X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: No more annual passes in 2013?

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
    ^Instead of raising the price, how else would you limit it?
    Drop the two lower tiers.

Here`s an analogy and it`s just my opinion. Pretend that Chevron was giving everyone that lived within a certain radius of their plant the chance to buy gas at 25cents/gal.That would be great for them, but everyone else is paying $4 plus/gal for the same gas.The outsiders would be envious of the insiders being able to drive in circles all day, go more places more often. Maybe Disney feels they have enough people willing to pay $4/gal that they don`t need to subsidize attendance with discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioDisneyTech View Post
      There is no intentions of removing the annual passes its a year around money maker but there is a happy medium to be found because there is such a thing as TOO MANY AP holders so instead of limiting they raise prices on those passes next raise due this winter 2012.
      That way it will thin out the crowds some and sorry to say loose some that can no longer afford it. And most likely deter any newcomers to the AP world.
      Yes, this is what I think is going to CONTINUE to happen. Just like this year, they are going to raise prices again. Little by little, they will get to the number of AP'ers they want by people declining to renew their passes.

Heck, I am in that boat. I bought my Premier AP at Ralph's for $499 after they bumped up the Premier pass to $649. I highly doubt I am going to renew my pass in June next year. Too expensive.

I think the key is to get the number of Deluxe and Premier passholders low enough where their effect on the Summer months, the times when out of state visitors are highest, is mitigated.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Premier pass go to $750 next year. With $87 down, people would be paying about $55 a month for that pass. For a family of 4, that's a pretty steep amount to pay and I am sure that would eliminate even more Premiere passholders.

Comment

As recently as yesterday I was given a flyer advertising APs by the attendant at the M&F parking structure (even though I "paid" for my parking by showing my AP). Although I will admit that it is theoretically possible that the AP program may certainly require "tweaking" from time to time, and that the WD company has sufficient data to make qualified business decisions, such decisions as eliminating APs will not seem plausible as long as they continue to advertise the program.
        "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
        - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryp49 View Post
          Drop the two lower tiers.
          Or, drop the two uppper tiers and raise the prices of the lower tiers to the current upper tier prices.
          If AP program is for filling the parks in the off-season, then selling APs with no blocked-out days contradicts that goal.

Also, lower the prices of one-day tickets. That will make the AP less of a "bargain" to many.

Comment

I assume the reason for AP $increases is parallel to reasons for gate $increases. I doubt either are because of the other.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
              Or, drop the two uppper tiers and raise the prices of the lower tiers to the current upper tier prices.
              If AP program is for filling the parks in the off-season, then selling APs with no blocked-out days contradicts that goal.

Also, lower the prices of one-day tickets. That will make the AP less of a "bargain" to many.
              That won't happen.. if they lower the tickets, they lower the AP rate, if they raise the ticket the ap rate goes up too .. vice versa, ap rate rises ticket price rises

Originally posted by DJS View Post
              I assume the reason for AP $increases is parallel to reasons for gate $increases. I doubt either are because of the other.
              yes they are, if they raise the ticket price the AP rate goes up also.. and vice versa!

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 04:15 PM ----------

Originally posted by DJS View Post
              I don't wear my AP on a lanyard. That's so odd.
              well so you think. It's actually comes in handy,specially when you constantly have to take it out throughout the day and at least you know it's in one place

Comment

For a local theme park to discontinue an annual pass service would be absurd. That would be like Six Flags saying you can't get a season pass anymore.

Disneyland annual passes are already limited enough to make it questionable, imo. You don't get weekends and you are blocked out during the summer and a majority of the holiday season. If anything they will probably increase the price and/or put in more blockout dates.
                Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Like every other AP thread... it's not about 'all or nothing' - there are shades of grey available.

There are more options that could be offered. Disney could offer bundles of admissions.. Disney could offer heavily discounted admissions (think discount club)... Disney could just stop the unblocked passes.. etc.

IMHO - the solution is to offer a 'frequent flyer' type loyalty program that rewards spending, not just a one-time up front cost. And offer discounted bundles of admissions rather than an unlimited pass. Buy 15 admissions, etc.
                  Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                  Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                  Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
                    That won't happen.. if they lower the tickets, they lower the AP rate, if they raise the ticket the ap rate goes up too .. vice versa, ap rate rises ticket price rises
                    Yes, I know they haven't taken my advice for over a decade.

---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 08:30 AM ----------

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                    For a local theme park to discontinue an annual pass service would be absurd. That would be like Six Flags saying you can't get a season pass anymore.
                    Any other local amusement park, sure.
                    Disneyland can do what it wants. It is (or should be) the leader and the others will follow.

