Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

favorite disney theme park related books?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] favorite disney theme park related books?

i have a ton of disneyland books, but i'm always looking for recommendations! what are your faves?

Re: favorite disney theme park related books?

My friend bought the book with the vintage Disneyland posters in it on our last visit... I don't personally own any Disneyland books, but I'm pretty tempted to pick up a copy of this one myself. I love those posters!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

I bought myself Chef Mickey when my trip got cancelled. I haven't had a chance to try the recipes yet but they look amazing.

My absolute favourite is Disneyland: The First Quarter Century. My grandmother left it to me and it's a lovely reminder of her. We never got to go together.

And the last that deserves a mention is a photographic kids book. Disney's Mickey and Friends on the Railroad -it's simple and lovely.
      sigpic Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

Comment

I echo the praise on Disneyland: The First Quarter Century. When I was kid, I spent a lot of time pouring over that book, and I still do for time to time.
        Here are my other picks:
        The Disneyland Encyclopedia by Chris Stodder - I bought this book several years ago and found it to be quite excellent. I recently bought the updated version for my Kindle. With the Kindle version being just five dollars, this book is a great bargain.
        Mouse Tales by David Koenig - all the gossip that you would ever want to know about the park and then some.
        Designing Disney by John Hench - this book is beautifully put together and assembled. If you want to get inside the head of one of the imagineers, get this book.
        The Haunted Mansion - from the Magic Kingdom to the Movies by Jason Surrell - for the Haunted Mansion fanatic (which I consider myself to be).
        Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park by Jeff Kurtti - a good reference book. It helps me keep track of who did what in the parks.
        Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland - nice, compact reference book.
        In Service to the Mouse by Jack Lindquist - an interesting read if you want to get more of a business perspective on the park.
        Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis - several excellent Disneyland-related essays along with other Disney related material.
        Disneyland Detective - a good travel book on the park. Lots of good trivia.

Comment

Disneyland - Nickel Tour, Gordon & Mumford, authors.

Comment

Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance edited by Karal Ann Marling.

Vinyl Leaves: Walt Disney World and America by Stephen Fjellman.

Walt Disney and the Quest for Community by Steve Mannheim (not directly about the parks)

And of course Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! by our own Steve DeGaetano.

Comment

I have the First Quarter Century and I love it. I bought it when it came out. Another favorite is;
              Disneyland - Inside Story
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Poster Art of the Disney Parks. Really gorgeous book

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
                Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
                Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
                Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Comment

Vault of Walt - Jim Korkis

In Service to the Mouse - Jack Lindquist
                  Attached Files

Comment

It really depends on what kind of book you want to read. For people who really enjoy the in-depth history of the Park's design, then "Architecture of Reassurance" is hard to beat. It's pretty deep though, mostly text rather than pictures. If you want something lighter, you can get Mouse tales or Disneyland Detective.

While I have a lot of the more light-hearted books, I do lean toward the meatier ones. But it is good to have a balanced collection.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/WALT-DISNEY-IM...s=imagineering

and

Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real: The imagineers: 9781423107668: Amazon.com: Books

Hands down, these are my 2 favorites.

Comment

We seem to all like the same books.

Disneyland Inside Story is one of my favorites. Also, Disneyland the first 25 years, and Walt Disney Imagineering.

I was also really, really fond of Mouse Tales, but honestly, they don't have the rereadability as the big coffee table books.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                          Disneyland - Nickel Tour, Gordon & Mumford, authors.
                          I'll give you 20 bucks for it! lol

Kidding of course.
                          DisneyTwins
                          Since May 2003

Comment

I put my Disney book collection on Pinterest:

My Disney Book Collection
                            -Tennor-
                            http://www.AnnaLiberty.Wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Keaton View Post
                              I echo the praise on Disneyland: The First Quarter Century. When I was kid, I spent a lot of time pouring over that book, and I still do for time to time.
                              Here are my other picks:
                              The Disneyland Encyclopedia by Chris Stodder - I bought this book several years ago and found it to be quite excellent. I recently bought the updated version for my Kindle. With the Kindle version being just five dollars, this book is a great bargain.
                              Mouse Tales by David Koenig - all the gossip that you would ever want to know about the park and then some.
                              Designing Disney by John Hench - this book is beautifully put together and assembled. If you want to get inside the head of one of the imagineers, get this book.
                              The Haunted Mansion - from the Magic Kingdom to the Movies by Jason Surrell - for the Haunted Mansion fanatic (which I consider myself to be).
                              Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park by Jeff Kurtti - a good reference book. It helps me keep track of who did what in the parks.
                              Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland - nice, compact reference book.
                              In Service to the Mouse by Jack Lindquist - an interesting read if you want to get more of a business perspective on the park.
                              Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis - several excellent Disneyland-related essays along with other Disney related material.
                              Disneyland Detective - a good travel book on the park. Lots of good trivia.
                              thanks! i own most of those, but there are two that i don't that i'll 100% check out! i'm so excited to get some new ones. i buy pretty much any i find that aren't tacky/travel guide-ish.

---------- Post added 10-02-2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

Originally posted by Tennor View Post
                              I put my Disney book collection on Pinterest:

My Disney Book Collection
                              i think i love you! thanks, i'm going to follow your board. awesome!!

Comment

Keys to the Kingdom, by Kim Masters

Best book on Eisner-era Disney that I've ever read.

Comment

It's not a book about Disneyland persay but I loves reading the books. They are a series of four books witht he fifth one coming out soon. They are called Hidden Mickey. They are written by a fellow Micechatter I believe by the same name. They are about an adventure thru DLR and Walt's life. I couldn't put them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Krack View Post
                                    Keys to the Kingdom, by Kim Masters

Best book on Eisner-era Disney that I've ever read.
                                    If you like this book you should definitely read DisneyWar. It actually has first hand accounts from all the players (Stewart was given unprecedented access to Eisner and interviewed Katz, Roy, Jobs, and many of the others). Also it ends right after Eisner gets the no-confidence vote from the shareholders so it feels like there is more of an ending.

Easily the best expose on the Eisner era that exists.

Comment

If you like reading about the experiences of cast members, David Koenig's Mouse Tales are fun. Jim Korkis' Vault of Walt tells tales of those who knew Walt and their anecdotes about him. Historian Dave Smith's book Disney Trivia from the Vault covers a wide range of areas about all-things-Disneyl
                                      sigpic
                                      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

I have a big Imagineering book which is full of awesome pictures and such, then of course Dark Side of Disney was also a fun read. It's pretty short, but definitely entertaining.
                                        Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X