This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] The Walt Disney factor of Disneyland

When I walk through the tunnel, and round the corner I look up to the fire station and give a silent salute to Walt, I try to imagine what it was like for Walt to walk down the mainstreet, looking over his grand dream that was ultimately realized in his creation. The feeling he got from the laughing children, the smiles from adults. The thrill and exitement of what it will be like in 5 years, ten years and then beyond.

I know he understood he was only the biginning, that his park would undergo constant change and the faith he had that it would not be "destroyed" (at least by men) but rather enhanced and improved, just how he wanted.

What are your "Walt" factors?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: The Walt Disney factor of Disneyland

Every time someone mentions the Disney company, they always think that it was all about the money. In my opinion that can be easily said today because all the big suits up at Disney really are all about the money. anything to get our money out of our pockets, just stick a Disney character on a ride and it will sell.

But when you look back when Walt was alive He took a huge risk in building his park. many people predicted the bankruptcy of his company if he ever went forward with it. He took out a couple of mortgages out of his home just to build the Mark Twain. For someone to put so much risk into something, to jeopardize his own company and to say that he did it for the money is an insult. He made it because he wanted to. He wanted to share a new vision of entertainment, and as the years went on he developed ideas for the betterment of mankind.

Comment

As I have seen in many Walt documentary money was just an informality as soon as he got it he dumped it right back into the park he never had any money it what he stated
      Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

Originally posted by animark View Post
        Every time someone mentions the Disney company, they always think that it was all about the money. In my opinion that can be easily said today because all the big suits up at Disney really are all about the money. anything to get our money out of our pockets, just stick a Disney character on a ride and it will sell.

But when you look back when Walt was alive He took a huge risk in building his park. many people predicted the bankruptcy of his company if he ever went forward with it. He took out a couple of mortgages out of his home just to build the Mark Twain. For someone to put so much risk into something, to jeopardize his own company and to say that he did it for the money is an insult. He made it because he wanted to. He wanted to share a new vision of entertainment, and as the years went on he developed ideas for the betterment of mankind.
        I agree. Clearly, getting the park built was dear to Walt's heart. He could've called it a day after building it, but while he lived, he invested a lot of money into it every few years. The Skyway, the Matterhorn, the Monorail, the Skyway, Tomorrowland '67, POTC, the Haunted Mansion... none of these came cheap. While ultimately I have no doube he wanted to turn a profit, it is clear to me at least, that his primary motivation was not money.

Comment

The Legacy of Walt Disney will forever be immortalized in Disneyland and the Disney Company.

Disneyland is indeed a work of love rather than made for profit and business. He wanted to share the world his dreams, thoughts, and ideas to the public of how a real theme park should be! But the current Disney co. uses Disneyland as a form of profit and business. Thanks to those expensive tickets and merchandise.

Walt wanted Disneyland to be a high quality theme park that can be affordable by anyone. It's his philosophy, but now not so much anymore.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
          Save
          Sav

Comment

I can see this thread starting to turn off topic... so I'll try and turn it back... but before I do, I would like say that I think if Disneyland was originally about money, it never would have opened. Many people are driven by money... but for something as big as Disneyland, it takes a lot of effort.. so much that unless you have the necessary millions upon millions of dollars to just throw at it, the only way you'll see it finish is if you let it consume you. I don't think someone driven solely by profits would have had that drive.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC: I never really appreciated Walt disney until recently. I've been to DLR 3 times (the last time was about 9 years ago). I was too young to care. But now that we're going soon, I've done a lot of reading and I have come to truly respect him and what he's created.

When I hit main street in a few days, I'm going to make sure to point out to my wife and child Walt's apartment and give them the history. That is something I wish my mother had done many years ago.

Comment

Anytime you walk across the Castle drawbridge, anytime you buy popcorn, anytime you ride the Matterhorn, anytime you walk down Main Street, and many more actions, you are doing something what Walt did.
              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X