Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Fog on Pirates of the Caribbean?

I've been on Pirates of the Caribbean MANY times in my life. You may go so far to say it is my favourite ride in the whole park. However, last time I was at Disneyland in March 2012 (I've only recently discovered this awesome forum) I noticed something about the scene where Captain Barbossa's ship (and I know fans of the original non-movie-franchise version of the ride will hate me for calling it that) is attacking the port. There was actually quit a bit of fog over the water, which I thought was a neat new effect as it would kinda make sense for there to be fog on the water being a night attack on the port and all. However, I also wondered if maybe the ventilation system in the room was broken at my time of me riding it and the smoke that get's blasted from the canons (steam, compressed gas of some kind, I don't know what's used) when they 'fire' simply wasn't getting circulated enough. Has anyone else noticed this fog effect? If you haven't it probably was just a problem with the ventilation but I'd like to know.

Re: Fog on Pirates of the Caribbean?

They have upped the fog for the last several months. We love it, as it kind of helps draw you into the scene.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Comment

I like it this way too.

The other thing I find way more effective is when that smoke screen face (of whoever that character is leading into the battle scene) isn't operating.

I went on the attraction once and that cave was completely dark. Awesome effect.

Comment

Originally posted by CASurfer65 View Post
          I like it this way too.

The other thing I find way more effective is when that smoke screen face (of whoever that character is leading into the battle scene) isn't operating.

I went on the attraction once and that cave was completely dark. Awesome effect.
          Yes, I definitely miss the old scene there: "perhaps ye knows too much, ye seen the cursed treasure, ye know where it be hid..." good stuff. They really should remove the smoke screen and just leave it dark if they cannot revert back to the original.
          Signature courtesy of Poisonedapples

Comment

I love listening to my old soundtrack which has the old speaking instead of the newer stuff...not that I mind the movie additions at all, but I like being able to be nostalgic while still seeing new things
            sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

I love the old dark tunnel! Just floating through the dark, with that haunting voice ("...perhaps ye knows too much...") was so much more evocative and mysterious and wonderful than that Davey Jones projection thing.

Comment

I was also there in March and noticed how foggy it was during the ship battle. I thought it was a little too much but it does help draw you into the atmosphere. The only disappointing thing is the cannon flares into the water weren't working when I was there.
                Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

I can't help but think that someday they'll remove some of the POTC additions that were added in 2006. I think the dark cavern with Davy Jones/Blackbeard may be one of them. Again, this is merely speculation on my part.

Comment

Honestly some times I notice the fog sometimes I dont!!! But it does bring you into the story more though. It's a nice touch.
                    Anyone else like to put their arms up trying to feel the air from the cannons?

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Victoria View Post
                      I can't help but think that someday they'll remove some of the POTC additions that were added in 2006. I think the dark cavern with Davy Jones/Blackbeard may be one of them. Again, this is merely speculation on my part.
                      Lets hope they remove all of it.

---------- Post added 09-17-2012 at 11:13 PM ----------

I've seen the fog in that scene crazy thick, to non-existent. I like when the fog is heavy, I think it adds a great deal of ambience to the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by whitestrat View Post

---------- Post added 09-17-2012 at 11:13 PM ----------

I've seen the fog in that scene crazy thick, to non-existent. I like when the fog is heavy, I think it adds a great deal of ambience to the scene.
                        Dreams come true!
                        right?

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
                          Dreams come true!
                          right?
                          Thats what they keep saying.......

Comment

Originally posted by whitestrat View Post

At the very least, make it more subtle and with better integration. Like why is the town defending jack? He steals their dang treasure!!! Why isn't he on the side of the pirates? Shouldn't they both be after him? They did such a crappy job integrating him on that ride that I always leave scratching my head.
                            In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
                              At the very least, make it more subtle and with better integration. Like why is the town defending jack? He steals their dang treasure!!! Why isn't he on the side of the pirates? Shouldn't they both be after him? They did such a crappy job integrating him on that ride that I always leave scratching my head.
                              The plot is the weakest link of the current version of the ride. I like being able to leave the ride open to some level of interpretation, but the narrative provided makes no sense.

Comment

Pirates of the Caribbean needs all movie references removed, especially the Davy Jones tunnel and Barbossa scenes.

Comment

They won't remove that stuff until the movie franchise is old... and that is far off because they are planning a 5th movie.
                                  Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

I love the fog! The thicker the better!

I can skip all the movie references, though. Jack Sparrow needs to go. Leave it as an atmosphere ride, with no specified plot. It was better that way.
                                    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

The fog is great I love it but the downside I cant see anything in their because its so thick

Comment

The fog and the cannon blasts are good for the attraction. And actually, I'm not so mad at the Jack Sparrow AAs. They're there and will be there for a while. Then, the Disney execs will have a brilliant idea of returning Pirates to its original show. I can happen.
                                        I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X