This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

Do they rely entirely on a visual inspection to see that the seat belts are fastened?

My car flashes a warning sign if I am sitting in the driver's seat and my seat belt is not engaged.

How hard would it be to install a warning flasher on the front of the sled, that flashes if any of the seat belts are not fastened?

And even a tiny transmitter to send that fact to the dispatch system, preventing the sled from being dispatched even if nobody noticed the warning flasher?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
      Do they rely entirely on a visual inspection to see that the seat belts are fastened?

My car flashes a warning sign if I am sitting in the driver's seat and my seat belt is not engaged.

How hard would it be to install a warning flasher on the front of the sled, that flashes if any of the seat belts are not fastened?

And even a tiny transmitter to send that fact to the dispatch system, preventing the sled from being dispatched even if nobody noticed the warning flasher?
      I hope they do have something like this...and like redbaron said, I'd really be interested in hearing from a Matterhorn CM on what the flashlight CM's responsibilities were.

---------- Post added 10-07-2012 at 03:52 PM ----------

Originally posted by MactheMan View Post
      To be honest, due to the bobsled car's design, you'd still be fine without your safety belt.
      It does look more closed in than the last sled, but I wouldn't chance it. Especially considering it's one of the few rides where someone has died as a result of an unbuckled restraint.

Dolly's Dip: The Matterhorn Bobsleds - Discovering The Magic Kingdom
      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by redberon View Post
        Curious to know if anyone's thought of, or actually understands the responsibilities of a CM working Matterhorn's station?
        The big question is if Disney's CM's understand it. It's a safe bet that their less than professional behavior described in this case isn't part of the Disney University training.

Then again, maybe it is.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Disney should never make anyone ever feel uncomfortable and unsafe before the ride starts, especially on a roller coaster type ride. Cast members who've let this slide till the last second should be reprimanded and transferred to a slow-moving ride.
          Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

they do not rely on visual inspection. The inspection simply confirms what the lights on the vehicle tell them about the seat belts. It's the same system that prevents you from undoing the seat belt during the ride. THE VEHICLE CANNOT BE DISPATCHED UNLESS ALL BELTS HAVE BEEN BUCKLED. The sensor system prevents that...
            WELCOME ABOARD
            THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

if anything was done wrong it was that the cast member could have showed a little more interest and at least explain to you that you weren't in any danger. As said before the Bobsled cannot dispatch with out all the restraints securely locked in place. When you look at the bobsled you may notice a row of lights behind seat 3 and seat 6. There are three green lights, each representing a seat in the bobsled. when the seat belt is locked and in place the corresponding light will light up solid. At the last check point the CM will look at these lights to confirm that each seatbelt is locked in. If every light is lit the CM can dispatch the bobsled. If one light isn't lit then the CM should check the corresponding seat and assist with the guest. If the CM member fails to see the unlit light and tries to dispatch anyway the console will beep very loudly to let the CM know to check again and the bobsled WILL NOT MOVE. So there was no danger. The CM may not have reacted right away because they knew this. You didn't. The best they could have done is try to explain quickly that everything is alright in the short time they have with you at each check point.
              Last edited by Gonzotigger; 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM.
              "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                Cast members who've let this slide till the last second should be reprimanded and transferred to a slow-moving ride.
                The unemployment office would be a great place to transfer them to. If they are ignoring a guests concerns about safety, they are not fulfilling one of their primary job duties.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Every coaster at DL moves through the station regardless if you are buckled or not. Its to keep the flow going and prevent backups since the station can't fit every train that is racing down the track. So what you experienced wasn't really out of the ordinary. They wait for the last check because thats where a CM is who can give you full attention on your belts. I myself have waited for the last check to buckle a few times due to geting myself adjusted. And a train will never leave the station without everyone buckled.

The only sad thing is that the CM didn't try to reassure you that everything was part of standard procedures. But then again, coasters at DL are a game of getting sleds out as quickly and safely as possible so I could imagine those CMs don't have much time to spare with the the fast paced multitasking they have to do.
                  In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                    Disney should never make anyone ever feel uncomfortable and unsafe before the ride starts, especially on a roller coaster type ride. Cast members who've let this slide till the last second should be reprimanded and transferred to a slow-moving ride.
                    Matterhorn is a slow moving ride.

Anyway I am also having trouble seeing a problem. The ride didn't start, you got the belt on before it did. I think what happened is when you couldn't get it out you started to panic and as the sled moved closer you pulled the belt harder which just locked it, and it didn't release. Same thing happens when you tug on a car seatbelt really hard, it locks. But as others have said the CM's knew you weren't in any danger and didn't think the ride needed to be stopped. They knew it would be fine so they aloud the sled to continue until the last point. They wouldn't have dispatched the car if your belt wasn't fastened.
                    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                      It may be slower than Big Thunder and Space Mountain, but it's bouncy and rough.
                      Fear of the unknown.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
                        Every coaster at DL moves through the station regardless if you are buckled or not. Its to keep the flow going and prevent backups since the station can't fit every train that is racing down the track. So what you experienced wasn't really out of the ordinary. They wait for the last check because thats where a CM is who can give you full attention on your belts. I myself have waited for the last check to buckle a few times due to geting myself adjusted. And a train will never leave the station without everyone buckled.

