This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Rumors you've heard about fastpass

These are some that I've heard from family/friends/people walking around...

I'm not saying these people are stupid or anything, I used to think some of this too!

• "I think they cost money" (one I used to think for awhile when I was 9/10 years old, probably the one myth I hear the most)
    • "If you get one for World of Color in the morning, you can't get any for rides all day!"
    • "One fastpass gets everybody in, so we just need everyone to get a fastpass each for a separate ride!"
    • I've heard people call it Flashpass, which is what they have in Six Flags parks I believe
    • "Fastpasses? Those are only for employees to get on the rides."
    • "If you didn't enjoy the ride they let you get in the fastpass line so you don't have to wait again"
    • "If you get one, you can't have another all day". (another popular one).
    • You can't hold more than one at once (this used to be true, to be fair, but isn't anymore).
    • "It doesn't matter which machine you put it in, it will pop out a fastpass for whichever ride you tell it!" (I think a kid said this one, hahaha.)
    • "It's for handicapped people"
    • "oo, they're cutting."
    • "you have to buy them online"
    • the concept that you have to buy a single Fastpass at the beginning of the day, and carry it around to use at each ride.

Any other silly ones you've heard? Don't be ashamed if it was you, we've all been there

Re: Rumors you've heard about fastpass

The best rumor I heard was that it's actually beneficial for the guests.
    -Jack :geek:
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
      The best rumor I heard was that it's actually beneficial for the guests.
      it is...

Comment

Originally posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
        it is...
        Is it? Besides the fact that you actually wait longer to ride the ride than if you went in Stand By, it leaves you out of line where you are more apt to spend your money. Also, the Stand By queue times are even longer than pre-FastPass. If anything, it's a HUGE benefit for Disney and it's smart. People think it's beneficial and it increases their chances for you to spend your money on food and merch.
        -Jack :geek:
        Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Is it? Besides the fact that you actually wait longer to ride the ride than if you went in Stand By, it leaves you out of line where you are more apt to spend your money. Also, the Stand By queue times are even longer than pre-FastPass. If anything, it's a HUGE benefit for Disney and it's smart. People think it's beneficial and it increases their chances for you to spend your money on food and merch.
          Not for me. When I get a fastpass I usually go on another ride. Besides I would much rather walk around and explore than wait in a stand by line for an hour. Thats an hour I could use to sit on a bench and enjoy the atmosphere.
          Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Comment

I still can't figure out why FP's are bad. I keep reading different explanations why, but I have yet to see it impact my day in a negative way.

1. Get FP for high-capacity ride A.
            2. Go do something else (perhaps get another pass for high-capacity ride B, depending on the time window printed).
            3. Come back to ride A. Walk on the ride anywhere from 1-15 min later.
            4. Go on ride B with other FP.
            5. Hit other rides with shorter wait times, eat, stroll, etc while waiting for rides A and B.
            6. Gather other FP's as time windows permit.

Sounds all good to me.
            "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
              • You can't hold more than one at once (this used to be true, to be fair, but isn't anymore).
              Never been true at Disneyland. There are/were FastPass machines not "in the loop" with the other machines and you can/could hold concurrent FastPasses for those rides. Sneakily, early on you could also use other cards with similar barcodes to get FastPasses. The Knott's AP worked at one time (I never did this, BTW).

Comment

- I've heard it referred to as "Fast Track"
                - I've heard people worrying that if they didn't get back to their attraction by the end of the window, they wouldn't allowed on (I wish this were true and they'd enforce return times).
                - I've also heard the one that if you get a WoC fastpass you won't be able to get attractions FPs.

Tangent:

FP IS beneficial for me. I personally think that if I'm going to wait two hours to ride Space Mountain, I'd rather spend that t2 hours doing something else in the park, rather than shuffling through a long line in the hot sun. Before FP the lines were still atrociously long, and they're horrible at events where FP is not available, so I don't take stock in the whole "without FP you'd get on sooner!" theory.
                Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

- I've heard people worrying that if they didn't get back to their attraction by the end of the window, they wouldn't allowed on (I wish this were true and they'd enforce return times).
                  If it were true, then you'd have some pretty upset guests. When my GF and I turned up for our window to ride RSR recently, the attraction had gone 101. They allowed us to return with our passes later on that night. Using the deadline you're proposing, we'd be SOL by no fault of our own.
                  "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

The spending more money thing may be their sneaky reason behind it, but that's still up to the guests entirely, I certainly wouldn't stand around for two hours and buy a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise.

