Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Profanity in the Parks

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Other] Profanity in the Parks

    Yesterday afternoon while boarding a bus at the Toy Story lot a man got on wearing a shirt with this written on it it big black letters: I WAS IN MIAMI B*TCH. It really bothered me when I saw the same man later on Main Street still wearing the shirt. Then while boarding BTMR I saw a woman wearing a rubber bracelet with b*tch on it too. What the what????? I know our children are exposed to this sort of language everywhere but I really don't want to see it at DL. I also thought there is a dress code. I was going to go to City Hall but the line was super long so I will send an email.

  • #2
    Re: Profanity in the Parks

    I would have forced him to turn the shirt inside-out and forced her to put the bracelet in her purse. Yes I'm a b*tch.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Profanity in the Parks

      In the past, I have seen CM's let people know their shirts need to be inside out if they include stuff like this on them. I guess they can't catch them all.

      Personally, I'm not offended by it or anything, but I would be sort of embarrassed to wear a shirt out in public like that I think. Not only is it super "LOOK AT ME" but you know you are surrounded by children and families who might say something to you. Maybe that's just me though.


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Profanity in the Parks

        I don't care as much about the small thing like a bracelet but I'm sure if I had young children with me I would be more blech about the shirt....not enough to say anything, but enough to wonder why that person thought that was a good idea. It's not as though I'm against swearing and profanity, to tell the truth I often swear like a sailor in my normal life, but when I go to Disneyland I'm always able to turn that off and respect that a good number of those around me may not appreciate it.
        sigpic

        Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Profanity in the Parks

          The bracelet could easily not be seen, not exactly in a place that one would easily see in general.

          The shirt, mixed thoughts since it is technically censored and not the word itself, and if a word can be said on TV uncensored (bitch certainly is) then I would say its okay to wear a censored shirt.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Profanity in the Parks

            While verbal profanity would be impossible to control, I feel like Disney Security shouldn't have any issues asking guests to turn their clothing inside out.
            -Brian

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Profanity in the Parks

              I suspect that the shirt was particularly offensive to Pluto.
              WDW - 1987 & 1991
              DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
              DLR - October 2011




              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Profanity in the Parks

                This is an interesting topic. While I've never considered the visual profanity/profanity in attire, it seems reasonable to expect a certain level of dress code be upheld. (Even if it is relatively lax.)

                The thread title first took my mind to verbal profanity -- a topic about which I am of two minds. While I certainly think that theme parks should be an environment for everyone to enjoy themselves, and excessively profane behavior should be addressed, I must admit to personally falling victim to excitement in the parks and letting loose a four-letter word in my blind linguistic spouting.

                I usually catch myself.
                Usually.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Profanity in the Parks

                  Yeah most CM's would stop him from entering the park, I love freedom of speech and all but sometimes I think people just wear stuff like this just to get attention rather then have a "real" message
                  Happy Halloween!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Profanity in the Parks

                    In all honesty, I have a Cannibal Corpse shirt that reads "the time to kill is mother F'n now" I was planning on wearing out at the parks sometime soon. Me being employed, I wonder how well it will go

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Profanity in the Parks

                      Originally posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
                      In all honesty, I have a Cannibal Corpse shirt that reads "the time to kill is mother F'n now" I was planning on wearing out at the parks sometime soon. Me being employed, I wonder how well it will go

                      Why bother? You know where you are going right?
                      I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

                      Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

                      You know best :-)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Profanity in the Parks

                        It's ironic that this phrase comes from a LMFAO song and even they censored it. The actuall phrase in the song which is also the title, "I'm in Miami Trick". Find the video their shirts say bitch which are obscured in the video but the lyrics and name is trick.

                        Someone buys a dumb shirt, they don't need to be let in. That was thier mistake.
                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Profanity in the Parks

                          I have no problem with being let in, as long as the shirt is asked to be turned inside-out. I wouldn't wait to notify someone at City Hall--seems pointless ("well, about 1/2 an hour ago I saw a man in a blue shirt with profanity walking down Main Street" gee, that's helpful). If I saw the shirt throughout my day, I would report it to the nearest CM or security officer. I'm not going to blame CMs for not catching everything, but I will report it if I see it.

                          I just think wearing such a shirt is immature and classless. I often want to say to those people, really? You don't have anything else in your wardrobe to wear than a tacky or provocative shirt? To a place known to be completely conservative and packed with small children who can read? Would you wear that to a job interview? Are you really that clueless, or just looking for attention? How old are you?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Profanity in the Parks

                            Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                            I have no problem with being let in, as long as the shirt is asked to be turned inside-out. I wouldn't wait to notify someone at City Hall--seems pointless ("well, about 1/2 an hour ago I saw a man in a blue shirt with profanity walking down Main Street" gee, that's helpful). If I saw the shirt throughout my day, I would report it to the nearest CM or security officer. I'm not going to blame CMs for not catching everything, but I will report it if I see it.

                            I just think wearing such a shirt is immature and classless. I often want to say to those people, really? You don't have anything else in your wardrobe to wear than a tacky or provocative shirt? To a place known to be completely conservative and packed with small children who can read? Would you wear that to a job interview? Are you really that clueless, or just looking for attention? How old are you?
                            I never grasped the thought pattern of people who want to wear clothing expressing what would be considered offensive to the mainstream population. They may think of themselves as being funny, clever, or maybe some kind of a anarchist rebel raging against the machine. But for the vast majority of people who catch a glimpse of person and the offending material - they are thinking "what a - (pick one) clown - idiot - moron"
                            Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

                            http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

                            75,000+ page views and counting.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Profanity in the Parks

                              There is no freedom of speech.
                              sigpic

                              This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Profanity in the Parks

                                Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                                Would you wear that to a job interview?
                                While I'm not defending the poor wardrobe choice of some park goers, I don't think the job interview is a fair standard to judge whether or not something is appropriate to wear in the park.

                                There is nothing that I wear to the park that I would wear to a job interview. Conversely, there is nothing that I wear to a job interview that I would wear to the park. I'm not likely to get dressed up in a suit and tie with a portfolio containing a resume or CV plus a writing sample and references and head to the park.
                                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Profanity in the Parks

                                  Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                                  There is no freedom of speech.
                                  Inside of Disneyland? You are correct. The First Amendment refers only to the government passing laws restricting expression, not private entities enforcing a dress code.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Profanity in the Parks

                                    Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                                    There is no freedom of speech.

                                    Wait... What?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Profanity in the Parks

                                      Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                                      While I'm not defending the poor wardrobe choice of some park goers, I don't think the job interview is a fair standard to judge whether or not something is appropriate to wear in the park.

                                      There is nothing that I wear to the park that I would wear to a job interview. Conversely, there is nothing that I wear to a job interview that I would wear to the park. I'm not likely to get dressed up in a suit and tie with a portfolio containing a resume or CV plus a writing sample and references and head to the park.
                                      True. I was referring to an excuse I've heard elsewhere that people just don't notice what they are putting on or are incapable of selecting a proper wardrobe item because their closet is full of them and they can't be expected to select a non-profane shirt every time they leave the house. I should have been more clear--that's an excuse I've heard from other people about why someone would wear such a shirt, and I was trying to point out that there are circumstances in life where a person is perfectly capable of dressing appropriately, such as a job interview, so there's no reason why they can't notice and wear an inoffensive shirt to Disneyland.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Profanity in the Parks

                                        Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                                        There is no freedom of speech.
                                        Free speech is the right to express ideas and opinions. Not to wear offensive and pointless T-shirts in family oriented areas. I don't even see how the two can be compared.
                                        ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X