Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

DCA Frankenweenie Preview Fail

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] DCA Frankenweenie Preview Fail

Frankenweenie had the #5 spot Box office for last weeks opening weekend. Wow. The DCA preview must have discouraged people to watch this movie.
    Isn't the whole point of the preview center and display to make people want to watch the movie? well, it did the complete opposite. Same with the Tron preview.

Note: The reason I didn't want to watch this movie is cus it's in black and white. Plus I already seen the short original (the reason why he got fired) You would think Disney would learn the first time.
    No..... -__-
    18.75%
    YES! Those displays are so amazing and the preview. wow!
    81.25%

Re: DCA Frankenweenie Preview Fail

In all fairness, not everyone has seen the DCA preview, and truthfully it doesn't make much sense in regards to how a simple preview would discourage people from seeing the movie it promotes. Do you really think that the whole of America went through the DCA preview and went "Wow. This really sucks. I'm far too discouraged to see the movie." Yes, the film is thus far a box office bust (unfortunately), but I find it hard to believe that a simple preview in a theme park discouraged the entire world from seeing a movie. That's crazy talk.

It's truly sad that this movie is a bomb (so far). In my own eyes, it is a masterpiece in animation. As a lifelong fan of the Frankenstein lore, this movie is a perfect tribute to the films and novel, all in addition to other horror classics such as Dracula and even Gamera. Everything about it is a loving tribute to an era gone by when monster movies didn't need blood and loud noises to be scary. This is a throwback to German Expressionism, the haunting use of black and white, and the creepiness of undead creatures in a typical 1950's suburbia (although the movie does make reference to Pluto no longer being a planet). You even see footage of Christopher Lee as Dracula in one of the classic Hammer films. You can't beat that. Frankenweenie is just fun. If you want a family-friendly horror film this October, go on down to the theater and see it, whether it's in 3D or 2D. It doesn't matter with this one.

You should really give this film a chance. Ignore the fact that it's in black and white. This film is nothing like the original (save for a few scenes and the main characters). Disney didn't have to learn. Despite the fact that Tim Burton was fired for making the original, the short was attached to a Touchstone film or two as a "preshow," similar to how Pixar uses shorts before their own films. With the success of Burton's movies in subsequent years (Beetlejuice and Batman in particular), the short was released on VHS using Burton's name as a "weenie." They learned their lesson. Don't fire a genius.
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Originally posted by DannyLand View Post
      Frankenweenie had the #5 spot Box office for last weeks opening weekend. Wow. The DCA preview must have discouraged people to watch this movie.
      Isn't the whole point of the preview center and display to make people want to watch the movie? well, it did the complete opposite. Same with the Tron preview.

Note: The reason I didn't want to watch this movie is cus it's in black and white. Plus I already seen the short original (the reason why he got fired) You would think Disney would learn the first time.
      The California Adventure preview would not be scene by many people. Its more like a promotional event to just promote the movie locally, There is no way a small preview in California adventure for only 2 weeks before the movie came out would even put a million dollar dent in the total grossing as there are millions upon millions of people who cannot see this preview. Secondly I think it came down to timing, It was up against a bunch of different movies, Pitch Perfect, Taken 2, Hotel Transylvania. Although these may not be all kids movies, the parents are the ones decide if there taken there kids to the movies or not or if its just going to be them. I can honestly say though after seeing the preview it made me want to go see the movie.

As for the movie, It bought it was great, it did take a few mins to get adjusted to the black and white but it did not distract me. I though it was a great movie, there was not a dry eye in the audience for the ending.

This is the type of movie thats goign to make allot of money over the coming weeks until halloween. They will most likely not release it on DVD and Bluray until next September/october, which I am sure will make up for any losses.

So I dont think it was much of a flop and I love seeing the work in the Animation building, great stuff.

