Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] How about a Disneyland Waterpark?

Hey guys....it's really hot today.

So it got me thinking, what would you think if Disneyland had its own waterpark?

I know, there's already Raging Waters and Soak City nearby. But c'mon it would be a Disney Waterpark!

And, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are pretty cool at WDW. So it's not like Disney doesn't have experience building one.

Thoughts?

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Re: How about a Disneyland Waterpark?

I'd be fine with it, only if it were Disney themed (for example, not Typhoon Lagoon, and not Blizzard Beach), and only if it was well done.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

Once again, the demand for water parks in So Cal isn't as big as it is in Florida. Other than Soak City the nearest "water park" near Disneyland is the beach, and it is only 20 minutes away and doesn't cost a dime to get into.

Comment

I never have been a huge fan of water parks. When I went to Disney World, the day my wife and her friend took all the kids to the water park, I decided to take the day for myself and try to drink my way around the world at EPCOT.
        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
          I never have been a huge fan of water parks. When I went to Disney World, the day my wife and her friend took all the kids to the water park, I decided to take the day for myself and try to drink my way around the world at EPCOT.
          I completely agree with this - on several levels.

Do water parks really need elaborate Disney-like theming? I tend to doubt it.
          Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
            Once again, the demand for water parks in So Cal isn't as big as it is in Florida. Other than Soak City the nearest "water park" near Disneyland is the beach, and it is only 20 minutes away and doesn't cost a dime to get into.
            Unless you pay $10 for parking! lol
            Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Comment

I think the last time I was at a water park I was about 10.
              I much prefer the beach!

Comment

If DLR really wants to offer an overall experience, then a water park is probably the only thing they can add (and maybe miniature golf if they choose to). WDW has golf (not enough room), race car driving (not enough room), multiple different boating experiences (not enough room), and multiple other experiences that would not fit. In 20 years DLR could have 3 theme parks, 2 dining and entertainment districts, one water park, and possibly a mini golf couse or two. If DLR gets to that amount of unique offerings, it really could finally become the cash cow that WDW has been for the company.
                Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Noooo Thank you.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I read somewhere that one possible development plan for the DLR was that once the second gate problems were fixed (DCA) that they hoped to start planning a 3rd gate in the "strawberry field" that is kitty-corner from DCA towards the garden walk. Speculation said that at least one of the contingency plans was for that 3rd gate to be a water park. Personally I agree with many of the others on here so far...Disney themed or not...I have little interest in a water park. I can go to the beach, a local water park, heck even my gym now has a mini-water park in the pool area for the kids. Slapping Disney characters onto the water slides and wading pools doesn't make it any more interesting to me to be honest, even as a big fan of Disney.

Comment

The biggest problem with a water park out here in SoCal is the weather. It can't run year round like the water parks in Florida. It would take up a lot of space and not be able to be used all year long.
                      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

^Exactly, something seasonal is not what Disney is interested in at all, especially given the limited amount of space.

Comment

Personally I think that's a great idea. For those that have been to Typhoon Lagoon they'll know what I am talking about when I say that Disney has the ability to immerse you in a waterpark without you even thinking. Typhoon does that to you because you never think for a second you are at a waterpark. You think you are at a tropical beach. I don't know if Disneyland Resort can do this with their limited space as it is but you never know. Plus I believe with heated water this can run year round. It isn't as if you are swimming in the ocean in January in SoCal, but if you had the option to go to a water park who wouldn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Phil View Post
                            Personally I think that's a great idea. For those that have been to Typhoon Lagoon they'll know what I am talking about when I say that Disney has the ability to immerse you in a waterpark without you even thinking. Typhoon does that to you because you never think for a second you are at a waterpark. You think you are at a tropical beach. I don't know if Disneyland Resort can do this with their limited space as it is but you never know. Plus I believe with heated water this can run year round. It isn't as if you are swimming in the ocean in January in SoCal, but if you had the option to go to a water park who wouldn't?
                            Locals. There's a reason why Soak City doesn't operate year-round. It's not that the water is cold. It's that the air is cold when you get out of the water and have to wait in the wind for your turn on the slide or whatever. You're talking about people who break out the hats, gloves, and scarves when it hits 60 degrees. And I say that with great affection, being one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Phil View Post
                              And locals, once again. A water park would not be immersive to them because most of them have been to the local beaches. Sure, they might enjoy a tropical beach setting but I don't see how it could immerse them in the experience because they have all been to the real beach just down the road and they have their own cultural definition of what a real beach actually is. Unless Disney were to convincingly replicate this, no beach experience in a water park could be authentic enough to convince the local guest that they have escaped to the real thing.

Similarly this is why the Hollywood portion of DCA doesn't quite work. In Florida most people have not been to the real Hollywood, so portraying it as this glamorous and exotic place is an easier sell. In California, most people consider Hollywood to be a dump. Admittedly it has improved to a certain extent with the recent Hollywood and Highland redevelopment, but the stigma still exists in the local's minds. And it is a lot harder to convince them that they are in the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 14 MPH View Post
                                Hey guys....it's really hot today.

So it got me thinking, what would you think if Disneyland had its own waterpark?

I know, there's already Raging Waters and Soak City nearby. But c'mon it would be a Disney Waterpark!

And, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are pretty cool at WDW. So it's not like Disney doesn't have experience building one.

Thoughts?
                                I think traditionally it isnt hot enough in so cal for long enough. The park would basically be shut down for like 6 months of the year.

Comment

A Disney-themed water park makes sense to me. I'd go to it as long as it was Disney themed; remove the theming and you'll have something as uninteresting as Soak City, etc.

Yes, it will be seasonal. ....as are all other water parks in the area so the playing field is level in that regard.

Yes, there's an ocean nearby but I'd rather go to a waterslide park for a variety of reasons. ( Better chance to park within walking distance to your destination, all beaches out here have 15-30 minutes of impacted traffic to get in or out, and there's no guarantee that you'll be parked within an hour. ) For your effort you get 0% slides/pipes and 100% sand in places you don't want it. Nah, a waterslide park is more fun to me, even in So-Cal.

Anyone remember the old Marineland out here in L.A.? Back in the late 70's they had an attraction unlike any other theme park I've seen before or since. You could put on a wetsuit and swim in a reef ( really, a maze ) that had a start and a finish, and you could interact with animals along the way. Honestly, I was surprised to find there were tiny sharks that were human friendly. I always wanted to see someone make this type of attraction again. Only Disney could/would.

Comment

I do remember the reef dive at Marineland! It was very cool.

But with regard to the water park, given the amount of space in the resort area, I would much rather Disney build something that could remain open year-round, like another park, than tie up that space with something that would be closed half the year. If there were nothing but free open space then I might get behind the idea, but with space being as limited as it is, why waste it on a half a year venue?

Comment

Year-round indoor water park with state-of-the-art rides. There's still no "water coaster" anywhere near these parts, AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
                                        Yes, it will be seasonal. ....as are all other water parks in the area so the playing field is level in that regard.
                                        It isn't about a level playing field. Disney would not want to waste the little space they have in Anaheim on a 3rd gate that would not be open the entire year, or if it was, it would be operating at a loss due to being at below minimum capacity for a decent portion of the year.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X