Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reimagined Tomorrowland ...with a definite place and time!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reimagined Tomorrowland ...with a definite place and time!

I disagree. The land could be designed to look more like images we've seen in Disney/Pixar films... Or disneyize the future with a fun yet generic exterior. I like the LED canopy idea as we have in Downtown Las Vegas.
    Remove the lame rides (IMO) Nemo, Autopia, Innoventions, the star port, Captain Eo and the Starcade.
    replace with rides based on... TRON, WALL-e, John Carter of Mars maybe... And yes... Another Star Wars ride or eatery (think Mos Eisley cantina)

Nemo can be rebuilt, I would say throw it over in DCA similar to a star tours ride.

throw some fun TRON like neons and interactive projections for a night time experience never seen.

it could be something incredible.

Comment

Let's hope that Imagineering is already deep into the Blue Sky process for a completely reimagined TomorrowLand. Just look at what one post for one re-imagination of Tommorland has generated already. Clearly, there is no other area of the Resort that screams for a massive reworking on a scale equal to or greater than Cars Land. It's a great opportunity, but it also presents a great risk (lest we get more of the same from the last TomorrowLand overhaul, the Imagineering equivalent of "New Coke").

Part of the appeal of TomorrowLand, and also the problem for any re-design, is the origin of the original TomorrowLand. As many have noted, projecting the future is nigh impossible, particularly in our current age when new technology exceeds the old by leaps and bounds but is also obsolete as soon as it hits the market. That wasn't the case in the 50's and early 60's. Unlike any time in modern history, there was an enormous fascination with the future & science: space travel, modern means of transportation, splitting the atom, exploring cellular structures, etc. When TomorrowLand opened, manned space flight had not yet occurred, but everybody just knew we were heading to the moon and beyond. In that environment, the expectations of the future, particularly Walt's expectations of the future, were the appeal. Now, there is no such sense of awe, just the demand for more than was made available yesterday.

The TommowLand of the 60's was no more accurate in predicting the future than Innoventions is now. But the attractions played on our hopes and desires, and they were extremely well executed. That is why so many discussions about the future of TomorrowLand include hopes for restored or re-imagined versions of what is no longer there (Carousel of Progress, Peoplemover, Adventure thru Innerspace, the Rocket Jets above TomorrowLand, etc.) I would love to have the TomorrowLand of the 60's and early 70's (along with Space Mountain), but I know that is not going to happen. However, it is not too much to ask, or expect, that Imagineering reinvent TomorrowLand so as to recapture what we felt in its glory days, and not just look for ways to incorporate theme park attractions into a merchandising opportunity.

Comment

OK, I'll bite. Remember that the TL of the 50's could have been called SciFi-Land. Man in space, etc. What TL always lacked was tweaking as technology changed and updated. Example: Look at the Enterprise of the original Star Trek compared with the last version. It's still a starship and the mission is the same, but the way of presenting the idea was updated. If you were to create the Mission To Mars (MM) attraction today you would create it differently than they did in the 60's. MM could have been tweaked and modernized at any time but they let it go stale. Think of MM using Star Tours tech. It is plausible.

Tomorrowland simply needs to be updated and revised not torn down. Somebody mentioned a portal? No. Adventurelands portal is an archway and architectural changes. The brain handles the rest. I do like the Fremont Street canopy idea, though. OK, here's my retro update idea.

Move the Orbiter back to it's pedestal where it belongs.
        Buzz Lightyear: Gone. Put in a vastly updated ATIS featuring a story based on nanotechnology and subatomic particles.
        Star Tours: Your safe, I'm a fan.
        Space Mountain: Expand the track out the backside of the building and enter a new show building. A massive diorama could be built.
        Peoplemover: Updated track system featuring inductive propulsion. Buildings along the track would have to be modified but this is a major overhaul. New track would go through the expanded Space Mountain giving a different perspective of the diorama (You could put the updated Mission To Mars Control Center here).
        Innovations: Gone. Return the Carousel Theater to a show building with a new presentation. A five episode look at Disney innovations in the parks from the beginning to the future. Hosted by Tom Morrow or the Father from CoP (I like retro references). The show has a lot of AA, ride tech innovation, and Walts ideas on the future. Finish the show by going upstairs for a fully animated DL model showcasing old rides as well as future ideas.
        Autopia: Hard to change since it rides over the Submarines. Maybe going electric on the cars with a Sci-Fi twist.
        Monorail: Don't mess with a classic. You can't tell me that restoring the streetcars and subways in LA was cheaper than a monorail system.
        Submarines: Another classic. Change the Nemo show. Anyone seen the short on the Nemo DVD? It features one of Jacques Cousteau's sons discussing the ocean with commentary from Dorie and Nemo. It could be the base of a new show that is less obnoxious. The new show can still showcase underwater exploration, sunken cities, plate tectonics, etc.

