This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Advice about dining options

I'm looking around online (allears.net) for different dining options. Kind of interested in going to Blue Bayou but am looking at Carthay Circle or Wine Country Trattoria. Preferably looking for "resonable" prices say around $30 to $35. And it's for two adults. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ok I know I said $30 to $35 but that I am lenient.

Re: Advice about dining options

I'm not particularly crazy about the Trattoria. I've had Stouffer's frozen lasagna which was just as good if not better. I'd go for your other choices, although I have never eaten at the Carthay Circle.

Comment

Recently enjoyed a very good salmon dish at the French Market Restaurant and the music playing there. There are other options as well, but, for the price the Salmon was surprisingly well prepared, not too dry or over-cooked. In CA, we tried Ariel's, which was quite different and good. The real bonus at Ariel's for dinner are the "preferred STANDING section for World of Color". Rancho del Zocalo is just so-so, I tried the carnitas, which was very tough. Hope this helps and have a magical day!

Comment

Originally posted by Meryl View Post
        Recently enjoyed a very good salmon dish at the French Market Restaurant and the music playing there. There are other options as well, but, for the price the Salmon was surprisingly well prepared, not too dry or over-cooked. In CA, we tried Ariel's, which was quite different and good. The real bonus at Ariel's for dinner are the "preferred STANDING section for World of Color". Rancho del Zocalo is just so-so, I tried the carnitas, which was very tough. Hope this helps and have a magical day!
        Ariel no longer has the WOC option.

Comment

So then would the trattoria be the only place with a WOC option?

Comment

Or Cathay circle. Each person must order a dessert or app and entree.

Comment

I'm looking at allears and would the app be what is labeled a starter? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Comment

Yes. Also salads or soups count too I think as apps.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the quality per price of the food at Blue Bayou, but I really think there's something everyone needs to eat at once in the DLR. I'd go for lunch or just order a small dish a piece. The atmosphere is so unique.

Comment

I would LOVE to do Blue Bayou but I think I'll wait for another trip. We're looking to get APs once we get a car so it's in the not too distant future.
                    I talked with my BF and I'm pretty sure we'll do Carthay Circle for dinner around the time of WOC. How would I go about doing that? What is the best time to go? Do I need like a reservation?

He's looking at the bacon wrapped shrimp and I'm intrigued by the udon noodles. Anyone have experience with these?

---------- Post added 09-29-2012 at 10:21 PM ----------

Oh, also, is it possible to share a dessert?

---------- Post added 09-29-2012 at 10:28 PM ----------

Haha, nevermind. I looked at the disneyland website for Carthay Circle. Should have looked there first.

Comment

Originally posted by powMeow View Post
                      ... I'm pretty sure we'll do Carthay Circle for dinner around the time of WOC. How would I go about doing that? What is the best time to go? Do I need like a reservation?

He's looking at the bacon wrapped shrimp and I'm intrigued by the udon noodles. Anyone have experience with these?...
                      Highly recommend having a reservation for CCR. You can wait for a table, but it may take a while if they are busy. What do you mean "dinner around the time of WOC"? Do you want to do the WOC dining package to see the show? Then you would need to dine before the show (well before if you want plenty of time to enjoy your meal and find a good viewing spot). If you want to see the first show (assuming there are 2 shows the night you go), either eat lunch or eat dinner before 7 pm. After 7 pm, you will be given FPs to the 2nd show (and if you dine earlier and specifically ask, you can receive FPs for the 2nd show).

The bacon wrapped shrimp are yummy. There are not a ton of them on the plate, so if your boyfriend is a hearty eater, he will want an appetizer or two. I've heard that the udon noodles are good, but haven't tried them yet.

You can share a dessert, but you will not qualify for the WOC FPs unless you have also ordered plenty of other items (like 1 app. & 1 entree each). For example, we shared a dessert and an entree, but we also ordered several appetizers and drinks. Our total bill was enough to qualify us for the FPs.

Comment

Thank you every one for your suggestions and advice. I think we're going to do the WOC "package" with one plate and dessert each. And drinks definitely want to try some drinks. Do you think around $100 is enough for the two of us?

Oh forgot to add I'm thinking of going for the 2nd show. We're looking at Sunday, Oct 14th. The schedule online says there are two shows. Would around 8 be enough time do you think. We're pretty fast eaters.

Comment

You might be fast eaters but rumors have been that the service at CC can be slow...

---------- Post added 09-30-2012 at 08:30 AM ----------

Check all ears and see what you'd order and add the tip to see if $100 is enough...

Comment

Oh ok, thank you for the suggestion but when I looked on allears there is no area that shows the prices for drinks.

Comment

I'd guess that with alcohol, tax, and tip (aim for 20%), $100 for dinner for two people will be a bit low. Tip alone on a $100 tab will be $20. And you will want to enjoy your special meal together, not be worrying the whole time about going over budget. I'd budget for $150, then use the change for a souvenir or treat while watching WOC.

Comment

Ok. Last question: is the WOC option really worth it? Is the view that great?

Comment

I agree on the $150 with PascalGal.

---------- Post added 09-30-2012 at 02:11 PM ----------

There are other threads that talk about the viewing areas for WOC meals & the value.

I'm going to the Wine Country Trattoria 11/4 (i think, Monday) so I'll post if that area was worth it.

Comment

Hmmm. Haven't eaten at the Carthay Circle Restaurant yet - on the agenda for the next trip. I'll still say the best meal I've eaten in either park is the cajun-spiced salmon at the Blue Bayou (some of the other choices are kind of hit and miss). Eating at the Blue Bayou is something you will always remember. My plan, drinks and an appetizer at the Carthay Circle - over to the Blue Bayou for the main meal, then over to the Cove Bar for a nightcap. Nice.
                                    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

I agree that you should do the Blue Bayou once (I'm with Shelby on the prices),

but I also like the idea of you two having two nice meals instead of one of Disney's most expensive ones. Since you mentioned both parks, I LOVE a laid back breakfast at the River Belle Terrace, and a Flo's V8 lunch eaten along the south side of the restaurant across from the RRS races.

And I was very satisfied with the yellow zone tickets that came with our otherwise too small and overpriced (but yummy) boxed meals--reserved in advance. I think of it as a nice snack as a bonus with some reasonably priced tickets.)

At WoC, I recommend standing so there is a fenced garden area right in front of you--as opposed to tall people. I like TimeTraveler's Cove Bar suggestion, but you might also consider imbibing at Trader Sam's at the Disneyland hotel.

On really crowded days, I like splurging on shaded seats seats at the Big Thunder BBQ, especially if I'm in an all-I-can-eat mood for some delicious chicken and ribs. This place never seems to be crowded due to its prices. Insist on sitting in the shade if it's hot and sunny.
                                      Last edited by jcruise86; 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by powMeow View Post
                                        Ok. Last question: is the WOC option really worth it? Is the view that great?
                                        Think of the WOC FPs as a nice freebie. Whether you eat at WCT or CCR, you will be enjoying a nice meal at a nice restaurant. Is that worth it to you? Getting WOC FPs included is just a nice benefit. It is absolutely possible to get a very good viewing spot for WOC without the dining packages. But, if you want to see WOC and you also want to have a nicer meal in DCA, then do the Preferred Dining package. Otherwise, go with a picnic or a free FP for WOC and enjoy a special meal at another location (e.g. CCR lounge, Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, or another place in DtD, etc.).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X