• mratigan
    replied
    Re: Main Street USA expansion

Yes yes didn't think about that one

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

If it helps to add a little more optimism to the idea, I know that Disneyland doesn't have a Tony's Restaurant but it would be neat to have a "Lady and the Tramp" themed setting as part of the alley way with homages to the spaghetti dinner scene and all.

Leave a comment:

• mratigan
    replied

Yes I'm with you 4APPLES4DISNEY
    Ivevbeen drawing maps like crazy

Leave a comment:

• 4Apples4Disney
    replied

I love the idea personally. Especially since it's something that has been considered for so long! Do it now!

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
    More like Liberty Alley, which is appropriate if the "liberty" it brings is the liberty away from crowds to those just trying to make their way to one end or the other of Main Street.

I think Panda's point is that this isn't a street, it is by it's own admission an alley. Alley's aren't where the best part of society lingers. We can dress it up all we want but this is an access road whose #1 goal is to channel large amounts of people quickly, themeing will be secondary as there seems to be no intended goal to make people stop and read all the charming windows and signs, etc.
    That is my point. But if I'm beating a hasty retreat at fireworks time, a little laundry overhead will not slow me down.

Leave a comment:

• Disneymike
    replied

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
    More like Liberty Alley, which is appropriate if the "liberty" it brings is the liberty away from crowds to those just trying to make their way to one end or the other of Main Street.

I think Panda's point is that this isn't a street, it is by it's own admission an alley. Alley's aren't where the best part of society lingers. We can dress it up all we want but this is an access road whose #1 goal is to channel large amounts of people quickly, themeing will be secondary as there seems to be no intended goal to make people stop and read all the charming windows and signs, etc.
    Per Al's update it would be pretty themed up:

A twenty foot wide alley, themed as quite literally an authentic looking back alley behind Victorian-era Main Street
    Fresh from their work on Buena Vista Street, WDI has cooked up a design scheme that would improve the park sightlines and themed story in that area immensely.
    So I don't think it will be just a bland "access road".

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
    Maybe they will call it Liberty Street?

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
    I forgot that small towns were the first to have electric (or gas powered) clothes driers and functional sewers with indoor plumbing .... memory fades when you get to my age .....

And I don't understand why they call prostitution the "world's oldest profession" when it didn't exist back then ....
    But we're talking Main Street here--a representation of the commercial district of a smallish midwestern town, not the slums of NYC. You wouldn't see many folks hanging laundry, because folks often didn't live in those buildings--the upper floors were often offices or other businesses. You really didn't see external fire escapes on the two or three story buildings from the 1880s and 1890s that were typical on the Main Streets Walt was using as models for his.

What you might have seen were simply doors or loading docks. Sure, there was probably some trash and weeds, but by the same reason Disney's Main Street doesn't have a dirt street or telephone poles strung with hundreds of wires, they will probably not include such elements.

Sure, prostitution existed then, but that doesn't mean it was blatantly out in the open. Even today I'd be hard-pressed to find a street walker on Main Street where I live (which, coincidentally, looks quite a lot like Disney's Main Street).

Your view of a typical midwestern 19th century Main Street seems colored by images of very urban, east coast cities from the 1920s. While the typical midwestern Main Street certainly wasn't as pristine as the Disney version, Disney did capture many elements and details that are correct for the period. He may not have created an exact model, but he captured the feeling and the mood (at least initially. Unfortunately, much of that character has been stripped away externally. But some of the interiors have been improved).

Here's a link for "Hometown USA." You can get it for cheap if your library doesn't have it. The pictures are simply priceless if you're a fan of the era.

Hometown U.S.A: Stephen W Sears: 9781566191517: Amazon.com: Books

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Sure I could. But it would take more time than I'm willing to spend. It's easier and more efficient to point you to a source (which I suspect, as most I've reccommended this to, you will not consult). Even so, I reccommend "Main Street Revisted," by Richard Francaviglia. He discuses Disney's Main Street, to some extent, along with a scholarly discussion of Main Streets in American Society from the earliest days. A good read. A more graphical account can be found in"Hometown USA."
    As fate would have it I have a lot of time on my hands these days, so if I can find these at the library, I'll give them a gander .....

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

Although a frequent patrol by a keystone cop might clean up the human element (and I remember Disney Security used to use these), I prefer to think of my view as "cynical", not "sadly out of touch" Can you point out inaccuracies in my statement?
    Sure I could. But it would take more time than I'm willing to spend. It's easier and more efficient to point you to a source (which I suspect, as most I've reccommended this to, you will not consult). Even so, I reccommend "Main Street Revisted," by Richard Francaviglia. He discuses Disney's Main Street, to some extent, along with a scholarly discussion of Main Streets in American Society from the earliest days. A good read. A more graphical account can be found in"Hometown USA."

Leave a comment:

• Chesire
    replied

I know many people will disagree with this:

I'd love to see a small fair set up in this expansion. Livestock displayed, goods sold, small games (such as ring toss) etc. Your good old fashioned fair, with no big rides.

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied

I forgot that small towns were the first to have electric (or gas powered) clothes driers and functional sewers with indoor plumbing .... memory fades when you get to my age .....

And I don't understand why they call prostitution the "world's oldest profession" when it didn't exist back then ....

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

If it's supposed to be a back alley off of a turn of the nineteenth century Main Street, won't it be a bunch of fire escapes with laundry lines strung all over the place with laundry drying; 1902-era thugs, panhandlers, and prostitutes; not to mention overflowing garbage cans and people throwing dirty bathwater out their back doors?
    In big cities like New York or London, probably. Not in a small U.S. town that Main Street USA is supposed to be based on.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Although a frequent patrol by a keystone cop might clean up the human element (and I remember Disney Security used to use these), I prefer to think of my view as "cynical", not "sadly out of touch" Can you point out inaccuracies in my statement?

I
    For one, it paints a picture of a big city when Main Street is supposed to represent the average Middle American small town during that time period.

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

You're sadly out of touch with the 19th century. Nice try though.

I

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

If this comes to pass, I think it's wonderful. Previous backstage diversions have been show destroying messes. (Whether being diverted behind the Emporium block on the West side, or from the Showcase to China Clost blocks on the east side).

During parades and firework blow-offs Main Street simply has become unnavigatable during peak times and some relief it necessary. The fact it is arriving as a themed 'side-street' is a huge bonus.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
    I just mean architecture and detail, which I don't know how much of that has changed.
    Simpley put: A LOT.

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    If it was the turn of the 19th century, you would see a bunch of dudes in powdered wigs carrying fifes and drums. I think you mean the turn of the 20th century which would be ~ 1890 - 1910.
    Whatever you call it, it aint pretty!

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

Nice.

---------- Post added 09-20-2012 at 12:40 AM ----------

If it's supposed to be a back alley off of a turn of the nineteenth century Main Street, won't it be a bunch of fire escapes with laundry lines strung all over the place with laundry drying; 1902-era thugs, panhandlers, and prostitutes; not to mention overflowing garbage cans and people throwing dirty bathwater out their back doors?
    You're sadly out of touch with the 19th century. Nice try though.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-19-2012, 05:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

If it's supposed to be a back alley off of a turn of the nineteenth century Main Street...
    If it was the turn of the 19th century, you would see a bunch of dudes in powdered wigs carrying fifes and drums. I think you mean the turn of the 20th century which would be ~ 1890 - 1910.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X