This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Attractions that made a comeback

Whenever someone brings up that "Disney should (insert attraction name here) back" I always think "Yeah, like they would ever do that." But I recently realized, wait! They HAVE done that! A number of times! And I don't mean upgrades like Star Tours or Space Mountain. I mean attractions that we thought were gone for good and then made a come back in one way or another. Let's see if we can compile all of them!

-Most recently is Luigi's Flying Tires, a new incarnation of The Flying Saucers.
    -I don't know if this one counts, because they never went away, they were just closed for years, but the Submarines. I know I had written them off and never expected to ride them again.
    -Innoventions in Epcot (Maybe Disneyland too? I don't know, I never go in there) has that Home of the Future display, which I feel like is a callback to Disneyland's original Monsanto's House of the Future.
    -Captain EO. 'Nuff said.

What else has made some sort of a comeback?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Re: Attractions that made a comeback

America the Beautiful made a comeback in the 80s.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

The Phantom boats long ago went and came back but didnt last long. Captian EO was replaced and then came back. Also Abe Lincon, thats all i can think of off the top of your head.
      Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep
      moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and
      curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

Comment

The MSEP has disappeared and returned several times.

Comment

I was just reading about this in Chris Stodder's The Disneyland Encylopeida last night. Among some that you've already mentioned, it lists Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through as two attractions that "officially" closed and eventually reopened, along with several shops and eateries (e.g. Mlle. Antoinette's Parfumerie and Briar Patch).
          Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

The Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough re-opened after being closed for almost a decade. Also, the Pirate Ship and Skull Rock were re-created for the Neverland Pool (now gone).

Comment

The Haunted Mansion makes a comeback every January.

Comment

The Enchanted Tiki Room came back to WDW.

Comment

And with regard to popularity, The Tiki Room at DL made a huge comeback several years ago when tiki became popular again and has had healthy crowds ever since.
                  Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
                    -Innoventions in Epcot (Maybe Disneyland too? I don't know, I never go in there) has that Home of the Future display, which I feel like is a callback to Disneyland's original Monsanto's House of the Future.
                    I can't speak for Epcot - I never go there - but do not equate the Home of the Future display in Disneyland Innoventions with the original Monsanto House of the Future. That is like comparing a Tonka truck with a Ferrari.

Not. Even. Close.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I don't know if these are stretching the definition of "comeback" or not.

In a way, the PeopleMover track made a comeback of sorts, as the track for Rocket Rods.

The Pack Mules closed temporarily, I think for about half a year, while Nature's Wonderland was being built. Reopened with a modified name. Same for Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, closed for about half a year, expanded and reopened with a new name.

Am I correct that Big Thunder Ranch closed in 1996, became Festival of Fools for a few years, then reopened as A Little Patch of Heaven aka Big Thunder Ranch? If so then Big Thunder Ranch made a "comeback."

Fantasyland Theater has had 2 "lives" in 2 locations. 1955-1964 Mickey Mouse Club Theater, then 1964-1982 Fantasyland Theater, then 1996-present, Fantasyland Theater in a different location (Videopolis location).

It's hard to say whether Rocket to the Moon - Flight to the Moon - Mission to Mars were comebacks, upgrades or different incarnations.

Same for Astro Jets - Tomorrowland Jets - Rocket Jets - Astro Orbiter.

Indian Village was moved from Adventureland to Frontierland; I don't know if that counts as a "comeback."

Mike Fink Keel Boats operated from 1956-1994 and then again from 1996-1997, so that might be considered a comeback. The Gullywhumper Keel Boat capsized in 1997, and the attraction closed, but in 2003 the Gullywhumper was returned to view as a scenic element along the river, so it made a comeback of its own.

The Disney Gallery operated in New Orleans Square from 1987-2007, then was gone until 2009 when it made a comeback on Main Street.

Comment

Those are some nice examples above.
                        I would vote for the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through as the best comeback ever. It's a fantastic attraction that greatly improved over its former iteration.

Comment

Technically, every ride that got "plussed" made a comeback if that means attendance spiked a bit.

The Disneyland RR didn't always have that dino-diorama but once it was added I would imagine people rode the train a bit more just to see it.

I don't think It's A Small World was ever in any danger of closing but then the holiday version came out and again, there's a surge in interest.

I remember the Fantasyland of the 70's and early 80's was kind of... "nice" but simple. Then the whole thing got a facelift and I became interested in seeing it again just to see all the clever design elements in it. For that matter, all this "princess" thing going on today that's so popular with little girls has breathed a huge breath of life into Fantasyland to the point it's got these meet-n-greet spots. That's just got to be a "comeback" for the entirety of Fantasyland IMHO.

As long as DL continues improving and plussing things, then technically everything both present and gone gets a comeback.

....except Hollywood Limousine. Yeah, that got replaced by Monsters Inc. and I'm sort of hoping it never comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                            I can't speak for Epcot - I never go there - but do not equate the Home of the Future display in Disneyland Innoventions with the original Monsanto House of the Future. That is like comparing a Tonka truck with a Ferrari.

Not. Even. Close.
                            So if you never go there how can you possibly form a truly informed oppinion about said matter?
                            He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                            follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                            DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X