There is still room in TL to add other ideas once you get rid of the pizza place and Capt EO.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Well said, TrueBlue!

Comment

Good concept MarkW. As far as 'Tomorrowland quickly becoming Yesterdayland' thing, I'd say that space colonization or space travel for the masses is pretty far in the future, probably a century or more away. So the theme of a space colony or galactic star station would hold for some time. As an homage to my generation and the location of my youth (1970s L A) I'd like to see Innoventions remade into a good old Griffith Park Planetarium-style 'Laserium' show. Nothing like a good old fashioned observatory constellation show with laser lights & music to get you in the mood for traveling through space.
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Could combine a mission to Mars theme with John Carter...
              Follow some Classic Star Wars design cues. A bit of age makes it feel more real.

In my lifetime, I would love to see another Star Wars feature, autopia, innoventions and Nemo ... Gone and replaced with higher technology rides/features.

IMO, autopia and nemo may be classic, but they too dated and cover a whole lot of prime real estate.

Comment

MRaymond's proposal to reinvent Innoventions as a Carousel of Disneyland/Disney Parks Progress is a terrific idea. It would not run the risk of the large gaps in history of the final scene of COP, projecting the future would be accurate since Disney would actually knowwhat was coming, and you could incorporatesome aspect of the Walt Disney Story that did not end up in the Carthay Circle Theater.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue View Post
                  MRaymond's proposal to reinvent Innoventions as a Carousel of Disneyland/Disney Parks Progress is a terrific idea. It would not run the risk of the large gaps in history of the final scene of COP, projecting the future would be accurate since Disney would actually knowwhat was coming, and you could incorporatesome aspect of the Walt Disney Story that did not end up in the Carthay Circle Theater.
                  I thought about it some more and the Carousel of Disney show (I like that) could also feature rides that never materialized. Failure is always an option, they say. The layout of the old EPCOT model that was there before had plenty of space.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

What I would like to see for Tomorrowland is something like what people in 1955 imagined the world would look like in 2055. . . kind of like the "History of the future" theme, but less Victorian, more Jetsons. . . any ideas?
                    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

Comment

This might be a good place to introduce my idea of using the tower of terror elevator technology. No specific theme but the use of existing technology with a twist. We know that the elevator motors make the elevator fall faster than gravity to allow the sensation of falling fast. So why can't this be done in a forward, backward or sideways direction? This technology could be be used for so many interplanetary,microscopic, or futuristic journeys & transportation effects while adding 3d, or 360 degree surround effects, or however they can be improved.The ride vehicle could hold quite a few people and not take up much ground space, especially if the attraction could offer different visuals each time the ride vehicle return to its starting position. Using different tunnels, moveable walls or changing projections with each movement.

Comment

Originally posted by DJS View Post
                        IMO, autopia and nemo may be classic, but they too dated and cover a whole lot of prime real estate.
                        What is classic about Nemo?
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

That depends on which Nemo we're talking about.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
                            That depends on which Nemo we're talking about.
                            Unfortunately, that's not the Nemo they used. Imagine how much better the ride would have been with that theme.
                            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

we made my sad
                              WDI could do great things like
                              Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

Also, let's not forget the wonderful Herbert Lom from 1961's "Mysterious Island." Sadly, he passed on September 27 (at 95!), but nonehteless a classic Nemo. He was also in "Third Man on the Mountain," Walt's inspiration for the Matterhorn.

Comment

TOMORROWLAND @ DISNEYLAND ...

I believe enough of us agree this is the least favored section @ Disneyland due to various factors; starting with the fact there are less Rides / Attractions now then there were 40 years ago (& the fact you have Rides exiting into Gift Shops - how awful, how Eisner era) ....