But the other part of it, I don't see. Like the other folks on here said, I would just walk around and enjoy the park, or go on a ride with a much shorter queue than wait around in a standby line. I can't help but laugh sometimes when there's a 3 hour line for splash mountain and everyone's in it, when they could get a fastpass and return an hour or two later.

Comment

My enjoyment of the parks went up with the addition of Fastpass. Therefore, I don't care if the lines actually are longer or now I will spend more money. My enjoyment is why I pay to go to the park, not to have to wait in 2 hour lines when there is an alternative.
                      Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                        If it were true, then you'd have some pretty upset guests. When my GF and I turned up for our window to ride RSR recently, the attraction had gone 101. They allowed us to return with our passes later on that night. Using the deadline you're proposing, we'd be SOL by no fault of our own.
                        Not really. It's been discussed here a bunch of times before, and it refers to guests who get Fastpasses and then show up whenever they feel like it--hours and hours after their return time--therefore crowding the FP return line and inconveniencing all the guests who DID return at the correct time. It doesn't refer to guests who don't get to ride because the attraction is down.

It's enforced in other Disney parks and they have started to enforce it at RSR, in fact...when a ride goes down they can always give out passes to accommodate the guests who miss out on their return time through no fault of their own.

Comment

I have never waited "longer than if I waited in stand by" ever in over a decade of using the fast pass system. The FP lines have always been shorter than the stand by lines.

Comment

I love fastpass! The first time I went to DL/DCA as an adult I didn't know about the system.

Comment

It only took one post for this threat to become about the merit of Fastpass... this has to be a new record.
                              Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

One time I took a buddy first-timer to the park. Indiana Jones had a long line (naturally) so I said "Alright, let's get a fastpass." He took his wallet out and said "Ok, how much are they?"

Click the banner! ^^^^
                                Follow us on Twitter
                                @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                                Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                                  I have never waited "longer than if I waited in stand by" ever in over a decade of using the fast pass system. .
                                  Yes you have. If you read hollywood1939's post, they weren't talking about the length of the FastPass line. They were talking about the wait for your FastPass window to open, which is often longer than the standby line, sometimes by hours. They were talking about waiting for the start of your hour window, or in your case, waiting for the start of the time after you can just go into the fastpass line whenever you want up until park closing, since I think you posted that you're one of those people that does that. Sorry to have to call you out for that, but you kind of asked for it.

Comment

Yeah...let me say I'd rather get a FP for Space...go on 3 rides and come back and wait like 10 mins for Space...then just get on it once....and waited an hour for the ride

If you know how to use FP...you always save time in the end
                                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Yeah, it really is about the quality of the wait.

Waiting for two hours, while eating/shopping/seeing a show/wandering/riding other attractions > waiting 90 minutes in a slow moving line, staring mindlessly at the person in front of you.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                                        Yes you have. If you read hollywood1939's post, they weren't talking about the length of the FastPass line. They were talking about the wait for your FastPass window to open, which is often longer than the standby line, sometimes by hours. They were talking about waiting for the start of your hour window, or in your case, waiting for the start of the time after you can just go into the fastpass line whenever you want up until park closing, since I think you posted that you're one of those people that does that. Sorry to have to call you out for that, but you kind of asked for it.

This is false logic.

You are saying it is better to do nothing for two hours but stand in a line for an attraction than to get a fast pass, enjoy other attractions and entertainment for say four hours, then wait in line for 20 minutes or so for that attraction. It is silly to count the time it takes for the FP to activate as part of a "wait." Sorry right back at you but that is laughable.

If I am getting a fast pass, then I understand I will not be riding the attraction right away. I am not "waiting" for anything. I am out in the park, enjoying other things. So NO...I have not waited longer than on stand by. The longest FP line I have ever waited in was 30 minutes, which was worth it considering the standby line was over two hours. I did not get the fast pass thinking, "golly now I have to wait all this time until it is usable." I got the fast pass knowing it would allow me to get on the attraction relatively quickly at a later time, after I have enjoyed a bunch of other stuff.
                                        Last edited by Goofy Daddy; 09-14-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X