This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report a special trip for a wonderful little boy

when my nephew was two, doctors discovered he had a cancerous brain tumor and he immediately underwent surgery and was put through over two years of chemotherapy. during that time, he was unable to go to many public places, such as theme parks or pools. it was hard to explain to a young child going through so much already that he wasn't allowed to do things his friends and relatives were doing. it was even more painful to watch him see the advertisements for carsland (cars is his favorite movie) and realize that was yet another thing he couldn't do.

then, the wonderful news came: he was being taken off chemo and his port was being removed. we immediately started planning a family trip to disneyland.

we tried to make it a surprise, but as soon as we pulled up to the garage he said, "wait...that's goofy on the wall. this whole place is goofy......i think this is disneyland." he's just too smart for his own good

it was really a wonderful three days. we went on pirates more times than i can count, he was spoiled with gifts, he took his picture with mcqueen, and, after a four hour wait, rode the racers he so desperately wanted to ride. we watched the parade in california adventure and the army guys danced with him and he split a mickey pretzel with me (my favorite food to get) as we watched the parade through disneyland.

when my sister was at the store, getting ears made for him, the lady asked what brought us to disneyland. upon telling the story of his sickness and this being all he wanted for so long, the lady was absolutely wonderful and gave her an "i'm celebrating" button and made a pass with my nephew's name on it to get him to the front of the line on pirates (his favorite ride...one of many, of course). he loved feeling special and getting to hand that pass to the cast member and even slyly said, pointing to all of us, "and they're with me." what a ham!

there's too many amazing pictures from such a magical trip, but this is my favorite. it was taken at the end of the first day after we rode the tram back. he fell asleep immediately after exiting the gates, and you can see just a hint of a smile on his face.
    Attached Files

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Re: a special trip for a wonderful little boy

Such a great report! I was teared up by the end. That picture is priceless, as I'm sure the experience was for all of you.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

What an amazing story! brought tears to my eyes too!! He's so adorable! I'm glad he got to go to disneyland!

Comment

Ah I was hoping to make it through this report without tears, but failed. Thank you for sharing such a touching family time! With so many threads about whether the park is worth it or if the changes are good, this brief but touching trip report is the perfect reminder to all what the magic of the parks can be.
        “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

Comment

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
          Such a great report! I was teared up by the end. That picture is priceless, as I'm sure the experience was for all of you.
          Same here...teared up by the end. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

What a precious story. I can relate to this one on so many levels as we took my baby sister to Disneyland for her Make-A-Wish trip and I don't think any trip to Disneyland was more special than that one. Here's to many more trips to Disneyland for that special little nephew of yours, what a cutie!!

Facebook me!
            Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

All I can say is WOW!!!! So glad that he got to go to the Happiest Pace on Earth. So happy he is doing better.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. So glad he got to go to Disneyland!

Comment

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
                  me too
                  whay a great trip
                  Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

Chalk up another misty-eyed reader here. Hard not to read without the tug at the heart strings....especially the picture that closes your story. So incredibly wonderful for him to have this experience.
                    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X