Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the old Star Tours animatronic and props?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What happened to the old Star Tours animatronic and props?

Star Tours 1.0, the original and the classic attraction closed on July 27, 2010 for the new version of Star Tours: The Adventures Continues that opened on May 20, 2011.

What happened to the old audio-animatronic droids and most of the props? Were they sold or auctioned off to a private collector? Scrapped and trashed? In storage in the backstage areas? Such as the two G2 'goose' droids, the astromech droids and few other droids down below at the droid room as well as the props below and above the room. The baskets holding many items that moves above the ceiling.

Of course, C-3PO and R2-D2 were still there and simply got a facelift, new animations, some new dialogue, and there were refurbished and added new paint and parts. The Starspeeder 3000 become 1000 with some new additions, the security droid, new paint scheme, lightning, and effects. The first scene of the queue isn't changed as much, the Catamari aliens up above the window is still the same. The large video screen showcasing Star Tours become HD.

The biggest change is the droid room.

I know one of the Captain Rex animatronics were shown for the Walt Disney exhibit at Ronald Regan Library Museum.

I would love to know.
    Last edited by LangenFox; 09-11-2012, 04:54 PM.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
    Save
    Sav

Re: What happened to the old Star Tours animatronic and props?

I'm not sure if the Hollywood Studios and Disneyland queues are very different, but what i'm going to mention is from Disneyland. Captain Rex is still in the droid room. He's to the right and will occasionaly say some of his old dialogue. I'm pretty sure the G2 droids are the same ones, but just improved with newer technology. That's all that I can think of for now
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!
    sigpic

Comment

I believe two of the old Rexs are in the queue. One from each park was sent to the archives for archiving. One of the droids from the archives is at the Reagan Presidential Library. A lot of stuff get tossed or thrown into storage for future use.
      DisneyTwins
      Since May 2003

Comment

I wonder what happened to the ATIS display box? It is visible to the right of the droid.

Comment

One of the Rex animatronics are on display in the queue, in a box saying malfunctional. He often spews out dialogue from the original attraction.

The two G2 droids are still there, they just have new diplogue.
          sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
            I wonder what happened to the ATIS display box? It is visible to the right of the droid.

Never even knew that was there! Thanks, dfan! :thumbup:
            "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Disney's Property Control department took some of the items. I know they've auctioned off some stuff to CM's, including a couple of the baskets the OP asked about. Wish I had one of those.

Comment

I can tell you what happened to all the baskets with the Imagineers initials and birthdates on them that used to circle around the ceiling. They were kind enough to contact those of us they could reach, Imagineers, former Imagineers, and like myself, wives of Imagineers to see if we would like them. Of course, most of us are thrilled to have this piece of Disney history in our collections. I am sad I can no longer visit David's basket inside the attraction, but happy to have this memento of his work on the original Star Tours.

Carole Mumford

Comment

Originally posted by Carole View Post
                  I can tell you what happened to all the baskets with the Imagineers initials and birthdates on them that used to circle around the ceiling. They were kind enough to contact those of us they could reach, Imagineers, former Imagineers, and like myself, wives of Imagineers to see if we would like them. Of course, most of us are thrilled to have this piece of Disney history in our collections. I am sad I can no longer visit David's basket inside the attraction, but happy to have this memento of his work on the original Star Tours.

Carole Mumford
                  Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X