---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 08:34 AM ----------

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    Like every other AP thread... it's not about 'all or nothing' - there are shades of grey available.
                    Yes, once the AP Program is discontinued, all manner of ideas will be created (or, actually, resurrected) to get the park filled in the newly resurrected off-season.
                    I like all of the ideas you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                      Roughly 50..

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
                        Roughly 50..

:whistling NICE.

Comment

Oh, my.

Comment

Originally posted by mekchin View Post
                            I heard a rumor from that annual passes may be eliminated in 2013. The reason is because the average annual passholder does not spend as much money while in the parks as a tourist. I certainly hope this rumor is not true. Has anyone else heard this? I know if I can't buy an annual pass I will not go to the parks more than once a year. I will also stop collecting Disney. The bright side - I will save a lot of money!
                            I doubt very much that they will end annual passes. It has been rumored that they have considered calling them "memberships" at some point. Maybe that is what is being considered, ie, they wouldn't be AP's anymore, but memberships. That sounds more likely to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post

This is what I was thinking, esp the bolded statement. After a year of being at $87/$125, dropping to ~$80/~$100 would help create the appearance of more value. Couple this with the rise in PAP price, and block-outs for PAP, and eliminating all other tiers will help too. Maybe have two tiers since the perception of "I'm better than you" & "others cannot be better than me" often sells more items (in this case, APs).

Comment

They may as well dump them. They're to expensive now, anyhow. Maybe if it were the Disneyland of a few years back I would get one. But not the Tarzan Treehouse, Finding Nemo, overpriced monstrosity that it has become.

Comment

I live in New Mexico and I plan on purchasing an AP, for three trips to DLR next year. In the long run it saves me over 600 bucks.

Comment

Please, Disneyland, get rid of the payment plan for APs. If you can't afford to pay for a pass up front, you can't afford it. This would take care of over-crowding, for sure.

Comment

I really don't care for annual passes. The holders over use the attractions and shows to the detriment of the vacation visitor. I hold no blame for them wanting to enjoy themselves, but you need capacity controls to ensure everyone gets a chance. If they do away with it, fine, or sell season tickets just like sports. You get so many during the year. This would cut down on the daily visitors that don't spend a dime.

Now if they wanted to discontinue the Silver Pass.....

Comment

Originally posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
                                        HAHAHA If this was true DL would loose so much money with how many APers there are. They make way too much on them. It'd be like them saying, "No please don't give us your money any more."
                                        Around the first of this year I had heard that between the Premium and Deluxe AP holders, there are just over 1,000,000 of us and I doubt that Disney is willing to toss that income out the window. The other passes could may be put on the chopping block without hurting their income BUT the top two AP's? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                                          Also, our rides get more refurbs than the ones at WDW by a longshot and that IS because of the AP community: if Matterhorn is closed for six months, well, we can come back in six months. At WDW if a ride is closed for six months, most visitors will just miss out on it because they aren't coming back.
                                          We don't get more refurbs because of the AP community. There's no truth to that at all.

Disneyland gets more refurbishments because it has more attractions and because the attendance patterns change more than at WDW. The park's capacity is determined based on the number of operating attractions. At Magic Kingdom when a major ride goes down it severely impacts their ability to accommodate guests. A lesser reason is the fact that most visitors are tourists, not locals, who expect to be able to experience the rides. Capacity is the #1 reason.

All of the four theme parks in Florida are light on attractions. Disneyland and California Adventure have an advantage of having plenty, so in the off-season if they close down a few rides there are still plenty to keep guests busy.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 04:01 PM ----------

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                                          ^Instead of raising the price, how else would you limit it?
                                          They should drop the Southern California pass, raise the price on the Southern California Select, drop Select from name, but keep the same blockout dates and eliminate park hopping privileges on that pass. Make that a 1-park pass that you chose which park to visit.

Another idea would be to put some blockout dates on the parking pass upgrade for Deluxe passports. They could make you pay to park on a few of the days when your pass is still valid to reduce demand on the parking, encourage passholders to carpool and make you think about whether you really want to attend since there is a price (cost of parking).

Another idea is to impose entry restrictions. On select days make it so the passholders first entry to the park must be before a certain time for the pass to be valid for the day. This would extend the length of stay and likely increase spending on F&B, plus help to eliminate the late day crunch that crushes operations.

One of the primary goals should be to move people up to the next higher priced pass, eliminate the lowest price tier and maybe thin out the ranks some. The parks could then market to the lost passholders, who are casual, not serious, and very price conscious with locals only promotions during slower periods of the year. In other words offer them a multi-day ticket valid over a period of time for a lesser price, but ultimately this will be a higher price point on a per visit basis. This would encourage visits during slower times and encourage a longer length of stay, which in turn should increase in park spending from these users.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X