Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] To buy an Annual Pass or Not?

Hello, fellow Micechatters,
    To buy an AP or not to buy an AP? That is the question. Before, you all blurt out, "of course you should!", let me give you a liitle bit of information about my family dynamic.
    First, my wife and I are from NorCal and are huge fans of Disneyland and talk about going all the time. However, the reality is that we usually only go for 3 days at Halloween time in the course of a year. Second, is that we now have a 1 year old son and he has never been to the park, but does great whenever we go anywhere, including large crowds.
    My wife argues that we should not buy APs because we only go three days a year. I argue that if we had passes we would go more often since more than half the cost of our trips are spent in tickets each time we go. We have both wanted to go to the park during the holidays and have never done it. I contend that having the tickets would actually increase our attendance and then would justify the expense of the AP's. One more thing to consider. Getting to the park is not a problem, my son has been on a plane a couple times and does fine or we could drive if need be (about 6 hours).

Well that's the question. I'm really looking forward to any responses(hopefully in my favor!)
    Thanks MiceChatters and have a Magical day.)

th birthday! We're glad that we splurged!

Comment

Re: To buy an Annual Pass or Not?

Think of all the things you wouldn't do/buy if you bought passes.

You should probably plan a year of trips before you decide to buy them.

Comment

Maybe.

Pro: If you are to go on a 3 day parkhopper it's $250. Next year it may even be $275. If you purchase it when you go on your usual trip this year you can use it on your usual trip next year for just $469. You save a few bucks.

Con: If you can get discount 3 day parkhopper's since you're residents you wouldn't save $ as suggested in my pro listed above.

Pro: Although your baby may be well behaved on regular outings being out in the weather for a lengthy period of time is tiring for anyone. You might need more time in the parks just to see your usual favorites.

Con: I don't think you should be going on extra trips spurred on by a "savings" due to the parkhopper. It's a budget killer. Only go this route if you're exchanging those trips for trips you'd take elsewhere. For instance, would you rather go on 2 disneyland trips compared to 1 DL trip and 1 trip to visit the grandparents in Seattle (or wherever)... That wouldn't be reasonable.

Comment

Children two (three?) and under get in free. If you're only visiting three times a year, then it's not worth it to get a pass, especially if you want to attend the Halloween parties. Those are still an extra cost as they are "after hours" parties. If you both work in NorCal, then you obviously won't be going after work during the week, so it seems your trips would be limited to weekends or vacation days. In which case, you may not be able to use even a Deluxe pass. Also keep in mind going extra with a Deluxe pass costs parking, but as long as you have one Premium between the two of you, you can park for free. There's also the cost of lodging and transportation, so it's a lot more to figure than just the cost of the passes.

Comment

Originally posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
            Hello, fellow Micechatters,
            To buy an AP or not to buy an AP? That is the question. Before, you all blurt out, "of course you should!", let me give you a liitle bit of information about my family dynamic.
            First, my wife and I are from NorCal and are huge fans of Disneyland and talk about going all the time. However, the reality is that we usually only go for 3 days at Halloween time in the course of a year. Second, is that we now have a 1 year old son and he has never been to the park, but does great whenever we go anywhere, including large crowds.
            My wife argues that we should not buy APs because we only go three days a year. I argue that if we had passes we would go more often since more than half the cost of our trips are spent in tickets each time we go. We have both wanted to go to the park during the holidays and have never done it. I contend that having the tickets would actually increase our attendance and then would justify the expense of the AP's. One more thing to consider. Getting to the park is not a problem, my son has been on a plane a couple times and does fine or we could drive if need be (about 6 hours).

Well that's the question. I'm really looking forward to any responses(hopefully in my favor!)
            Thanks MiceChatters and have a Magical day.)
            We live in texas, but my wifes family lives in OC. We go to visit maybe 4-5 times a year and always go to disney so we have AP. Each time we go we go for at least 3 days of the trip

Comment

However, the reality is that we usually only go for 3 days at Halloween time in the course of a year. Second, is that we now have a 1 year old son and he has never been to the park, but does great whenever we go anywhere, including large crowds.

My wife argues that we should not buy APs because we only go three days a year. I argue that if we had passes we would go more often since more than half the cost of our trips are spent in tickets each time we go. We have both wanted to go to the park during the holidays and have never done it.
              Is it possible to go a month later to the Holidays also?
              After that is it likely you will go again in the other 9 months of the year?

3, 3 day trips is when you pay off an AP with ticket cost savings. If you only go twice a year it probably won't work out.

On your third day of your Halloween visit is when you should decide. You will have a few test days in the park with your baby. You can take your tickets to the ticket booths before the end of the third day and upgrade from the price you paid for them.
              Be Cool Stay in School!
              Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                Is it possible to go a month later to the Holidays also?
                After that is it likely you will go again in the other 9 months of the year?

3, 3 day trips is when you pay off an AP with ticket cost savings. If you only go twice a year it probably won't work out.

On your third day of your Halloween visit is when you should decide. You will have a few test days in the park with your baby. You can take your tickets to the ticket booths before the end of the third day and upgrade from the price you paid for them.
                Actually this is a brilliant idea! You can upgrade to the AP if all goes well on the trip next month.

Comment

Decide if you will go more first.. the AP is just how you pay for it.

The AP isn't a cost savings if you are forced to go more than you normally would.. or fail to go enough to hit break even.

Sounds like you need to sort your trips first.. need the 'demand' before you worry about tickets vs APs.
                  Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                  Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                  Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I'm not sure how much of this is a factor but...
                    My wife and I had passes before kids. Once we had our first, we decided not to renew. We figured unless we went with friends or family we wouldn't be able to ride most most of the rides we like together. We could take turns but it's not the same. We decided that it's not worth the money to walk around and see the shops and ride the kiddie rides. Now we go once a year for a couple days and make a big trip out of it with extended family.
                    Maybe once the kids are older/taller we'll consider APs again.
                    With kind regards,
                    The Tony

Comment

Maybe you could buy the cheapest AP and then if you find yourself being able to come more you could upgrade to the next level. If you don't you'll know for next year.
                      Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
                      Tour the Walt Disney Studios
                      Work for Disney

Comment

Hey, thanks for the upgrade idea. That possibility never crossed my mind. I had no idea I could get toward the AP if I want, fantastic!

---------- Post added 09-13-2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

Another excellent point about my 1 year old and the rides. So, I guess you can't have your child in your lap for any rides, right?

Comment

Another excellent point about my 1 year old and the rides. So, I guess you can't have your child in your lap for any rides, right?
                          On a few you can but in general they must sit on the seat next to you.

On rides with height requirments rider swap is available, where one parent ask for a rider switch card and waits in line. After riding the first parent give the card to the second and that parent uses the card to ride with minimal wait.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!
                          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

If you can budget in two more trips throughout the year, that is you can pay for travel, etc then the AP would be worth it.
                            Jeff Wayne

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X