This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] "Dress"ed Up At Disneyland

I read this article and thought it was worth sharing. It was a different time, for sure.

Dressed up at Disneyland

by Matt Munoz

During my interview with Rusty Young of Poco, he shared a story about a memorable visit to the "Happiest Place on Earth," where Buck Owens was appearing just prior to the formation of Poco:

"We were in rehearsals in Los Angeles, and Gram Parsons was rehearsing with us, because we thought he might fit into the band at that point.

"Buck Owens was playing at Disneyland. Richie Furay wanted to go, and so did Gram, who also knew Buck. We all met there. This was late '67 to '68, and Gram has just come back from hanging out in London with David Bowie and Keith Richards, so he was in an interesting place. Richie and I were at Disneyland with our wives, and there's this big commotion at the gate. We go down to see what it was about and it was Gram Parsons in a stand-off with this big security lady in uniform.

"At the time, Disneyland had a 'No Gays' policy. If they thought you were gay, they would not let you into Disneyland. Gram was wearing a dress. He had this big long white dress on and had very tasteful sandals on. And you know, he was a pretty guy with long hair. They told him, 'You can't come in, you're gay,' and he'd say, 'I'm not gay,' and they'd say, 'You're wearing a dress, you're gay then.'

"They had this big fight, and somehow Gram got hold of Buck, and Buck sent his road manager to vouch for him and got him in. Gram was with his wife pushing his first daughter in a stroller. The six of us are walking down Main Street in Disneyland, with Gram wearing a dress and pushing a baby buggy.

"The tourists from Iowa were just flabbergasted. We got to the show, Buck did a great show, we went backstage after the show, and everyone was there -- Johnny Cash and few people like that. Everybody started giving Gram a hard time about wearing a dress. Gram says, 'I just got back from Europe, and mark my words, this time next year you're all going to be wearing dresses.'"

"The best part happened when Cash walks over with a completely straight face and says, 'Well, do they make 'em in black?'"

Re: "Dress"ed Up At Disneyland

Awesome story!

Comment

I wonder why he felt the need to do that in the first place? It seems the intent was to cause a stir and make trouble. I can't admire that goal. Any ideas if there was something else behind that?

Comment

Great punch line. I got a good laugh out of that.

Concerning the dress? It was 67 or 68, after all.
        Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
        :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

It might have been more of a kaftan than a "dress." Kaftans were big in those days with the counterculture.

Comment

Wikipedia: Moral turpitude is a legal concept that refers to "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals)
            "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

Comment

Wow its a bit mind blowing that "if you were gay you would not be let into Disneyland". I figured the disney social standard didn't approve, but I had no idea they would turn you away.

We've come a long way, Baby!!!!
              [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Comment

Originally posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
                Wow its a bit mind blowing that "if you were gay you would not be let into Disneyland". I figured the disney social standard didn't approve, but I had no idea they would turn you away.

We've come a long way, Baby!!!!

Sure have! I remember being "removed" from the Videopolos dance floor in the 80's because of dancing with a guy.... and shortly thereafter policy changed... rumored as a result of a law suit from a person (or couple).

DL has definitely come a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
                  I wonder why he felt the need to do that in the first place? It seems the intent was to cause a stir and make trouble. I can't admire that goal. Any ideas if there was something else behind that?
                  You can't EVER admire that goal? In different times and places, sometimes the status quo needs to be caused trouble or at least just a stir. It isn't a stir or trouble for no reason, it's because it raises questions with the status quo. It's not always the best way to go...but I gotta think that now and then, you could see it's value.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                    Sure have! I remember being "removed" from the Videopolos dance floor in the 80's because of dancing with a guy.... and shortly thereafter policy changed... rumored as a result of a law suit from a person (or couple).

DL has definitely come a long way.
                    aahhh the good ol' days lol I remember seeing girls removed from the dance floor at St Mary's friday night sock hop for "dirty dancing". Would pale in comparison to what goes on these days. Dang I'm getting old...... :lol:
                    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Comment

If you hunt around Youtube, there's a clip of Bruce Springsteen telling a story on one of the late night talk shows (I think Jimmy Fallon) about how decades ago, he and a few friends were not let into Disneyland because of the way they were dressed.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X