The only sad thing is that the CM didn't try to reassure you that everything was part of standard procedures. But then again, coasters at DL are a game of getting sleds out as quickly and safely as possible so I could imagine those CMs don't have much time to spare with the the fast paced multitasking they have to do.
                        this is pretty much what i was going to say. as most of us are not cast members and don't know standard protocol when we ride these rides, it can be rather distressing being passed through what we see as seat-belt check points, when really they are checking for something else. therefore, it's hard to say whether or not they did anything wrong.

however, if it was obvious that you were scared and both you and your friend were calling out to them, then shame on them for not trying to calm you in some way.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post

Anyway I am also having trouble seeing a problem. The ride didn't start, you got the belt on before it did.
                          That isn't the point. The point is that there were a couple of riders who perceived an issue with a seatbelt on one of the ride vehicles and the workers weren't competent enough to put their concerns to rest. What if that perception led to a full blown panic attack? A hysterical, panicking person is unpredictable and go to any extreme depending on how deep the concern for their safety is. This rider could have tried to climb out of the vehicle rather than be sent off without a seatbelt. I don't know if it was lack of training or the worker not doing their job or a combination of both, but something is definitely wrong with this picture.
                          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Under the new system the car will not leave the final brake station without all belts being locked. You were in no danger. They move the cars continue moving along to that final brake station to give the guest time to figure out the belt without stalling boarding before dispatch. It is efficient and not dangerous.

It takes both the CM hitting a release button and the system detecting all belts locked to be dispatched.

Could this have been scary? Yes. But you were fine. This was not Disney's error. The system appears to have worked perfectly.
                            Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

A cast member would NEVER send a bobsled in without all passengers having their seatbelt on. NEVER. The cast member there at the bottom before the cave is called the belts cast member with the specific job of making sure seatbelts are all on before dispatching the sled. The cast member in the tower also double checks and will stop the sled from going in if they notice a seat belt even LOOKING like it's not correctly fastened.

While yes, the cast member could have said something, know that they've got you covered.
                              For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                                That isn't the point. The point is that there were a couple of riders who perceived an issue with a seatbelt on one of the ride vehicles and the workers weren't competent enough to put their concerns to rest. What if that perception led to a full blown panic attack? A hysterical, panicking person is unpredictable and go to any extreme depending on how deep the concern for their safety is. This rider could have tried to climb out of the vehicle rather than be sent off without a seatbelt.
                                Exactly right. This happened to an adult. What if it had been a child? A kid on their first time riding the Matterhorn, and anxious about it to start with?

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                                I don't know if it was lack of training or the worker not doing their job or a combination of both, but something is definitely wrong with this picture.
                                Bingo.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

It ain't Walt's Disneyland any more... ...it's still Eisner's Disneyland, even though he's gone too.

Somewhere in the employee training manuals it says, "Your job is to create happiness." Or at least it did at one time...

One time a long time ago I was worried that the hand stamp would rub off if I washed my hands. A very courteous CM at the Monorail station at the hotel reassured me it was waterproof.

I would assume that addressing a guest's concerns would be a priority...

Slightly off-topic, but still on the topic of Matterhorn safety: what if something lands on the track somewhere? A hat or whatever is sitting on the track. How do they know something is there? Does the ride shut down? And how do they retrieve the object?

Comment

I understand venting to a message board, that's what it's here for obviously, but it would have been much more effective (and maybe saved future guests from panic) to have talked to someone, even without knowing their names. Hindsight is 20/20 though!

I'm glad it all ended well, though.

Comment

delete
                                      Fear of the unknown.

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but still on the topic of Matterhorn safety: what if something lands on the track somewhere? A hat or whatever is sitting on the track. How do they know something is there? Does the ride shut down? And how do they retrieve the object?
                                        They ask the guests with the malfunctioning seatbelts if they would mind getting out of the car during the ride to retrieve the object.

Comment

There are 2 sides to this. First, I empathize with the OP's situation. I always got nervous with the old Matterhorn seatbelts! They could be twisted, too long, too short, too something and I would feel like an idiot if I couldn't figure it out fast enough.

Second, I sympathize with the CMs. My guess is that the OP was one of many people struggling with belts that the CMs see over and over every shift. The CMs probably are frustrated by a poor design on an antiquated attraction that can't readily accept modern safety standards, know the guests aren't in danger, and so they ignore it and - importantly - keep the ride moving while guests figure it out. That said, CMs should be trained to address the situation with a simple message of "It's okay, you have time to buckle up."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X