have done much to rectify this, although I do think they still have more work to do.
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

DCA has really evolved. They've gotten rid of most of the worst elements from back in 2001 (although it was still fun back then). Superstar Limo and the Maliboomer just never fit in with the rest of Disney.

Comment

welcome welcome ztonyg to the MiceChat family
                yes the rides from DCA 1.0 where fun but not for a disney park
                maybe a six flags or cedar fair park
                Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

I think the harsh complaints about DCA stopped maybe in 2008 or 2009. Somewhere around that time. As of right now, people love it. Now if we're talking about DCA from 2001 to 2007, then I can answer for you. There was absolutely no love or thought that went into the park. It was like walking into an amusement park, rather than a theme park, though I will admit I've always thought Condor Flats was pretty well themed at the time and even now. It was just a big mess and it didn't feel like I was in a Disney park. Every time I was in DCA, I always thought about Disneyland. Now I can happily say I can spend entire days at DCA without really thinking about DL too much. They've done wonders to DCA and it shows. I love that park.
                  Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

DCA 1.0 was boring to me .... yes horrible to think I know
                    But it was, I maybe spent 4 hours there my whole trip? Then later on I started going back into the park just for WOC

Now it's a different story, I spend a full day in DCA and even have a few places I like to eat at!!
                    sigpic

Comment

I think this article sums it up pretty nicely. Disney upgrades, updates California Adventure Park - USATODAY.com

What do you think all? Did DCA get it's "prince" with it's updates?

Comment

harsh comments or not, it never stopped me from going to DCA. I loved it then, i love it now.It is a great park i think and i enjoy it very much, i can spend a very good amount of time at that park! I could spend a good amount of time even before the remodel. I don't understand why the hate of DCA but i guess i will never understand.. I know this one person she used to hate DCA and bad mouth it all the time, now the remodel is done she spend all her time at DCA and well pretty much all of her time at Mad T-Party ( a little sad but oh well)..i guess to each is their own!

Comment

I also feel like DCA really is an entirely different park with a different feel. I love that I'm going to be able to relax and have some adult beverages in the park. Very different.... But I wouldn't want them bringing alcohol into Disneyland. Is that weird?

Comment

DCA 1.0 was a mess, more shops and restraunts then attractions, made for a very quick day at the park.

Also, take into account all of the items you listed were either not present when the park opened or are no longer in thier original form.

It has been amazing to see all the positive changes that have been made at the park.

Disney California Adventure is now a complete and worthy sister park for Disneyland.

Comment

I have always loved DCA but now I always find myself going there first and spending more time there then I ever had before
                              Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

DCA sure has come a long way. Back when it first opened, there really wasn't a lot of stuff. Now, Carsland is one of the best "lands" on the property, and BVS is a whole lot better than Sunshine Plaza.

I often forget how much there is in DCA because some of the attractions are easy to miss, such as It's Tough to Be a Bug.

That being said, Paradise Pier still suffers from the fact that you can see hotels and outside stuff from outside the park. Screamin' is just a roller coaster, and while Mickey's Fun Wheel looks ok, and is part of WoC, waiting 30 mins for just a Ferris Wheel is not a classic Disney experience. I guess that the Fun Wheel is a lot of fun for kids who has never been on a Ferris Wheel, but in terms of re-rideability I think it is lacking.

I think DCA has come a long way, but there is a lot more to do, especially the Hollywood area and I would like to see Monsters Inc. drastically upgraded, in addition to "fixing" the second half of Mermaid which has an unfinished look.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
                                  Also, take into account all of the items you listed were either not present when the park opened or are no longer in thier original form.
                                  The only two items mentioned by the OP that were present at opening are California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run.

When I went a week or two after opening I rode and saw everything I wanted, which was the majority of the park, within three hours. I went on Muppets 3D, Golden Dreams, California Screamin', It's Tough To Be A Bug, Maliboomer, Mulholland Madness (now Goofy's Sky School), Soarin' Over California and the Sun Wheel (now Mickey's Fun Wheel). Sadly, Superstar Limo was closed, and I skipped Grizzly River Run due to it being February. Then I took the bakery tour and ate the bread bowl soup (which I still enjoy) and I was done.

I didn't "hate" the experience but it was included with my annual pass (about $100 at the time!) so I didn't pay the going day rate of $43 for those three hours. I did not renew that pass so if I went back into DCA on future visits before it expired it would have only been to ride California Screamin'. But I honestly do not remember any specific visits after that first visit, though I remember stopping by DL on Friday evenings to ride the Matterhorn quite a bit that year.

Remember also that DCA was touted as a Disney character-free experience. Hard to wrap one's head around, I know, but the identifiable characters were Muppets and Pixar, not Disney. Even in the shops.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                                    Remember also that DCA was touted as a Disney character-free experience. Hard to wrap one's head around, I know, but the identifiable characters were Muppets and Pixar, not Disney. Even in the shops.
                                    From an interview Bob Iger recently gave:

Question: It does seem strange that it was a California theme park with hardly any Disney characters.

Bob Iger: "We probably underestimated how much people would demand Disney when they come to a park that has the Disney name on it."

You might think he was talking about more than just the characters . . .

Comment

Disneyland still has the better rides and has more to do, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad park. When I visited DCA for the first time in 2008 I thought it was a lousy park and was a little disjointed. However, when I visited again this past spring I was real surprised. I thought the updates that had been done already were cool, the landscaping was better, and it felt like there was more to do with it.

I don't really get why DCA is still so downplayed. It has decent attractions and good food.
                                      Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

"Hate" is a strong word. I'd say I was incredibly unimpressed with DCA 1.0. The same price as DL, but with half the rides and it opened later and closed earlier. And missing that uniquely "Disney" feel.

With the recent overhaul, they've taken some great steps in the right direction. Stay the course, keep the people around who made the difference, and watch the park come into its own. They've made a great change for the better recently.
                                        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X