This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] YESTERLAND: The Theme Park

Disney giveth, and Disney taketh away...

For this next park design, I thought it would be a fun exercise to create a Yesterland Park, comprised only of extinct attractions. Missed by many (and often wished to return from the dead), these lost rides, shows, shops & eateries now have a permanent place to reside posthumously... on IdealBuildout.

MAIN STREET USA
    ADVENTURELAND
    FRONTIERLAND

TOONTOWN FAIR
    TOMORROWLAND

DISCOVERYLAND

Re: YESTERLAND: The Theme Park

Great job Macho Man (I couldn't help myself!), this park is an Disneyland purist's wetdream!

Comment

Nice!

Any way we can sqeeze the Phantom Boats in there? (I didn't see them)

Comment

I'd definitely spend some time in your park. Great post!

Comment

Why aren't you working for Imagineering???

Comment

You read my mind
            Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

Just awesome!!

Viewliner maybe? Chicken plantation?

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Regarding some suggested rides above. Moonliner seems like it would fit the retro Discoveryland aesthetic very well... wish I had included that. Same for Chicken Plantation in Frontierland. I did consider the Motor Boat Cruise, but it didn't make the final cut - never realized a separate Phantom Boats existed until brought up here.

Comment

well all we gotta do is make the blueprints, and then a bunch of us will run off together and build this Disneyland!!!
                  Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Comment

Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
                    Thanks for the comments. Regarding some suggested rides above. Moonliner seems like it would fit the retro Discoveryland aesthetic very well... wish I had included that. Same for Chicken Plantation in Frontierland. I did consider the Motor Boat Cruise, but it didn't make the final cut - never realized a separate Phantom Boats existed until brought up here.
                    They were only around for a year (1955-1956) so they aren't super hard to overlook. Aesthetically they looked awesome, mechanically they were awful. I don't think these would make your cut either. However, I could see Adam West as Batman in one of these things!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KTPBK_1955_N19R_zps4329c0f6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7345081

Here is a short description from Davelandweb.com

On July 20, 1955, Disneyland debuted the Tomorrowland Boats in the lagoon that would eventually be home to the Submarines. This attraction was a snoozer; only 542 guests rode them at opening. Compared to the other unique and fun attractions, the slow-moving and unexceptional Boats just couldn’t compete. On August 16, 1955, they were rechristened The Phantom Boats and redesigned with tailfins that were apparently a mechanical nightmare. They quickly got a bad reputation for stranding guests in the lagoon.

There were a total of 14 gas-powered fiberglass marvels painted in bright colors, designed by Bruce Bushman. Poor mechanical design caused the motors to constantly overheat; every night the boats had to be rescued and repaired. “Pilots” for the boats were added to help the situation, but despite all their efforts, the Phantom Boats received the dubious distinction of being the first permanent Disneyland attraction to be closed. By the end of 1955, they were taken out of commission. There was a brief attempt to change the attraction to a Florida Everglades type “Airboat” (guests could even see signage proclaiming their June 2, 1956 opening). The new boat was built and even tested, but ultimately vetoed, so as a last resort, the Phantom Boats came back for one more chug around the lagoon in the summer of 1956.

Comment

Very nice! Original Imagination definitely has the right aesthetic for Discoveryland looking at the Dreamcatcher and the Dreamport.
                      M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                      sigpic
                      Flickr

Comment

I'd probably be at this park more so than DCA, that's for sure.

Comment

No disrespect meant to the OP, who created a park that is often claimed to be a great idea.

Looking at the list of attractions, makes it look like by far the least appealing Disney Park. No wonder they are all in Yesterland.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!
                          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                            No disrespect meant to the OP, who created a park that is often claimed to be a great idea.

Looking at the list of attractions, makes it look like by far the least appealing Disney Park. No wonder they are all in Yesterland.
                            Unappealing how?
                            M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                            sigpic
                            Flickr

Comment

Yesterland attractions are definitely removed for problems or lack of attendance, true. But the nostalgia and interest in going on attractions I've never been on (Mules and Mine Train) would keep me coming for a while.

When something is gone, you want it back. Imagine if they took out Winnie the Pooh. A couple years later everyone would be clamoring to have it returned to... ok, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                                When something is gone, you want it back. Imagine if they took out Winnie the Pooh. A couple years later everyone would be clamoring to have it returned to... ok, maybe not.
                                Look at Captian EO as an example of a returned attraction. The only wait on that is for it to cycle. While not a great example the subs returned, although highly different so not directly comparable. Lots of people complain about the subs still even being in the park.
                                Be Cool Stay in School!
                                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Look at Captian EO as an example of a returned attraction. The only wait on that is for it to cycle. While not a great example the subs returned, although highly different so not directly comparable. Lots of people complain about the subs still even being in the park.
                                  People's gripes with the subs are because of those changes. People's hatred of Nemo here is enough to have seen that debunked rumor about the subs being destroyed for real as a possible mercy killing.
                                  M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                  sigpic
                                  Flickr

Comment

Could there be a potential opening for apartments? Preferably for me on Main Street near the Penny Arcade, Cinema or House of Magic. In return I will work as streetmosphere for free because as my friend says I will fit right in.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
                                    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

I really think you should be working for Disney. I remember another plan you posted here a couple of years ago using the same of drafting style. I really miss some of the old attractions like Adventure thru Inner Space and Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland. There are no equivalents to those today. It's really not simple nostalgia, it's the quality, imagination, originality and immersiveness of the attractions that I long for. Not everything they build now has those same intangible qualities. The company really should take a good look at the past to see what really worked and what didn't work, and more importantly, why an attraction worked, and use that to inform their decisions about what to build in the future. They worked because of their beauty, character, humor, originality, imagination, immersiveness... they brought the guests' mind into an adventure or self-contained world. You forgot you were in Disneyland for a few minutes. Those intangibles are more important than raw thrills or expensive special effects.
                                      Last edited by Bob Weaver; 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X