Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Would this be too long of a commute?

I'm from San Diego and am currently living here. If I was hired at Disneyland either part time or full time in around 2-5 months, would I make enough to handle the 1 hour and 15 minute drive? I know it's a long distance with gas prices nowadays. Trying to decide if it would even be worth it! Or maybe I should wait until I have enough money and time in a few years to move up there for good.

Also, if you work at Disneyland, how long is your commute?

Re: Would this be too long of a commute?

A few things you should know.

1. Almost nobody gets hired full time right out of the gate, unless it's for a desk job at TDA. If you want regular hours and good pay, that's the way to go.

2. Much as we like to think otherwise, being a CM is, in practice, no different from working at the mall. You'll have random shifts and irregular hours.

3. Is that hour and a quarter commute in good traffic? You'll probably work a lot of Fridays and Sundays, w/ all that out of town traffic.

If I were you, I'd either move to OC or try working at Sea World. It's more local to you, which would eliminate the traffic issue. You could gain some experience there and then go for DL later.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Comment

I've actually heard of people that commuted from San Diego to work on the weekends, so it's not impossible. But gas prices are really high right now, so you have to consider the costs.

If you have family near Disneyland, I would ask them if you could stay there while you work your shifts if you have some a few days in a row.

Also, it depends on what role you're doing. I think most roles get paid a bit above minimum wage, but not significantly above it.

Comment

I agree with Broadway Guru. A major factor is going to be very irregular hours with erratic scheduling. DLR is notorious for wanting you to work on their schedule, not them wanting to work on your schedule. You'd have to assume peak traffic to be safe, especially coming to work.

Comment

I know a City Hall Employee who commutes 5 days a week! She lives in Santee (San Diego). I think she's worked there for about 3-4 years now doing the same commute.

Comment

I have a 12-15 minute commute rule. I would have to make $25-$35 an hour to even possibly question driving over an hour for a job.

Although, I think it would make way more sense to take the train.
            It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

Originally posted by ghosty4 View Post
              I have a 12-15 minute commute rule. I would have to make $25-$35 an hour to even possibly question driving over an hour for a job.

The way L.A. traffic is...I think you could live a few miles down the road from DLR and still not be able to get there in 12-15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ghosty4 View Post

I was also going to reccommend the train. The only problem with this is, as has been mentioned, the hours that you will be working. The train will only work out for you if your shift starts and ends at a time the the trains are running, and the last train out of Anaheim is usually around 10:30 or 10:45 or so at night. And we all know Disneyland's operating hours often go way past that.

Comment

I commute back/forth to OC at least once a month. Honestly, the traffic is so unpredictable between the two. You'd risk being late frequently.

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 06:48 AM ----------

Originally posted by simaand View Post
                  I know a City Hall Employee who commutes 5 days a week! She lives in Santee (San Diego). I think she's worked there for about 3-4 years now doing the same commute.
                  Wow, Santee is right by me. I give her kudos for that!

Comment

Originally posted by simaand View Post
                    Oh my gosh! That's awesome. I'm more north San Diego, so she's even farther than me!

Thanks guys for all the answers! Really appreciate hearing different points of view. My dad might move up to Anaheim and that would also solve my problem because I could just stay with him a lot of the time! But if not, I'll probably hold off from even applying/auditioning until maybe next year or the year after.

Comment

I just transferred jobs after doing a 35 minute commute (an hour with traffic) and it was just for my retail job. I did it for 2 years and, honestly, a lot of the time it wasn't worth the money I got paid to spend in gas. You will end up filling up your gas tank once or twice a week. That being said if I was working at Disneyland I probably would have been much more willing and grumpy about it. The biggest issue I had (and I'm not sure what shift like are at the parks) it was most frustrating when I spent all that time (up to 2 hours driving) for a short 4 hour shift.

Just my two cents, but I don't want to discourage you from trying other options and if you eventually moved closer trying to disneyland
                      sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

When I lived in SD, the commute was unpredictable. Somedays I could make it in 55 mins (no traffic, ever so slightly over the speed limit ), or it could take me 1 hr 45 mins. Most of the time the long commute was coming back down to SD.
                        The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Walt Disney World College Program, Spring 2005, Entertainment

Comment

Um, yes the commute is too long. Unless you get crazy gas mileage, there's no reason to go for a low-paying job that's an hour-plus drive both ways.

Comment

From our front door (South San Diego) to Stickey & Friends is 99.6 miles. We've done the one way trip in less that 80 minutes. We've done the trip in 330 minutes (Southbound). Most of the time it is around 90 minutes. Gas cost for a round trip is about $40 worth of premium. We have found most of the traffic in San Diego, not in OC.
                            That is a lot of wear & tear on your vehicle. Justifying that expense is up to you.
                            Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Comment

I'm from San Diego and I always thought about that commute if I were ever to live in San Diego but work in Anaheim. I don't think I could do it. It would take a massive toll on my sanity seeing as how I have nearly no patience for dead stopped traffic. You know what you could do is maybe stay in an Extended Stay hotel for the week or while you're working and then come home on your time off? I don't know what your schedule would be but it would be better than trying to drive all that way home after a shift.

Facebook me!
                              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Thank you everyone! I might get lucky and be able to stay with family. That is if I decide to proceed with attempting to get a job here soon.

Comment

I work in UTC (East La jolla lol) and my job has me traveling to the OC often. I would not want that drive as a regular commute. Not to mention the odd hours that you would work. I have a hard enough time driving home from Disneyland while visiting the park. I could not imagine driving at 2-3am after a 5-8 hr shift.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice in Wonderland View Post
                                    Thank you everyone! I might get lucky and be able to stay with family. That is if I decide to proceed with attempting to get a job here soon.
                                    Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

Comment

Where in SD do you live? I live in Mission Viejo in South OC and my bf lives in Pacific Beach. I stay with him every other weekend, and on Monday mornings, I leave at 5:45am to be at work by 7:30. My actual time on the freeway without traffic is almost always 55 minutes to an hour. Door to door, it's 1 hour and 20 minutes (I usually stop and get breakfast when I get back up here, and sometimes I'll drop my things off at my place). Sometimes the border check is open and that adds up to ten minutes. Traffic usually starts to slow down as soon as I get into San Juan and Mission Viejo, and I'd have to bet it only gets worse getting toward Anaheim. I would think you'd be looking at least at an hour and a half if you leave at the time I do. Even worse, if you get off work during rush hour, you'd have a heck of a drive getting back home. The times that I've taken off to SD when I get off work at 5:15, it's taken up to two and a half hours to get there. By 7-8pm traffic dies down enough to make the drive in what it would take me in the morning. It's definitely doable, but it would really have to be worth it to me to make that sort of a commute nearly every day.

Or, you can just move to OC if there's nothing holding you back from doing so. You'd be bound to have days off to go see family and friends. I'm actually looking to get a roommate, so hit me up if you decide to do that.

Comment

I live in Glendale and worked in Mission Viejo for 6 years. I really don't think its worth it, the commute is unpredictable, especially with rain and accidents. I had a 70 mile one way commute, and it took between 2-3 hours along with over 1K in gas every month.
                                        spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X