This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for Cast Members about Smoking at DLR

Anaheim is the smoggiest city in the country? I thought that was Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
      Actually, according to the Huffington Post, Bakersfield/Delano has the worst air quality in the country.
      Deadliest Air Pollution In U.S.: 10 Worst Cities (PHOTOS)
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
        According to Environment America's Clean Air Report, the five smoggiest metropolitan areas in the U.S. are:

1. Riverside-San Bernadino, CA
        2. Visalia-Tulare-Porterville, CA
        3. Bakersfield, CA
        4. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA
        5. Fresno, CA

The fallacy of all of this of course, is the argument that since our air is already bad, we shouldn't complain about second hand cigarette smoke. The "look at all the other things bad we breathe" argument was one of the most constantly heard fallacies from the tobacco industry in the 1970s in their attempts to minimize the health hazards of second hand smoke.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
          I wonder what Disney's response is regarding the electric vapor cigarettes? I smoke but am not rude when in the park (or anywhere else for that matter). I also have an electronic cigarette and wonder what people would think if I fired it up in Disneyland?
          i got told i had to go to the smoking area because it gave the illusion of real smoke with my e-cig

Comment

I wonder what Disney's response is regarding the electric vapor cigarettes? I smoke but am not rude when in the park (or anywhere else for that matter). I also have an electronic cigarette and wonder what people would think if I fired it up in Disneyland?
            I see the response above--but I could swear that someone here was talking about them before, though, and was OK with their electronic vapor cigarette at the park. IIRC they said that when they explained it to a CM, and showed that it was definitely not a smoking cigarette, they were allowed to continue going around the park with it.
            Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Well it's like they say, a no smoking section in a restaurant is like a no peeing section in the pool. I would be in favor of a smoking section that didn't require me, a non-smoker, to take an alternate route to a destination if I don't want to walk past the section and inhale second-hand smoke. Or a smoking area outside the park like the picnic area.

I don't buy the "it's an addiction so they should provide a place for it." There's no designated crystal meth area or needle exchange program at City Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                There's no designated crystal meth area or needle exchange program at City Hall.
                If they put that in, it would be a fastpass attraction for sure.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

If you can smoke an e-cigarette on a plane (you can) then you should be able to smoke an e-cigarette anywhere in Disneyland. There's nothing in the water vapor they admit that is harmful. There's not even any smell.

I have been a smoker in the past but I'm not one now. I think cigarettes should be allowed in designated areas but those areas need to be away from main walkways. Too many people hate them to allow smokers to light up in main walkways. Disneyland could definitely do better with this.

Comment

Isn't it amazing that we know the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke, yet it still exists.

It's all about the money.
                    sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Im not a smoker but come on people im sorry you dont like it im not a fan but come on lay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan View Post
                        You know, just FYI there are way more toxins in the fumes the giant SUV's in that parking lot, than in one of my small cigarettes Personally, I think the fumes from the cars smell worse...but then again I suppose it's just a matter of opinion isn't it...?
                        You sure about that... One study shows that three cigarettes produce 10 TIMES the particulate matter of a 2 liter diesel engine running for 30 mins. And this was done in 2004, since then Diesels have become much more cleaner (Common Rail and AdBlue DPF cut it about 90% more).

Cigarette smoke produces 10 times more air pollution than diesel car exhaust

The air pollution emitted by cigarettes is 10 times greater than diesel car exhaust, suggests a controlled experiment, reported in Tobacco Control.

Environmental tobacco smoke produces fine particulate matter, which is the most dangerous element of air pollution for health. Levels indoors can far exceed those outdoors, because new engine models and lead free fuels have cut the levels of particulate matter emissions from car exhausts, say the authors.

The controlled experiment was carried out in a private garage in a small mountain town in northern Italy. The town enjoys very low levels of particulate matter air pollution

A turbo diesel 2 litre engine was started and left idling for 30 minutes in the garage, with the doors closed, after which the doors were left open for four hours. The car was fuelled with low sulphur fuel.

Three filter cigarettes were then lit up sequentially, and left smouldering for a further 30 minutes. The nicotine and tar content of each cigarette was 1 mg and 11.2 mg, respectively.

A portable analyser took readings every two minutes during the experiments.

Combined particulate levels in the first hour after the engine had been started measured 88 ug/m3. Those recorded in the first hour after the cigarettes had been lit measured 830 ug/m3: 10 times greater.

The diesel engine exhaust doubled the particulate matter levels found outdoors at its peak; the environmental tobacco smoke particulate matter reached levels 15 times those measured outdoors.

[Particulate matter from tobacco versus diesel car exhaust: an educational perspective Tobacco Control 2004; 13: 219-21]

Comment

Originally posted by mandelbrot View Post
                          If you can smoke an e-cigarette on a plane (you can) then you should be able to smoke an e-cigarette anywhere in Disneyland. There's nothing in the water vapor they admit that is harmful. There's not even any smell.
                          While e-cigarettes are safer to smoke than regular cigarettes, they both cause cancer.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!
                          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                            While e-cigarettes are safer to smoke than regular cigarettes, they both cause cancer.
                            Foods with sodium nitrate, which is in processed foods, also cause cancer.

Also from a study done by the Boston University School of Public Health:
                            In the report, the level of carcinogens in electronic cigarettes was found to be up to 1,000 times lower than regular cigarettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                              Isn't it amazing that we know the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke, yet it still exists.
                              And people still try to justify their reasons for using these products and blowing their cancer clouds over us non-smokers.

Comment

But they don't cause cancer for the person standing next to you while you smoke it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                                  But they don't cause cancer for the person standing next to you while you smoke it.
                                  Unfortunately that's not quiet true. E cigarettes promotes smoking by sharing the behavior to onlookers, which causes cancer.
                                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Unfortunately that's not quiet true. E cigarettes promotes smoking by sharing the behavior to onlookers, which causes cancer.
                                    Huh??

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                                      And people still try to justify their reasons for using these products and blowing their cancer clouds over us non-smokers.
                                      go figure!

Comment

Huh??
                                        Use of e-cigarettes promotes the idea that smoking is "cool".

Comment

Originally posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
                                          Use of e-cigarettes promotes the idea that smoking is "cool".
                                          I would disagree with this...I think the media/peer pressure did a lot to get people to smoke back in the day. It was all over tv/movies/music and "everyone" seemed to do it. Now, I think that if a kid saw someone with an e-cigarette they'd shrug it off or realize it was someone trying to cope with a smoking addiction. It's not inherently seen as cool or something to emulate anymore. The same way 99% of people don't leave the Alice in Wonderland ride wanting a hookah, just because the Caterpillar had one in the ride.

Anyway, though, it goes back to immediate harm, not influence or long-term harm. Someone smoking an e-cig might be giving themselves cancer, but they're not giving anyone else cancer or making them sick just by that action. Whereas someone smoking a tobacco cigarette has the potential to cause immediate harm to the people near them via secondhand smoke.
                                          Last edited by Malina; 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM.
                                          Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X