• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pushforth
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2012

[Other] Plaza Inn Rejection

So my better half fell in love with the Fried Chicken at the Plaza Inn last week and wanted to make that her last meal @ DL last night.

We walked from Splash Mountain to Plaza Inn. As soon as we got there, a male cast member was grabbing the white rope thingy to close off the entrance. He hadn't closed it yet.

I asked if they were open and he said "No. We are now closed".

There will people in line... people at the tables... I bet if I didn't stop to ask, we could have just walked right in.

This was a big bummer for her. A really big bummer. Not so much the missed meal, but that we were RIGHT THERE! Had it been closed when we got there (visibly closed) it wouldn't have been such a big deal. The fact they closed on us was the problem.

Could he have let us in? Or is there a rule against it?

On another, much happier note, we were chosen as the "guests of the hour" at Clarabelle's Ice Cream Shop in DCA yesterday and we all got free Ice Cream!!!
  • 1Disneylandfan
    RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Oct 2009

Re: Plaza Inn Rejection

Sorry that happened to you. It could've been that they weren't allowing in any more guests. But the existing guests were allowed to finish their meal there and those who were already in line were allowed to do the same. I understand your disappointment but at the same time their has to be a cut off point for everything, otherwise you wouldn't be able to close things down. I'm sure it happens everyday, this time it just so happened to be you that encountered it. Sorry.

Glad you got free ice cream, at least you got a treat
    sigpic

Comment

• Malina
      MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

It's always a bummer to miss out on something you want to do.

As 1Disneylandfan said, though, they have to have a cutoff or they'd be open all night. It could have easily been that the CMs were instructed to stop allowing people in at a certain time, period, no exceptions, the kitchen had already started on the last orders, etc. I know a lot of restaurants will close the kitchen down and stop admitting new customers much earlier than they will kick out the guests at the tables.
      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

• Bronco21
        Insomniac
        • May 2011

At my parents restaurant we close usually at 10:30. However, if anyone shows up within reasonable time we will serve them. This usually creates no problems and we only see one or two people after we are closed. There have been times, however, where people just keep showing up even though technically we closed long before. I have been there past 12:30 because guests kept showing up in quick succession and we eventually had to just lock the doors. Anyways the point to my long and boring story is that if Disney did not cut off the line (like locking the doors at our restaurant), the line would never end. It's sucks when you just barely miss it, but it isn't worth having people in the parks way after closing because they wanted fried chicken.
        Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

• Werner
          • Jul 2005

Like others have noted, the door has to be closed at some point. However, I'm wondering about the CM's delivery of the bad news. "No. We are now closed" sounds rather brusk. Maybe the CM had more empathy in his voice, but I'm guessing he didn't. He probably could have soft-peddled the disappointing statement more, just as The Voice tells us that "Disneyland has now concluded its normal operating day" (or whatever it is that he says that makes it sound almost like a good thing LOL)

Comment

• Poisonedapples
            Sock Puppet
            • Jan 2011

I would not be to unhappy about the Plaza Inn.. like it was mentioned they could of been closed down and the guests already eating were allowed to stay and finish their meals.If it was me, i'd just make a mental note that they closed at X time at night and just try and go their before that time!

Comment

• Princess Victoria
              • Jan 2008

I believe most of the restaurants in the parks close an hour before the parks close.

Comment

• JMazz
                Banned User
                • May 2012

Meh. I do think it was tacky that he did it right as you were going to cross the threshold and if your post is accurate, I think they could have let you in. However, if there was anyone behind you hoping for the same thing, then yes, I would have had to cut the operation at some point if I was running the place.

Comment

• TinkerBellaNJGsMom
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Sep 2012

Hi sorry that happened to you. I'm glad you were guests of honor at Clarabelle's though! That's got to be a memorable experience Not to get religious but maybe you weren't supposed to go there and God just changed your path so you wouldn't miss the ice cream?! It's way better than fried chicken anyways! Maybe you can save the Plaza Inn for another trip someday? Anyways I hope you had a great time at the park anyways. We are looking forward to our first trip as a family in five days!

Comment

• pushforth
                    MiceChatter
                    • Aug 2012

Again... the fact that it was closed wasnt really the issue.. it was that he closed it on us. There was another CM there at the time who gave the guy a funny look when he said it was closed... I'm thinking he had a bad day or something.

I understand that these places have closing times and have to draw a line somewhere... I just don't think that line should be on someone. I can see no reason why in such situations, the guest is allowed in and then the closure happens. Unless of course there is a long line...

Comment

• Poisonedapples
                      Sock Puppet
                      • Jan 2011

it could of been anyone at that time..You *just* happen to be walking up when they were closing. I don't think he closed the line purposely on you.

It's the "at the wrong place at the wrong time" scenario as i see it. But make a mental note next time of the closing time and just try and get in *before* that time!

Comment

• Werner
                        • Jul 2005

I bet that one CM was having a bad day, too. It's too bad he had to take it out on you! I'm sure that Disney's official policy is to not turn people away the way he did.

Comment

• Pirate Lover 68
                          MiceChatter
                          • Mar 2007

If the rope is JUST being put up, and there weren't any people behind them, close AFTER they get in line.

Comment

• GraceLovesGoofy
                            MiceChatter
                            • Feb 2009

ya shoulda slipped him a $20......JUST KIDDING! :yea:
                            [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Comment

• lou_mom
                              Disneymom
                              • Mar 2006

Sorry about the Plaza closing. Their fried schicken is our favorite. It is ususally one of the first meals we have.

Comment

• PascalGal
                                MiceChatter
                                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by pushforth View Post
                                So my better half fell in love with the Fried Chicken at the Plaza Inn last week and wanted to make that her last meal @ DL last night...
                                Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
                                ...But make a mental note next time of the closing time and just try and get in *before* that time!
                                Sorry for the negative experience (and since I wasn't there, I can't know whether the CM was right or wrong), but as others have said, if you know that the fried chicken is a priority, then don't put it off until last. Make sure to schedule it earlier so that you both can enjoy your meal. And the chicken will probably taste better well before closing, too, since it won't be the last pieces sitting in the pan.

Comment

• pushforth
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
                                  If the rope is JUST being put up, and there weren't any people behind them, close AFTER they get in line.
                                  YES! Thank you!

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

Originally posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
                                  ya shoulda slipped him a $20......JUST KIDDING! :yea:
                                  Hahaha! Totally!!!

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

Originally posted by PascalGal View Post
                                  Sorry for the negative experience (and since I wasn't there, I can't know whether the CM was right or wrong), but as others have said, if you know that the fried chicken is a priority, then don't put it off until last. Make sure to schedule it earlier so that you both can enjoy your meal. And the chicken will probably taste better well before closing, too, since it won't be the last pieces sitting in the pan.
                                  Had no idea when it was closing. I figured Disney would do with their diners like they do with their Attractions... open until park is closed. The meal was not a high priority... we weren't going to skip our favorite attractions to make it on time (had we known it closed when it did).

We ended up eating the Chicken-Fried-Chicken at Carnation Cafe (which was open until the park closed)... very good! But not the same

It wasn't a big deal. Just got annoyed at it. Bummed really.

Comment

• PascalGal
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Nov 2011

Agree about the Chicken Fried Chicken at Carnation Cafe. Tasty, can be enough for two with the addition of the baked potato soup, but definitely not the same as the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn. Still, it's nice to know that you have a back-up meal, if needed.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X