X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DutchGuy
    New MiceChatter
    • Sep 2012

[Question] Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

I haven't been to the Disneyland Resort yet (my homepark is Disneyland Paris), but after seeing a POV video of the monorail I was wondering: doesn't it spoil much of the magic? You get to see so many backstage areas and industrial looking places... Anyone who actually rode it has anything to say on the subject?
  • calsig31
    -
    • Aug 2009

Re: Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

It doesn't spoil it. It actually adds to it.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• explodingboy
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
      I'd have to agree. The Monorail is great and gives you some awesome views of the Resort. Sure you pass by some of the backstage areas but personally I like that! It's cool to see that stuff!

Comment

• bee1000
        Keepin' it calsteady
        • Oct 2006

Seeing the backstage areas doesn't spoil the park, but seeing Harbor Blvd and other parts of the outside world isn't great and having to disembark in Downtown Disney is a real buzzkill.

Comment

• jcruise86
          former CM

• Jul 2006

Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

No.

I went to Walt Disney World as a kid, and the monorail was the form of transportation that took us on the final scenic segment of the journey to the Magic Kingdom. To me it represents Disney as much as a good drawing of Mickey Mouse.

Originally posted by bee1000 View Post
          Seeing the backstage areas doesn't spoil the park, but seeing Harbor Blvd and other parts of the outside world isn't great and having to disembark in Downtown Disney is a real buzzkill.
          We disagree. :ghug:

Comment

• flynnibus
            MiceChatter
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DutchGuy View Post
            I haven't been to the Disneyland Resort yet (my homepark is Disneyland Paris), but after seeing a POV video of the monorail I was wondering: doesn't it spoil much of the magic? You get to see so many backstage areas and industrial looking places... Anyone who actually rode it has anything to say on the subject?
            It's a different experience for sure.. in WDW it mostly makes grand passes.. through the Contemp.. around the lagoon... approaching the MK.. looping around EPCOT.

At DLR.. the portion of the trip in TL/FL is great.. but its only a short portion of the ride. The rest is like riding a regional train. Running through the parts of town no one else wants to. Does it ruin the magic? No... no more so then the skyway or google maps does.. but is it glamerous or enticing? Nope.
            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• smartlabelprint
              MiceChatter
              • Sep 2012

No. The monorail is good with me. I don't ride often though.

Comment

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
                Mischievous Mouse
                • Oct 2007

I've only riden it once out of dozens of visits to the parks, but so cool to watch it swish on by!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

• hojoanaheim
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Dec 2007

I think seeing parts of backstage adds some mystery to the trip. You get to see things that you normally do not see, and I always wonder what buildings we are passing and try to get a glimpse of something cool.

-Kriss

Comment

• Sambo
                    Down Pluto!
                    • Feb 2005

Doesn't spoil anything and enhances it IMHO. Additionally I enjoy seeing the monorail cruise along Harbor Blvd. It reminds me that there is indeed a possiblity of futuristic mass transit. We have this gawd-awful light rail here in Sacramento, and I am constantly saddened that the Capital city of California chose ugly, expensive, inefficient, and very old technology over a bold, bright, and futuristic option. Talk about a political boondoggle... sigh

:yuck:

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

• sbk1234
                      formerly very helpful
                      • Sep 2007

I agree. I used to avoid the monorail like the plague when it took you through the magical parking lot. Now I don't mind it so much since except for a short bit of Harbor Blvd., it's all part of the Disneyland Resort.
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

• Slappypunk
                        Foolish Mortal
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                        I couldn't agree more.

I love to see what's going on in Disneyland. It puts me in a complete awe.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
                        "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
                        "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Comment

• jasmineray
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jun 2012

The monorail doesn't ruin anything for me, including the views. I love it all. It's home.
                          Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

• magicaldisney77
                            MiceChatter
                            • Dec 2010

i could see why you would think that, but really the whole area around the DLR feels like a resort as a whole. because the DLR is a resort within a resort as they call it the Anaheim resort.
                            Last edited by magicaldisney77; 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Giant Panda
                              My Children's Father
                              • Jan 2005

I agree with the first point, but the visibility of Harbor Blvd. is a result of placement and function, another result of which brings back nostalgia for the good old days.

Back in the day, approaching Disneyland from afar, the first thing you'd see of the park was the Matterhorn. No less thrilling was to exit I-5 at Harbor and finding a Monorail traveling overhead. It was the only ride visible from the outside, what Walt would call a wienee (something to draw someone's interest).
                              "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                              - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

• Gothemi
                                • Feb 2005

Not at all for us. In fact, it's kinda nice when you sometimes see CM's backstage (or the parades waiting near IASW to go "on stage") look up and wave at you...

Comment

• Barbaraann
                                  Chicago Gal
                                  • Apr 2005

The Disneyland monorail is cool when it goes by. There's something futuristic about it. I like riding it, but mostly, I like watching it and taking photographs of it. It immediately makes me think of Walt Disney, and instantly reminds me of where I am. Disneyland is a special place, and occupies a big part of my heart. The monorail in many ways symbolizes that.
                                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Aug 2009

I'll be the dissenter here and say that the first part of the trip does spoil the magic. I remember thinking even as a kid, that the sudden change from Tomorrowland to the gritty "real world" was kind of a shock. Then you had a view of the parking lot, then a boring stop at the hotel. But when you went back into the park the "magic" returned and you were looking at the Autopia, the Motor Boat Cruise, and going around the Matterhorn, getting a brief glimpse of Fantasyland... that brought the wonder and "magic" back.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                                      Beach Expert
                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                                      Doesn't spoil anything and enhances it IMHO. Additionally I enjoy seeing the monorail cruise along Harbor Blvd. It reminds me that there is indeed a possiblity of futuristic mass transit. We have this gawd-awful light rail here in Sacramento, and I am constantly saddened that the Capital city of California chose ugly, expensive, inefficient, and very old technology over a bold, bright, and futuristic option. Talk about a political boondoggle... sigh

:yuck:
                                      I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the monorail that was supposed to connect the ARTIC to the DLR has been shelved for a light rail system similar to the one in Sacramento. No fancy monorails -- just a light rail system. Nothing fancy or glamorous.

Anaheim considers adding streetcars near Disneyland | anaheim, city, streetcars - News - The Orange County Register

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
                                      I agree with the first point, but the visibility of Harbor Blvd. is a result of placement and function, another result of which brings back nostalgia for the good old days.

Back in the day, approaching Disneyland from afar, the first thing you'd see of the park was the Matterhorn. No less thrilling was to exit I-5 at Harbor and finding a Monorail traveling overhead. It was the only ride visible from the outside, what Walt would call a wienee (something to draw someone's interest).
                                      That was so amazing when I was a kid, approaching the resort. And to this day I love it when the monorail goes along Harbor Blvd, even when riding. It's as if I can observe the real, ugly world, but within the safe confines of a monorail car, which is all connected to and within Disneyland.

Comment

• flynnibus
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jun 2006

the leg from harbor over to the front entrance portion is the worst.. there is no backstage magic there.. it looks like your local city alley. The stretch along harbor is neat for 3 seconds to think 'monorail vs car' but the rest of the trip once you leave the TL 'forest' really is droning and anti-climatic. That stretch along the entrance way stands out to me the most.

There really are no majestic scenes at all except in TL.
                                        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X