This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] The location of the Grand Californian

Why did they build it in that location? They took up precious real estate that could have been used in the future to expand DCA. Another person brought up a point that it should have been built where Paradise Pier is. So much space back there..

Re: The location of the Grand Californian

It is a big waste of space. It also contributes to the awkward and lopsided feel you get navigating DCA. I guess to them it was worth it to be able to capitalize on charging a premium for being able to "stay in the park."
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

Poor planning all around since few involved in the building of DCA back in the turn of the century expected that DCA would require much much more expansion and land. However the Grand Californian would've worked in its current location had it been laid out properly with the right amount of execution. Look how Tokyo DisneySea's Hotel Miracosta is cleverly built into TDS. Another example is the Disneyland Paris hotel that resides as the gateway into DLP. Either one of these layout would've benefited GCH alot better given the limited land space.

Comment

I believe the Grand Californian has the highest occupancy rate of any of the 3 Disney Hotels. It rakes in high dollars for Disney. That's all that matters.
        Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

I'm fine with it. The theme blends alright with the GRR area.
          I think the Paradise Pier Hotel is more of an eyesore.
          With kind regards,
          The Tony

Comment

I agree the placement is horrible. I don't mind that it's so close to the park but it made th elayout of DCA so awkward. Seems like if they thought about it more they could have done a lot better placement.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
              Why did they build it in that location? They took up precious real estate that could have been used in the future to expand DCA. Another person brought up a point that it should have been built where Paradise Pier is. So much space back there..
              A stated goal of the building of GCH was to provide a place for people to stay "inside" a theme park. The success of the Hotel has certainly proven that goal to be a worthy one.

As far as the hope by the OP that expansion space could have been provided, I don't see how that would have been possible. The expansion that took place at the turn of the millenium required the conversion of money-making enterprises (chiefly the parking lot and peripheral Disneyland Hotel businesses) into different money-making enterprises (DCA, DtD, GCH). It would have been too "expensive" to leave "space" around DCA for "future" expansion.
              "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
              - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
                A stated goal of the building of GCH was to provide a place for people to stay "inside" a theme park. The success of the Hotel has certainly proven that goal to be a worthy one.
                I like staying "inside" the park, so the GCH makes me visit DLR more often.
                The location creates an uninterrupted vacation from check-in to check-out, and completely forget about the "real world" outside the resort.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post

wait what? no there is not ..umm behind PPH is DLH and next to that is some other building i can't name right now..but there is not enough room, i think the location GCH is now is perfect. i don't think it would of fit in any better anywhere else

Comment

I always thought they should have enveloped/hidden the Idiana Jones building with the backside of the hotel, entrance facing the original DLH entrance area, creating a monorail stop for both.
                    sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                    - - Walt Disney

Comment

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the diagram that's out there showing the Disneyland Resort expansion if Westcot had been built. That diagram shows Westcot with its own version of Spaceship Earth, along with several hotels, the Disneyland Bowl, a Downtown Disney shopping type area, and expanded monorail system. I think Westcot was also supposed have its own hotel incorporated similar to how Tokyo Disney Sea has the Hotel Mira Costa incorporated into it. One nice thing about the GCH's placement is the location with the monorail going through the courtyard. It definitely makes a case about how monorails can quietly pass through even a hotel where people rest and relax. The hotel also makes a nice backdrop in the Grizzly Peak area.

Comment

Although advertised that way, I never thought of Grand Californian as being IN the theme park. It was a great location, however. The biggest problem I had with it was the expansion for the Vacation Club villas, since that really, imho, took some prime real estate that could have been used for impressive expansion.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                          I never thought of Grand Californian as being IN the theme park.
                          Close enough:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	grand_villa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	7344968

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                          The biggest problem I had with it was the expansion for the Vacation Club villas, since that really, imho, took some prime real estate that could have been used for impressive expansion.
                          The Villas at the Grand Californian is an impressive expansion.

Comment

I love the location of the Grand. I've never stayed there though as it's costs a pretty penny, but maybe one day!
                            Jeff Wayne

Comment

It was built (in part) as part of their vacation club and to sell it easier it needed to be close to at least one of the two parks. The paradise pier area was a little too far out for that I think. It's location is pretty good. Middle of DTD, with direct access to DCA and close access to a monorail station. I doubt the considered "but we could put more DCA here" as part of the design plan when mapping it out, and honestly I don't think that should have been a consideration.

Comment

I love the Grand Californian it's a work of art I think it's in a great spot but I do believe they should have made it taller then spread out in a bunch of hallways.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael808702 View Post
                                  I love the Grand Californian it's a work of art I think it's in a great spot but I do believe they should have made it taller then spread out in a bunch of hallways.
                                  I don't know about that. It's height already impedes a bit on the skyline of the resort, especially in DCA. If you are enjoying the theming of the pier area, it gets hard to do so when facing that side and seeing the GC siting there. Making it taller would only worsen that situation I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                                    ...It's height already impedes a bit on the skyline of the resort, especially in DCA. If you are enjoying the theming of the pier area, it gets hard to do so when facing that side and seeing the GC siting there. Making it taller would only worsen that situation I think.
                                    The low height is not the most efficient use of space and does create longer walks, but overall the hotel blends in well with DTD and the Redwood Creek area of the park -- which makes sense, those areas were all designed and build as one project.

The DVC expansion kept the same design as the original hotel, and does clash with the Paradise Pier area. That side of the hotel could easily have been given a "Seaside Resort" facade, but might not have been a priority considering DCA attendance several years ago.

Comment

I love the GCH. It actually fits into areas of GCH well.

The only things I'd hate about it's location is that it seems to have taken up room if Grizzly Peak ever wanted to expand.

But honestly, focusing on now and even the next few years I doubt Grizzly needs to expand and what we have now if awesome.

Comment

i love! where the grand is

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X