Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] You don't like "It's a Small World"?

Hi!

I've been reading other posts, and it seems many of you don't like It's a Small World?

Why is that? Is it that the music is so repetitive that it drives you crazy? Is that all there is to it?

I loved it as a child and went again in my late 20's and still loved it. Maybe because I already liked it and knew what to expect??? I'll be going again in Oct (currently age 48) and still expect to love it.

What are your opinions?

Re: You don't like "It's a Small World"?

I personally love the ride. The song doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy it.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Comment

I do not dislike the ride, in fact when I take new people (or people that have not been in a while) to the parks I make sure that they go on it's a small world. For some reason it's just not the first thing I'm drawn towards. I'm not usually drawn towards the ToonTown area so it could be that since I'm never usually walking past it there is just no trigger in my brain to actively ride it on all of my trips....but in no way do I hate it
      sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

I don't mind it but my dh refuses to ride on it. He can't stand it. For him I think it's because his mother and grandmother dragged him on it as a child while he wanted to do something else so there is probably a deeply etched resentment in there somewhere, that and he doesn't care for the music. So he usually rides Star Tours and I do IASW since I can't ride Star Tours.
        Feel free to visit my Etsy Shop; https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlienKaboo...=hdr_shop_menu
        to see my Disney and StarWars skirts for little girls.

Comment

I despise It's a Small World. I think the characters are creepy, the repetitive music drives me insane, and it is nothing but close to 10min of torture. Despite all that I usually wind up going on it every time I am at Disneyland because whoever I go with always wants to ride. I'll probably wind up riding again in October because my parents both love it and always drag me along because they think it's funny.

I also don't like how they integrated Disney characters into the ride. I feel like it cheapens the theme and takes what was within the realm of reality, with different cultures that do exist, into more of a fantasy. They shouldn't have done that, imo.
          Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

I like the ride but if I had to guess why......

1) The Song
            2) The static figures
            3) The added Disney Characters from back in like 2008
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Ever since I heard the song as it was originally composed (much slower and somber sounding) the ride doesn't bother me as much since that version goes though my head when I ride it.

It's a small world original version - YouTube

Comment

Lets see...Preachy, Repetitive, not very well themed, long, simple animatronics, creepy animatronics, annoying song, visible building structure in the ride... There are tons of reasons for someone to hate the ride. But I like it.

I never understood the hate for the disney characters in its a small world. I understand the principle of it. Its another ride on the list of movie tie ins and it bugs some people. But the characters fit quite well and are integrated nicely with the ride. Plus if the ride is about children of the world, I see it as the characters are just coming together with the children, depicted as children, to represent their country of origin. Plus I'd say 95% of people riding that ride love seeing the little characters in there.
                In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

I love the ride and admit, the very strong Mary Blair style of it makes it a niche acceptable to some and bizarre to others. What I think gives it a bad rep is the music. I think I read somewhere once that it was the #1 most catchy and repetitive song in the world. ( Some magazine article listing about #10 songs that people loved to hate, or similar. ) Even Happy Birthday was somewhere low on the list like #8 or so.

Comment

It's the music, pretty much.

BTW, I have a way to vastly improve the ride, for those of us who don't like the recording of It's a Small World used on the ride, but do like Daft Punk. Click play on the first video, mute it, and then immediately play the second while watching the first. (Yes, I know this is Paris. I'm too lazy to make a 16 minute Around the World mix for Anaheim.)

Comment

I've always liked small world. Even during my teenage years. Some distracting things like the wires and the floor of the building everyone can see are irritating.
                      I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I don't love Small World, but I don't hate it. I do firmly believe that it is a great representation of the "old" Disneyland, though, so insist on newcomers giving it a try. Also, I love the Disney characters that were added to it! I think it ties it in more with Fantasyland, plus gives me something to look for.

I can definitely understand why some people don't enjoy it, though!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
                        KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

i don't like small world. no thanks. i'd rather eat the carboard pizza from pizza port then go on SW.i mean it's the same song room after room after room and once you've seen the dressed up dolls it's like why see them again??

Comment

I really like it. It may not be my favorite, and I don't go on it every time, but I really like it, and it makes me smile. I like the minimalist sets which work for this, imho. I don't mind seeng the wires, et al.
                            Strangely enough, my kids, 13, 9, and even 7 can't stand it. It drives my wife and I nuts, since we have to drag them on.
                            And as little, little kids, they loved it.
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by matman730 View Post
                              it's the music, pretty much.

Btw, i have a way to vastly improve the ride, for those of us who don't like the recording of it's a small world used on the ride, but do like daft punk. Click play on the first video, mute it, and then immediately play the second while watching the first. (yes, i know this is paris. I'm too lazy to make a 16 minute around the world mix for anaheim.)

heck yeah!
                              With kind regards,
                              The Tony

Comment

Originally posted by matman730 View Post
                                It's the music, pretty much.

BTW, I have a way to vastly improve the ride, for those of us who don't like the recording of It's a Small World used on the ride, but do like Daft Punk. Click play on the first video, mute it, and then immediately play the second while watching the first. (Yes, I know this is Paris. I'm too lazy to make a 16 minute Around the World mix for Anaheim.)

Very cool. Now I'm going to go put 'The Wizard of Oz' DVD in and start listening to 'Dark Side of the Moon'.

I still love IASW, or as we think of it 'The Baby Ride'. When my kids were little they always called dolls 'babies', thus 'The Baby Ride'.
                                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I love Small World. I think the level of detailing is so deep you can see something new every time you ride it. And I greatly admire the talent of Mary Blair.

Comment

I personally adore "it's a small world". I loved the attraction as a small girl, and as I've grown older, I've began to appreciate the ride on different levels. I enjoy the artistry and the Mary Blair stylization of the ride, from the facade to the colorful sets to the zany designs and characters. I love savoring the details of each room, admiring the nods to the traditions, history, dress, language, art, and literature of each culture. I appreciate the entire premise of the attraction, how it celebrates the unique aspects of each culture while simultaneously emphasizing the fact that we are all fundamentally the same-- that we all experience fear and sadness and happiness and hope. I also really like the song, I think its innocence and simplicity perfectly suits the theme of the attraction and does a beautiful job at enforcing the message of the ride.

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                                    I also don't like how they integrated Disney characters into the ride. I feel like it cheapens the theme and takes what was within the realm of reality, with different cultures that do exist, into more of a fantasy. They shouldn't have done that, imo.
                                    I definitely agree with this. The focus of the attraction shifted from a celebration of the cultures of the world and a message of peace and unity to a giant game of "find the Disney characters hiding in this room". The only thing that I hear people say during the attraction is "Look, Ariel!" or "Hey, there's Simba!"-- you can't experience the ride without hearing these exclamations. They completely distract from the original purpose of the attraction and I would be very happy to see them removed.
                                    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Funny how people who say they dislike the ride are all listing items that remain, despite the attraction being made "relevant" with the addition of Disney

Comment

I'm fine with it. I just don't go on it often.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X