Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you always make sure to show "First Timers"?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What do you always make sure to show "First Timers"?

Hi all! I'm a new member. I'll skip the intro - feel free to read my profile/PM me if you'd like to chat.

I am taking a "girls trip" in December, and I'll be bringing one friend who has NEVER been to Disneyland, and two who haven't been in 10+ years. I am obsessed with Disneyland, have been many times, and am one of those people that constantly search for new "secrets" to make my experience different every trip. (In fact, I just got back from a trip, and it was my first time seeing the heads from Country Bear Jamboree in Pooh!! SO COOL!)

Anyway. I feel like I want to show my girls everything, but we only have about 2 days at the park. What are your MUST SHOW rides/secrets/shows??

Thank you all in advance for your input!! I can't wait to see the responses!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Re: What do you always make sure to show "First Timers"?

The first thing that I always show first timers that I go with are the restrooms at the tram stop at the structure. This way they know to get it out of their system so we can get on to the exciting stuff inside the gates.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Ha!! Not a bad strategy!! I like the way you think!

Comment

The E-tickets. Indy, Space Mountain, Splash, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder. Past that are the Fantasyland dark rides, "classic" attractions, and bits of park magic/history as we come across them.

At the end of the night, there has to be at least one nighttime show. Fantasmic!, World of Color, or Fireworks. They're all great, so seeing at least one is absolutely necessary for a first timer.

Comment

We always show our guests Walt's apartment in DL. Some of our international guests don't even know that Walt Disney was a real person. If they even know who he was (and some don't!), they think he was some corporate invention like Betty Crocker. When we point out the apartment, we explain how DL was his dream and how it's the only park he lived to see and visit. This helps make DL more than just an amusement park -- it makes it more personal. At the end of the day, we stop to salute the lamp in the window and thank Mr. Disney for giving us such a wonderful place!

Comment

The Disneyland ice cream parlor. Definitely the ice cream.

Comment

I always make sure every first timer sees Fantasmic! But I might be biased since I love it so much
              sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

World of Color.

Comment

Fantasmic! for sure and make sure you get a picture with Mickey!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Comment

Here's my take on bringing first timers: Allow them to decide what they want to see. Don't insist on anything unless it seems that they are undecided or seem confused or out of ideas on what to do next. There may be a show or ride that you think is absolutely a must-see but don't feel you have to do it, especially if they protest otherwise.

Comment

Thank you all for your input!! I'll definitely have to make sure they get to see a show. I'm not so big on "shows", I'm more of a ride or character photos kind of gal. That being said, I am COMPLETELY leaving it up to them on what they want to see and do! I'm an AP, so I have a chance to be selfish on my own time. :-) Definitely agree on the e-ticket rides, as well as the classic Fantasyland dark rides, and a picture with Mickey is a must!!

I'm hoping I can make Disneyland fanatics out of them. I'm just excited to be going with some people who it will be all new to... I think it will make it extra magical even for me!

It will be hard to resist not pointing out every little detail and secret, though.... Hehe

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

Originally posted by PascalGal View Post
                      We always show our guests Walt's apartment in DL. Some of our international guests don't even know that Walt Disney was a real person. If they even know who he was (and some don't!), they think he was some corporate invention like Betty Crocker. When we point out the apartment, we explain how DL was his dream and how it's the only park he lived to see and visit. This helps make DL more than just an amusement park -- it makes it more personal. At the end of the day, we stop to salute the lamp in the window and thank Mr. Disney for giving us such a wonderful place!

THIS! This will be happening. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
                        I am obsessed with Disneyland, have been many times, and am one of those people that constantly search for new "secrets" to make my experience different every trip. (In fact, I just got back from a trip, and it was my first time seeing the heads from Country Bear Jamboree in Pooh!!
                        That's a problem.

Originally posted by PascalGal View Post
                        And a great example of what not to do. It's a holy site for some people, like the ones who are on Disney message boards. In reality nobody knows where Marceline Missouri is, or what is special about it. They are going to a place where they expect, rides, characters and fireworks. The things seen in the commercials.

Don't be a professor of all things disney, lecturing people on their first visit.

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                        Here's my take on bringing first timers: Allow them to decide what they want to see. Don't insist on anything unless it seems that they are undecided or seem confused or out of ideas on what to do next. There may be a show or ride that you think is absolutely a must-see but don't feel you have to do it, especially if they protest otherwise.