I hope they do the same for Wreck And Ralph
      Check Out my Instagram - http://instagram.com/bradinsocal

Comment

Not really a fair poll question. That being said, Burton made a movie that has limited audience appeal for a number of reasons no matter how well crafted the movie actually is.
        Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

Note: The reason I didn't want to watch this movie is cus it's in black and white.
          Are you kidding me?!
          www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Comment

Actually Black and White made the 3D pop even more. It was the best 3D i've ever seen. But no, you cannot solely blame Frankenweenie's failure on the DCA preview which only hosts a fraction of a percent of the amount of people that actually go to the movies.

Comment

^And i think thats why most people wont want to see it. Most people cant get past the fact that the movie is black and white and looks "old" even though it may be a good movie. Honestly i think it was a bad move to make it monochrome knowing our society dislikes black and white.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

Originally posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
                In all fairness, not everyone has seen the DCA preview, and truthfully it doesn't make much sense in regards to how a simple preview would discourage people from seeing the movie it promotes. Do you really think that the whole of America went through the DCA preview and went "Wow. This really sucks. I'm far too discouraged to see the movie." Yes, the film is thus far a box office bust (unfortunately), but I find it hard to believe that a simple preview in a theme park discouraged the entire world from seeing a movie. That's crazy talk.
                Exactly. I bet most of the people going to the park didn't even take the time to visit the preview for the movie. I know I didn't, but then again I made up my mind that the movie was going to suck from the trailer. Maybe I'll catch some of it on cable while my kids are watching it, but if I don't life will still go on.

The reason I didn't want to watch this movie is cus it's in black and white.
                Ya why give a black and white movie a chance. Movies like the original Frankenstein, King Kong, Schindler's List, and even Young Frankenstein all sucked merely for the fact that they were in black and white. Let's go back and colorize everything.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

A bit of an odd idea...but perhaps if they billed the title as "From the Creator of The Nightmare Before Christmas," it would have done a bit better. Coraline's success definitely owed thanks to billing it with "From the Director of The Nightmare Before Christmas." Although this drew many to believe Coraline was a Tim Burton movie - it worked.

Ya why give a black and white movie a chance. Movies like the original Frankenstein, King Kong, Schindler's List, and even Young Frankenstein all sucked merely for the fact that they were in black and white. Let's go back and colorize everything.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic...the films you listed are some of the greatest movies ever made, and those're just in the genres of science fiction, horror, fantasy, comedy, and biopic. If you're not being sarcastic...I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Comment

Please tell me you're being sarcastic...the films you listed are some of the greatest movies ever made, and those're just in the genres of science fiction, horror, fantasy, comedy, and a biopic. If your'e not being sarcastic...I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
                    Of course. :evil:
                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Regarding the black and white, in 2012, a tough sell for kids who have been raised on eye-popping color from Pixar, Dreamworks Animation, and others. Which makes Disney's decision to bankroll this movie a curious one.

Comment

They probably gave Burton complete creative freedom...I'm just going to assume this since Alice in Wonderland was so incredibly successful. Unfortunately, full-length animation (with the exception of Toy Story 3) doesn't rake in a billion dollars.

Comment

They probably gave Burton complete creative freedom...I'm just going to assume this since Alice in Wonderland was so incredibly successful.
                          Perhaps Burton had complete artistic freedom but if Disney could shut down Gore Verbinski's Lone Ranger (over costs) with all his Pirates of the Caribbean success, they certainly could have said "Tim? Black and white? Are you sure?"

Comment

I actually became more interested in seeing this movie after I watched the preview and looked at the models in DCA. Before that I didn't particularly care. The preview had me in tears because it stirred up memories of losing a beloved pet and wishing there was some way to bring him/her back. Good thing the theater was dark! :shy:

Of course, it doesn't make much difference for the Box Office whether or not I am interested in a movie, because I very rarely go to the movies anyway. I just wait for the DVD.

Comment

I was sold on Frankenweenie before seeing the DCA exhibit and the sneak preview. I saw it last week and it was a fantastic movie. Best Burton film in at least 15 years. It's a shame it did so poorly.
                              Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X