X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Main Street USA expansion

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Although a frequent patrol by a keystone cop might clean up the human element (and I remember Disney Security used to use these), I prefer to think of my view as "cynical", not "sadly out of touch" Can you point out inaccuracies in my statement?
    Sure I could. But it would take more time than I'm willing to spend. It's easier and more efficient to point you to a source (which I suspect, as most I've reccommended this to, you will not consult). Even so, I reccommend "Main Street Revisted," by Richard Francaviglia. He discuses Disney's Main Street, to some extent, along with a scholarly discussion of Main Streets in American Society from the earliest days. A good read. A more graphical account can be found in"Hometown USA."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
      Sure I could. But it would take more time than I'm willing to spend. It's easier and more efficient to point you to a source (which I suspect, as most I've reccommended this to, you will not consult). Even so, I reccommend "Main Street Revisted," by Richard Francaviglia. He discuses Disney's Main Street, to some extent, along with a scholarly discussion of Main Streets in American Society from the earliest days. A good read. A more graphical account can be found in"Hometown USA."
      As fate would have it I have a lot of time on my hands these days, so if I can find these at the library, I'll give them a gander .....
      "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
      - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
        I forgot that small towns were the first to have electric (or gas powered) clothes driers and functional sewers with indoor plumbing .... memory fades when you get to my age .....

And I don't understand why they call prostitution the "world's oldest profession" when it didn't exist back then ....
        But we're talking Main Street here--a representation of the commercial district of a smallish midwestern town, not the slums of NYC. You wouldn't see many folks hanging laundry, because folks often didn't live in those buildings--the upper floors were often offices or other businesses. You really didn't see external fire escapes on the two or three story buildings from the 1880s and 1890s that were typical on the Main Streets Walt was using as models for his.

What you might have seen were simply doors or loading docks. Sure, there was probably some trash and weeds, but by the same reason Disney's Main Street doesn't have a dirt street or telephone poles strung with hundreds of wires, they will probably not include such elements.

Sure, prostitution existed then, but that doesn't mean it was blatantly out in the open. Even today I'd be hard-pressed to find a street walker on Main Street where I live (which, coincidentally, looks quite a lot like Disney's Main Street).

Your view of a typical midwestern 19th century Main Street seems colored by images of very urban, east coast cities from the 1920s. While the typical midwestern Main Street certainly wasn't as pristine as the Disney version, Disney did capture many elements and details that are correct for the period. He may not have created an exact model, but he captured the feeling and the mood (at least initially. Unfortunately, much of that character has been stripped away externally. But some of the interiors have been improved).

Here's a link for "Hometown USA." You can get it for cheap if your library doesn't have it. The pictures are simply priceless if you're a fan of the era.

Hometown U.S.A: Stephen W Sears: 9781566191517: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
          Maybe they will call it Liberty Street?
          More like Liberty Alley, which is appropriate if the "liberty" it brings is the liberty away from crowds to those just trying to make their way to one end or the other of Main Street.

I think Panda's point is that this isn't a street, it is by it's own admission an alley. Alley's aren't where the best part of society lingers. We can dress it up all we want but this is an access road whose #1 goal is to channel large amounts of people quickly, themeing will be secondary as there seems to be no intended goal to make people stop and read all the charming windows and signs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
            More like Liberty Alley, which is appropriate if the "liberty" it brings is the liberty away from crowds to those just trying to make their way to one end or the other of Main Street.

I think Panda's point is that this isn't a street, it is by it's own admission an alley. Alley's aren't where the best part of society lingers. We can dress it up all we want but this is an access road whose #1 goal is to channel large amounts of people quickly, themeing will be secondary as there seems to be no intended goal to make people stop and read all the charming windows and signs, etc.
            Per Al's update it would be pretty themed up:

A twenty foot wide alley, themed as quite literally an authentic looking back alley behind Victorian-era Main Street
            Fresh from their work on Buena Vista Street, WDI has cooked up a design scheme that would improve the park sightlines and themed story in that area immensely.
            So I don't think it will be just a bland "access road".

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post

That is my point. But if I'm beating a hasty retreat at fireworks time, a little laundry overhead will not slow me down.
              "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
              - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I love the idea personally. Especially since it's something that has been considered for so long! Do it now!
                Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

Yes I'm with you 4APPLES4DISNEY
                  Ivevbeen drawing maps like crazy
                  Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

If it helps to add a little more optimism to the idea, I know that Disneyland doesn't have a Tony's Restaurant but it would be neat to have a "Lady and the Tramp" themed setting as part of the alley way with homages to the spaghetti dinner scene and all.

Comment

Yes yes didn't think about that one
                      Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X