Good advice. Tour Guide not Drill Sergeant.

When you do a group trip, make sure everyone understands the expenses. Make sure the expenses are acceptable. If two people are fine eating at the Chef's Table in Napa Rose, the other may only be compfortable spending money on a Happy Meal across the street. Fantasmic desert seating may sounds like a great way to see the show, but an extra $60 could make the trip intoembarrassing an argument.

As the Disneyphile, help the others enjoy themselves by being the person who collect FPs and saves the spot to gather the fireworks. Others not want to come away with the "all we did was wait in line, experience.
                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

You make a good point on making sure to discuss expenses. Luckily, my group is all on the same page with that one.

I do disagree with your saying that pointing things out like Walt's apartment are lecturing. Obviously it depends on your group - I wouldn't expect kids to be real interested in those kinds of things. However, I think that kind of information adds to the greatness of the park. Showing how much thought was put into the design, and how things such as the spirit of Walt are recognized and celebrated... I will make sure to take the hint if no one seems amused by my trivial information, though. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                            And a great example of what not to do. It's a holy site for some people, like the ones who are on Disney message boards. In reality nobody knows where Marceline Missouri is, or what is special about it. They are going to a place where they expect, rides, characters and fireworks. The things seen in the commercials.

Don't be a professor of all things disney, lecturing people on their first visit...
                            Who said anything about "lecturing people"? The OP asked for suggestions and received some very good ones. Everyone has their own ideas about what works for them and for their friends. DL is about so much more than rides and shows. The OP wants to share something with her friends that brings a great deal of joy to her own life. Nothing wrong with that.
                            Last edited by PascalGal; 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I brought along two of my friends who haven't been to disneyland in a LONG time. one was not particular to disneyland and would have preferred a six flags trip. They never saw Fantasmic. Once the peter pan cannon blast echoed through the rivers of America. they sat in disbelief wondering how Disney can pull off such an amazing spectacular. they soon started crying their eyes out exclaiming how they missed out on their child hood for not seeing this. we then watched the fireworks and the same scene played out. they cried halfway through the line of space mountain after the fireworks. some of the other guests were a little uneased by two young adults crying in a line.

Comment

Grab a map. Let your friend go over it and see what catches their eye, then go do it!!
                                Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Comment

Originally posted by animark View Post
                                  I brought along two of my friends who haven't been to disneyland in a LONG time. one was not particular to disneyland and would have preferred a six flags trip. They never saw Fantasmic. Once the peter pan cannon blast echoed through the rivers of America. they sat in disbelief wondering how Disney can pull off such an amazing spectacular. they soon started crying their eyes out exclaiming how they missed out on their child hood for not seeing this. we then watched the fireworks and the same scene played out. they cried halfway through the line of space mountain after the fireworks. some of the other guests were a little uneased by two young adults crying in a line.
                                  I will be so very satisfied if I get a reaction like this from them!!! :-D

Originally posted by D3COY View Post
                                  Grab a map. Let your friend go over it and see what catches their eye, then go do it!!
                                  Very good advice! I plan to go over a map before we leave so I make sure to hit at least the top things that everyone wants to experience. I am an over-planner, and combine that with over-excitedness let's just say I am surprised I haven't begun packing yet.

Three more months... XD

Comment

The Enchanted Tiki Room (with a Dole Whip)

Comment

Originally posted by Krack View Post
                                      The Enchanted Tiki Room (with a Dole Whip)
                                      It might be a little chilly for a dole whip, but a trip to the Tiki room in a must!

How do you all feel about Small World? It's not my favorite ride, but gives me a fantastic sense of nostalgia. I think it's one that not every one will love, but you have to be able to say you rode it when you've been to DLR!

Comment

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
                                        It might be a little chilly for a dole whip, but a trip to the Tiki room in a must!

How do you all feel about Small World? It's not my favorite ride, but gives me a fantastic sense of nostalgia. I think it's one that not every one will love, but you have to be able to say you rode it when you've been to DLR!
                                        I would say only go on "it's a small world" if your friends want to. If they really don't want to go on the ride, don't be overly determined to convince them otherwise. That said, I hope that they will want to have the complete Disney experience and will listen to your advice when you suggest riding the attraction. I personally adore IASM.
                                        Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X