X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Where Does It All Go?!

Hi all.

I've only been a big Disney fan the past 2 years, so I don't have a lot of answers.

I wanted to know where do some of the things they get rid of in the park end up? For example, the Viewliner train. What did they do with it? I know a lot of things were reused, like the America Sings animatronics. But what about the rest of the things?

Re: Where Does It All Go?!

Ideaistically in a big Indian Jones style warehouse, just waiting to be discovered.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Some of it is given way, some of it's stored, some of it is reused, some of it ends up in the archives, and the rest is thrown away.
      DisneyTwins
      Since May 2003

Comment

I know, but I'd like to know what happened to each thing. Hopefully with pictures. For example, I'd like to know what happened to the Heart Beating Bride figure, or the old character costumes.

Comment

I had read somewhere (maybe on these boards!) that a whole lot of "Atomobiles" ended up just being dumped in a landfill -- in Mexico, if I remember correctly. I'd love to know more of that story! And I wish they'd asked me to take one of them off their hands!

Comment

Originally posted by Werner View Post
            I had read somewhere (maybe on these boards!) that a whole lot of "Atomobiles" ended up just being dumped in a landfill -- in Mexico, if I remember correctly. I'd love to know more of that story! And I wish they'd asked me to take one of them off their hands!
            Yes that is true
            i asked Bob Gurr about the Veiwliner and said it was going to go in Griffith Park bit fell thought
            they were sc
            Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

I worked in America On Parade as a performer. After the parade completed its run in 1976, we had a "farewell" party (somewhat sponsored by Disney, so this was a sanctioned event by the company). During that party they gave all of us some momento of the roles we played. I recieved half of the one of the sleeves from the Aviator Bomber Jacket and one drum stick from the Fife and Drum Corps unit (both were from some of the roles I played during the course of that parade). Other parade CM's recieved similar "destroyed" items.

To me, it's pretty clear that most all of the AOP costumes and floats were destroyed. Sadly, I imagine that happens quite a lot across the parks.

Here is my Drumstick...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-12 03.54.04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	7345045

Photo from the parade. You can see one of the drumsticks and the matching ribbon on the hat...

Name:	AmericaonParade02.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	7345046

Unfortunately, I can't locate my Bomber Jacket sleeve at the moment. But here is where it came from...

Name:	2012-10-12 03.54.50.jpg
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	7345047

Comment

very cool LoonAZ!
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by PianoGhost View Post
                  I know, but I'd like to know what happened to each thing. Hopefully with pictures. For example, I'd like to know what happened to the Heart Beating Bride figure, or the old character costumes.
                  There is just no possible way of seeing a photo of each thing, or even knowing what happened to each thing once it was no longer used in the park. Sometimes things show up on eBay, sometimes they get dumped in a landfill. In events like the old Mine Train that used to be along the side of the RoA, that was removed for restoration and preservation a while ago. I also know there is a Midget Autopia car on the current Autopia attraction as well. So sometimes things are even re-used in the park, too.

Comment

Very neat bit of information LoonAZ!

Ta Da!

Comment

I know a lot of things are reused. I'm even pretty I read that one of the Rocket Jets is now used as a shelf in one of the stores. What about the monorails? Are they upgraded into the new ones or trashed?
                      Last edited by PianoGhost; 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I know a lot of things are reused. I'm even pretty I read that one of the Rocket Jets is now used as a shelf in one of the stores. What about the monorails? Are they upgraded into the new ones or trashed?
                        Yeah that's right, 2 of the old Rocket Jets are used as shelving units in the Store Command area next to BLAB. They have a Buzz Lightyear paint scheme to them now as well, too.

Name:	Buzzstorerkt_zpsc0e6fe2e.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	7345049

Comment

The Mark I's and Mark II's were "discarded" when they were replaced. I put discard in quotes because pieces of those trains have resurfaced here and there. The Mark III's chassis were reused for the Mark V and now the Mark VII. Of course, there is the issue of the one missing monorail from the Mark V's fleet of 4, but I believe it is still at WDI.
                          WELCOME ABOARD
                          THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

Originally posted by Meville View Post
                            Idealistically in a big Indian Jones style warehouse, just waiting to be discovered.
                            Funnily enough, there is an actual archive/warehouse for Disney articles like costumes, props, original prints, etc. I don't know about larger items from theme parks but vehicles and facade parts are usually re-purposed, sold or sadly destroyed.

Comment

A fair amount of the stuff is auctioned these days, I guess a publicly held company has a responsibility to maintain the bottom line from every angle.

Richard Kraft, of course, has a lot of the good stuff. Like a Dumbo and props from the submarine voyage, and one of the miniature atommobiles. He even has one of the keel boats, and a while ago on Miceage he asked folks here what he should do with it!

Yesterland: Interview with Richard Kraft about his movie, Finding Kraftland

And of course Mouse Surplus sells stuff

A Visit to Mouse Surplus, - : Disney World, Disneyland and More

MouseSurplus to be featured on Hit A&E Series

And you can go on Ebay and buy stuff like castmember costumes.

Comment

To Disney, companies like MouseSurplus actually save Disney quite a bit of money. Disney has to pay companies to come in and haul stuff away. This probably happens afterwards, but they basically tell MousSurplus to go in and remove anything they desire. It's free for Disney and gains profit for MouseSurplus.
                                DisneyTwins
                                Since May 2003

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X