X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We Get Another Year of Aladdin

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    A rollercoaster and a stage show is hardly an apples to apples comparison. Comparing it to Captain Eo or Honey I Shrunk the Audience would be more accurate.
    Comparing a wildly popular stage show with outdated 3D films that banked on a gimmick that was new in its time isn't apples to apples either. The argument for removing something just because it's old doesn't make sense in any context.

Comment

For AP's I'm sure its tiring, but for the guests that come to the parks maybe once every year or every three years, I'm sure it still has its wow factor.
      Jeff Wayne

Comment

wasn't it the original concept for the theater to have a new show every 2-3 years?

is there space available to store stage sets so they could have maybe two or three shows and rotate them every few years?

Comment

its gotten stale for me now.

Comment

It's been a while since I've seen that show but I still remember the first time I saw it. I laughed so hard.

This reminds me I should go catch it again. However, if they did replace it with something new I wouldn't complain. It may have run its course but is great nonetheless.

Ta Da!

Comment

I never cared for the show so any replacement won't bother me, but I rarely go to shows (I've only seen Aladdin once).
              Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

I think they should bring Finding Nemo the musical to DCA. I saw it at Disney's Animal Kingdom and it was great. It ties into the whole Pixar theme that DCA has going. It's already an existing show.... So not much work has to go into it.
                Mandy

Comment

Do you actually know if it's still going to be running? I'm headed to Disneyland next month and the show isn't on the schedule all month. I'm pretty bummed because we intended on seeing it the past 3 years and just forgot or went to the park when it wasn't playing. I'm going to be even more bummed if they're taking it away for the holidays this year.

Comment

Has anyone stopped to consider that perhaps the reason for the extended play of the show would be to coincide with the potential of the phase 2 expansion of the entire Hollywoodland area?

Comment

Originally posted by John Keola Lessary View Post
                      Do you actually know if it's still going to be running? I'm headed to Disneyland next month and the show isn't on the schedule all month. I'm pretty bummed because we intended on seeing it the past 3 years and just forgot or went to the park when it wasn't playing. I'm going to be even more bummed if they're taking it away for the holidays this year.
                      Hmmm... maybe they just updated the schedule? I just checked and there are at least 4 shows per day on weekdays and weekends.

I disagree that they should get rid of this show. You can't compare this to a 3D show as this is all live actors with some improv. Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it should go away. The theater is quite full every time I've seen it regardless of the day or season. Not all guests at DLR are AP's and may visit the park once a decade. I don't care for World of Color, but in no way do I think it should go away. It's not like it's a Stitch's Great Escape or Rocket Rods where it's boring or breaking all the time. It's not a broken show. That's like saying that Fantasmic! is broken because Floatsam and Jetsam are gone. Sure, the carpet ride is iconic and is huge for this show, but the show is still great. Yes, it's awkward when the cloud effects overwhelm the stage, but it's not like the show is ruined without the flying carpet. Total over-reaction.

And on another note, I love Pixar films more than I love Disney films, but I don't think that adding Nemo would be a good thing for DLR. There already is a scarcity of the Disney Renaissance films represented in DLR.

Comment

I think it's great that a full scale musical designed for a theme park is playing at DCA. However, the one (and only) time I saw "Aladdin" back in 2007 I was underwhelmed. The cast seemed bored and it was if they were just going through their paces in stage direction and choreography from Point "A" to Point "B." Even "Friend Like Me," which should have been stellar, was weak.

Still, the Hyperion is a very nice theater and I hope that in the future a much more interesting and entertaining new show takes the place of "Aladdin." I don't recommend it to people when I go to DCA and am asked about it.

Comment

Yup. They updated yesterday. Looks like we will see it now!

Comment

Here is the thing...they just added a New land (Carsland) and a replacement land and a New E ticket....I am also sure they will be getting the Electrical Parade Back and a new show in Fantasyland this next summer

What is the motivation to replace Aladdin, when it still fills seats, is a good show, and they have two shows coming next year to the parks?
                            Plus WOC will be getting updated.....I think that's enough for me next summer entertainment wise, I could go for a new ride but I don't need another new show in 2013
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I've seen it twice. That was two times too many.

They should bring Blast back until they figure out what else they can put there. Hasn't it been like 8 years or something already?

Comment

Originally posted by wettham1783 View Post
                                Anyone else remember the uproar when they talked of replacing it with a Toy Story show?
                                Yeah. There was (is?) a Toy Story show on Disney's cruises that some felt was inferior to DCA's "Aladdin" show, and some feared that that would move in.

So how about Lion King, Jungle Book, or Peter Pan for three years; then Mary Poppins?
                                (Or Mary Poppins in 2020.) Forty-minute versions. The Lion King came out so long ago that it might be allowed to compete with road companies by also running (abridged) in DCA.

And how about "The Book of Mormon" unabridged at 9pm on weekends and throughout the summer? Kidding! I wish. Sort of.
                                Nah, bad fit.

Ya think?
                                Who still writes, "Ya think?"
                                Those who still write, "Let me get this straight," "This ^," "Really? Really? Really?," and "Wow. Just wow."

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no abridged versions of existing musicals. It's not like Disney is incapable of piecing together new works or even deriving new works from existing movies. Screen to stage. Not screen to stage to stage.

Comment

Then "John Carter: the Musical!":yea:

Comment

Wonderful show, but really overdue for a replacement. Shows don't have the same repeatability as attractions do.

Having said that, be thankful Aladdin stayed around rather than be replaced by the dreadful Toy Story Musical.
                                      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I'm guessing Team Disney Anaheim has the opinion that "If it isn't broken, then why fix it?" - & judging by the continuous long queue lines through Hollywood Backlot to see ALADDIN, it's not going to be replaced until the lines start to diminish (I wouldn't mind seeing a new show rotated every 3 years, or a different show on different days throughout the week) ...

How Eisner to avoid fixing the flying carpet (Eisner = anything that is left broken and or run down without bother to repair it- "the Aladdin section of Adventureland is so Eisner that it is an empty show building" (rolls eyes) ...

C J
                                        sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Watched it a couple weeks ago after having not seen it in about a year.

-Genie worst of any I've seen
                                          -Jasmine best of any I've seen
                                          -Absence of carpet left a HUGE HOLE in show - if anyone new in the audience did not realize, they are idiots
                                          -Comedic and other stage timing of this show is HORRIBLE and always has been. Gimmicks like the fake genie rising out of the lamp and the dual-Aladdin guys are so corny it's pathetic.

Oh, and the climb to the mezzanine screamed Six Flags.
                                          Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X