Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not have retractable railings?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Why not have retractable railings?

    So I was looking at the construction being done on the Casey Jr. bridge and it looks as those safety railings are being installed to meet OSHA safety standards. You pair this with the slightly-more thematically appropriate (albeit forced) railings on the recent Matterhorn refurb and of course the Alice in Wonderland debacle, and these OSHA safety restrictions are having a serious effect on the aesthetics of these attractions. My question is, why cant they just build manually-retracting temporary rails that can come out from underneath the tracks so as to not affect the look of the thematic aesthetics of the attraction. Is there some rule that prohibits it? Cause i'm sure I'm not the first person to think of that as being a good solution. This way, all safety codes would be sufficiently met, but Imagineering wouldn't have to find a way to shoe-horn in thematically appropriate "safety rails" every time there is any elevation on the track.

  • #2
    Re: Why not have retractable railings?

    I truly agree with you IndyFan1! I have seen it on many other rides and theme parks. I have seen a clip of The Phantom Manor where when the ride stops,the railings slowly move up! I think if done like this then it doesn't take away of the show and still implements safety!

    ---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 04:19 PM ----------

    Last edited by PetiteMortKvsh; 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM.
    Little and broken, but still good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why not have retractable railings?

      It's odd... They have them on Indy.. They had them on California Screamin', but now they are permanently up on CS.. Wonder why.






      ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
      ~

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why not have retractable railings?

        I forget where I heard this, but the state of CA makes them operate with the railings up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why not have retractable railings?

          Eventually, the state of California will make sure there are no moving vehicles in any attractions and that all attractions are on flat open ground.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why not have retractable railings?

            Originally posted by Spideyfreak110 View Post
            I forget where I heard this, but the state of CA makes them operate with the railings up.
            Yes, OSHA told them to keep the railings up on California Screamin' even though they were designed to retract.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why not have retractable railings?

              Like with Alice, I don't think OSHA told Disney to do anything. They may have made suggestions, but Disney is being proactive at this point rather than reactive. They want to prevent the accident before it occurs. Is it silly? In many instances, yes. I just hope any changes made in the name of safety are tasteful and not invasive. I believe Tony Baxter said recently that Alice will have retractable rails on the outdoor portion of the track.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                I was actually was wondering the same thing. My guess is the fact that they would probably look ugly when the're in the down position.

                honestly, if I were them, I would question the strength of these. I mean a collapsable handrail?
                DisneyTwins
                Since May 2003

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                  Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                  I was actually was wondering the same thing. My guess is the fact that they would probably look ugly when the're in the down position.

                  honestly, if I were them, I would question the strength of these. I mean a collapsable handrail?
                  Not collapsible, retractable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                    The way they retract, makes me question their durability to hold up to weight.
                    DisneyTwins
                    Since May 2003

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                      Originally posted by IndyFan1 View Post
                      So I was looking at the construction being done on the Casey Jr. bridge and it looks as those safety railings are being installed to meet OSHA safety standards. You pair this with the slightly-more thematically appropriate (albeit forced) railings on the recent Matterhorn refurb and of course the Alice in Wonderland debacle, and these OSHA safety restrictions are having a serious effect on the aesthetics of these attractions. My question is, why cant they just build manually-retracting temporary rails that can come out from underneath the tracks so as to not affect the look of the thematic aesthetics of the attraction. Is there some rule that prohibits it? Cause i'm sure I'm not the first person to think of that as being a good solution. This way, all safety codes would be sufficiently met, but Imagineering wouldn't have to find a way to shoe-horn in thematically appropriate "safety rails" every time there is any elevation on the track.
                      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

                      Ugh! That sounds awfully ugly. Doesn't 50 years of safe travel on that bridge mean anything?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                        Originally posted by Werner View Post
                        Ugh! That sounds awfully ugly. Doesn't 50 years of safe travel on that bridge mean anything?
                        It means that nothing has happened yet. Nothing more.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                          Maybe they should put rubber "bumpers" on all of the lightposts and trees, too. No one has yet absent-mindedly run into one, and cracked their skull open, but they could!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                            Why are you judging something that isn't even built yet?

                            Just because no one has been injured on it for the past 50 years, doesn't mean it can't happen.
                            DisneyTwins
                            Since May 2003

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                              How many people have fallen and skinned a knee?! I could hit my head on the concrete!! I demand they issue helmets and knee/elbow pads for the sake of preventing further injury!! :rules:

                              Yes, that was sarcasm. Unfortunately, with our sue-happy society, "safety" has become a term to reduce the risk of being sued by people breaking rules (and not using common sense).


                              Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
                              KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                                Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                                honestly, if I were them, I would question the strength of these. I mean a collapsable handrail?
                                Yes, there are common designs for this. They are pulled up and lay back down into the ground.

                                Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                                The way they retract, makes me question their durability to hold up to weight.
                                The handrail is there to help people maintain balance - not hang on or climb up.

                                It's a proven concept - no need to question. Rails can be pop-up designs, they can lay down along their axis, they can flip up from a perpendicular direction.. there are lots of designs out there.
                                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                                Am I evil? yes, I am
                                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                                Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                                  Why use breakaway ropes on the Columbia?

                                  Retractable rails are just one more thing to break down and shut down the ride. I'll reserve judgment until I see the aesthetics in action. DLR has an incredible safety record per guest for a reason.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                                    Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                                    Why use breakaway ropes on the Columbia?

                                    Retractable rails are just one more thing to break down and shut down the ride. I'll reserve judgment until I see the aesthetics in action. DLR has an incredible safety record per guest for a reason.
                                    lets just take the motors out all together.. then it will be safe AND never break down..
                                    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                                    Am I evil? yes, I am
                                    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                                    Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                                      Is the Columbia rope question rhetorical?

                                      I was just curious on how strong they were. I agree that they should try do use them.
                                      DisneyTwins
                                      Since May 2003

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Why not have retractable railings?

                                        Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                                        Why use breakaway ropes on the Columbia?

                                        Retractable rails are just one more thing to break down and shut down the ride. I'll reserve judgment until I see the aesthetics in action. DLR has an incredible safety record per guest for a reason.
                                        I believe nylon ropes were used for a while and those are what snapped and killed that person a few years back. Breakaway ropes prevent too much tension from building I think.
                                        In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X