Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderly Disneyland CM hit by Space Mountain Rocket (Merged)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Elderly Disneyland CM hit by Space Mountain Rocket (Merged)

I didn't see this posted, so I will add.

Disney worker critically injured in Space Mountain | vehicle, ride, ortiz - Entertainment - The Orange County Register

Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

re: Elderly Disneyland CM hit by Space Mountain Rocket (Merged)

Thoughts and prayers going out to his family. Hopefully he can get a nice chunk of money from Disney, and have a happy retirement.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

That's odd, I wonder what happened. Thanks for sharing.
      Originally posted by Chesire View Post
      Thoughts and prayers going out to his family. Hopefully he can get a nice chunk of money from Disney, and have a happy retirement.
      Unless the injury was due to his own negligence. It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

I was THERE that day

Comment

I heard about this on KNX earlier this morning and wondered why there was nothing about it here. Well, best of luck to him. I hope he recovers properly.

Comment

No good, no good

I hope that he recovers quickly.

Ta Da!

Comment

Oh no, that's awful. i hope he makes a quick, and full recovery

Comment

It seems to have happened after the park closed for the day. I hope the guy will recover.

Comment

Looks like the Times has picked up on this as well.

State probes critical injury of Disney worker at Space Mountain - latimes.com

What is interesting is that the article is reporting that the ride was not malfunctioning. I wonder if he was in a place he wasn't supposed to be or if there was some type of hidden malfunction.
                  "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                    Looks like the Times has picked up on this as well.

State probes critical injury of Disney worker at Space Mountain - latimes.com

What is interesting is that the article is reporting that the ride was not malfunctioning. I wonder if he was in a place he wasn't supposed to be or if there was some type of hidden malfunction.
                    Even if that's the case I hope he's okay. Being in the wrong plang doesn't make it any less tragic. However, you're right. it is odd that the ride was cleared.

Comment

The first article said he was bringing back a rocket that had been out of service. I'm wondering if there was a communication breakdown of some sort. It was after the park closed so they might have been doing all sorts of maintenance on the ride. If there was some other maintenance happening, and he wasn't aware the tracks were in use--or if the other worker(s) weren't aware he was on the tracks and bringing back the rocket--it could have gotten dangerous very quickly. Computers aren't foolproof so it's possible he or his colleagues had some sort of misinformation or erroneous "all clear" that led to the accident. I'm sure we will eventually find out.

Whatever the case, that's a horrible thing to have happen. Best wishes to him for recovery.

Comment

Why does it have to be "get a nice chunk of money from Disney"? With all due respect, I think it's a real problem that we tend to go right to getting a big payoff. True, this happened on the job, so his medical should be payed for him, as well as all other benefits he's entitled to based on workmans comp. but how do we know he's entitled to anything else? Sometimes things just happen, and its nobody's fault. If Disney was negligent in some way, then he could be entitled to something, but right away people tend to go there instead of waiting to see what the investigation reveals.

and yes, most important is he should make a quick and full recovery. I agree completely with that statement.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

He will get exactly what the Workman's Comp plan awards him.

I hope he recovers well.
                          If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Disneyland worker critically hurt in Space Mountain accident

The Oct. 3 accident occurred as the machinist was testing a vehicle on the popular high-speed ride, said Patricia Ortiz, a California Division of Occupational Safety and Health spokeswoman.
                            "Preliminary information that we heard was that he was struck by the vehicle ... how [is] still being determined," Ortiz said.
                            The Disney worker suffered critical back, chest and head injuries and was taken to UC Irvine Medical Center, authorities said.
                            Link

The 68-year-old employee was injured Oct. 3 after the park closed. The machinist was returning a vehicle that had been out of commission back onto the ride when something went awry and the vehicle hit him. The impact caused back, chest and head injuries, said Patricia Ortiz, a spokesman for the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, also known as Cal-OSHA.
                            Link

Comment

Re: Disneyland worker critically hurt in Space Mountain accident

There's already thread on this.

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...in-rocket.html

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                True, this happened on the job, so his medical should be payed for him, as well as all other benefits he's entitled to based on workmans comp.
                                Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                                He will get exactly what the Workman's Comp plan awards him.
                                This is true, regardless of whether or not it was his fault or not. At least if it was something he did wrong, his injuries will still be taken care of. That's the beauty of workers' compensation. It is a no fault system.

However, there are remedies available outside of the workers' comp system should the facts warrant it.

Before our thoughts turn to legal recovery, though, we should just wish this guy a speedy medical recovery.

Comment

Ugh....the degradation of America is in full effect.....
                                  Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

Comment

Originally posted by blondiethesounds View Post
                                    Right there with ya. Why do we knee-jerk for the payoff?

Comment

Originally posted by blondiethesounds View Post
                                      Yep.
                                      DisneyTwins
                                      Since May 2003

Comment

Re: Elderly Disneyland CM hit by Space Mountain Rocket (Merged)

I hope he has a speedy recovery. As someone who goes to Disneyland a lot, you start to notice familiar cast members and maintenace workers you see over and over again. They are all part of the Disney Magic and I'm sure this worker would rather be back at his job then in a hospital bed. I don't think the comments about getting a "big payday" etc., are really what this worker needs right now.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X