X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Transfer Device?

Hi guys,

I am heading to the Parks at the end of the month with my family. We used to go a few times a year, but it has been a couple of years since we have been there. Anyway, my 16 year old daughter uses a wheelchair. I was looking at the DLR website's page about visiting with mobility disabilities and I noticed that some rides (Space, Splash, etc.) say that they have "Transfer devices" to assist guests. I have never seen these. Is it something new? Does anyone know exactly what they are? This is the description on the site:

Transfer Device - The attraction offers a portable bench or similar device to assist Guests with mobility disabilities in transferring from their wheelchair or ECV to the ride.

Thanks!!!

Re: Transfer Device?

At Splash Mountain, the transfer device is kind of like a horse saddle that can be put on the side of the log. It cuts the distance from wheelchair to log down a bit and makes for an easier transfer in and out of the log. Just ask a Cast Member and they'll show you what it looks like, and you can decide if you'd like to use it or not (source: I work there!)

At Space Mountain, they have a rocket that they load off to the side for guests with disabilities, so that the parties can take as long as they need to to get in and out of the rocket. It's pretty nifty to watch it slide across to the track

A fair number of attractions also have Wheelchair Access Vehicles, where the guest won't need to transfer to a ride vehicle. Winnie the Pooh, it's a small world, and Jungle Cruise all have them, and I believe (but don't quote me on this) that Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters does.

At any attraction, just find a cast member at the attractions' entrance and ask! Each attraction is different: some have you enter through the exit, some you will need to transfer, etc. Just ask and you'll be fine You can also pick up a guide to each attraction and their accessibility at City Hall when you enter.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip!
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

To clarify, they have a transfer slide to help move from the chair to the seat on the ride. Similar to these for Space. Sliding transfer board - TheFind
      If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by oo_nrb View Post
        Winnie the Pooh, it's a small world, and Jungle Cruise all have them, and I believe (but don't quote me on this) that Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters does.
        Yes, you are correct. They have one vehicle that can accommodate a wheelchair via a ramp.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the info!

---------- Post added 09-16-2012 at 05:34 PM ----------

Mr. Fantasmic sent me a message with a link with some great videos demonstrating some of the assistive devices they have on the rides.
          Mobility Disabilities & Wheelchair Access | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort

I can't believe how much this has improved in the 2 years since we last visited the parks. I am even more excited for this trip!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X