I am from the generation built upon Mid-Century Modern (Googie Jetson style Architecture), fueled upon the Aerospace Facilities which used to dot Southern California (McDonnell Douglas, Hughes, Boeing, TWA, etc) and kept dreaming of a better tomorrow (outer space travel, moon bases, satellites reaching the outer galaxy, advancements in modern medicine and chemistry, etc) ....

I'm personally disappointed that Tomorrowland has turned 1/3 into Fantasyland (another words, there are rides such as Finding Nemo Submarines and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters which do not belong there, in my opinion) with an emphasis on schilling merchandise (no thanks to the Eisner era) vs. promoting future visions. I <3 Steampunk, however I don't think it belongs as a theme within Tomorrowland (and please don't get me started on how that fantastic Mary Blair artwork was painted over, it only reminds me why I loath the Eisner era at times) ....

Before I can look ahead, let's look back @ some of what we had within Tomorrowland -

Astro Jets (aka Tomorrowland Jets (1956-1966) / Rocket Jets (1967-1997)

Flight to the Moon (1955-1966) / Mission to Mars (1975-1992)

Circarama (1955-1997)

Skyway to Fantasyland (1956-1994)

Submarine Voyage (1959-1998)

Carousel of Progress (1967-1973) / America Sings (1974-1988)

Adventure Through Inner Space (1967-1985)

PeopleMover (1967-1995)

Tomorrowland Stage (1967 - 1985)

Coca-Colar Tomorrowland Terrace Stage (1967-1994)

Monsanto House of the Future (1957-1967)

Then, let's see what we have left in Tomorrowland that I admire (yes I agree that Autotopia, Tomorrowland Terrace and Starcade need to be revamped / neglected less) -

Autotopia (1955)

Disneyland Monorail (1959)

Disneyland Railroad (1955)

Space Mountain (1977)

Starcade (1970)

Star Tours II (2011)

Tomorrowland Terrace (2006)

I obviously omitted mentioning Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Captain EO, Innoventions, Rocket Rods (none of these interested me and I didn't feel they belonged in Tomorrowland), along with various Attractions before 1966 (some interesting ideas that did not last very long), which makes me feel that Tomorrowland was never officially ready for the public since the opening of Disneyland. But, when you look back on Tomorrowland? It certainly feels like we had more to experience before 1994 (before the Eisner era started to ruin things) ...

Tomorrowland has also suffered for only having one true dining experience (does anyone actually dine @ Redd Rockett's Pizza Port? Or the Spirit of Refreshment? I've only heard terrible things about both) and that's the Tomorrowland Terrace ... which really doesn't offer much room for outside dining (wouldn't it be nice if Tomorrowland had an indoor dining area, too?). As for shopping? Well I always enjoyed it when a Ride had an actually exit vs exiting into a Merchandise Zone (and the Shops were located in separate buildings); which leaves Tomorrowlanding and Star Trader - a large shopping area below the Starcade (itself a zone that is under used - although I noticed Wreck it Ralph will be using this space to promote the film) that ought to be rethemed to reflect an actual Tomorrowland ....

to be cont -

C J
                                  sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Can we bring in our own notions of a new Tomorrowland in here? I've got a Tomorrowland story bible idea drawing from the existing Magic Kingdom bible and a few characters utilized in a manner that actually has some thought put into it versus how they seem to just plop them in these days.

Nicknamed the idea "Tomorrow's Child" after the old Epcot song as the way I'm picturing it, Tomorrowland becomes a city in the future built by Robinson Industries and a greater interaction between Earth and the Galactic Federation though the actions of now-grown up Ambassador Lilo. Could also expand this by drawing from the future of Phineas and Ferb as depicted in "Quantum Boogaloo", ENCOM's further advances with the Digital Frontier and nods to locations seen in Horizons and use the Metro-Retro Historical Society to bring in some nods to Tomorrowland's past.

To tie this into my notions of giving Disney and the parks more of an interlocking shared universe/multiverse story, it's a combination of Tomorrowland's technology and Fantasyland's magic that allows the various realms of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy to come together through some network of rifts that just become perceived as an amalgam of them all. These links vary from "park to park" depending on the key used to access them: the Park Ticket.
                                    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                    sigpic
                                    Flickr

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X