Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buena Vista Street Newsboys - Good or Bad?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Buena Vista Street Newsboys - Good or Bad?

I do like the idea of having period newsboys singing period songs on Buena Vista Street - but the annoying back beat instrumented into those songs really irks me. No music from that time period had a back beat like that. And the way they try to use period instruments to somehow create a modern 2012 sounding back beat, just ends up sounding God Awful to me. Why don't they just play the music in a 1925 style. The music from that time is wonderful as is. Why is there any need to modernize it. It majorly cheapens (Las Vegasizes) the show for me I find it lame and a disappointment. And also, why do the boys have to sing the music like they are members of NSync - or contestants on American Idol? Just sing the song. I hate them turning it into 2012 pop music.

I am sure most under age 25 are going to disagree with me, but this 39 year old likes his roaring 20's Jazz played in a traditional way. Just sayin'...
    I like the show just like it is
    37.74%
    I like the idea of the show, but do not like the way the music is performed.
    45.28%
    I do not like the show at all
    16.98%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by DisneyChrisDotCom; 10-18-2012, 08:19 AM.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Re: Buena Vista Street Newsboys - Good or Bad?

All Buena Vista Street performers need to cut the use of speakers. It really removes the intimacy from the whole show.

Comment

Originally posted by Rave View Post
      All Buena Vista Street performers need to cut the use of speakers. It really removes the intimacy from the whole show.
      This.

My complaint about the daily entertainment for years is that it is too loud. I'd much rather have entertainment like New Orleans Square does with the jazz performers or the pirates. They go to a certain spot with their instruments and play. If you want to stand and listen then you stand there. People all the way over in Frontierland don't hear what is going on.
      Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Or at least make the speakers not as loud - so you only hear the show within the immediate area and not all over the park.

An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Comment

Originally posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
          I do like the idea of having period newsboys singing period songs on Buena Vista Street - but the annoying back beat instrumented into those songs really irks me. No music from that time period had a back beat like that. And the way they try to use period instruments to somehow create a modern 2012 sounding back beat, just ends up sounding God Awful to me. Why don't they just play the music in a 1925 style. The music from that time is wonderful as is. Why is there any need to modernize it. It majorly cheapens (Las Vegasizes) the show for me I find it lame and a disappointment. And also, why do the boys have to sing the music like they are members of NSync - or contestants on American Idol? Just sing the song. I hate them turning it into 2012 pop music.

I am sure most under age 25 are going to disagree with me, but this 39 year old likes his roaring 20's Jazz played in a traditional way. Just sayin'...
          I supposed I'm not under 25 seeing as how I AM 25, but I completely agree with you. My usual playlist consists of everything from the Andrews Sisters to Buddy Holly to Kanye West and Journey. I'm not familiar with a ton of music from the 20's (I don't think I can name any singers?), but I know I enjoy that era, and agree with you that these "mashups" aren't quite what I'm looking for with this group.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
          KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Early popular recorded music from the turn of the 20th century until the mid 40's put much more emphasis on the instruments than on vocals, including the music from the 1920's, so it is not surprising that you have very little knowledge of the singers from that time. People of that time knew the names of bands more often than they knew the names of singers. There were a few notable exceptions, such as Al Jolson and Eddie Cantor, and of course blues music had many great singers, but that is a different style than Roaring 20's type jazz, so that would not really be appropriate for Buena Vista Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Rave View Post
              This is in interesting idea. That would mean that the performers would actually have to have the power to expand their vocals like the performers used to do in Vaudelville. It was all voices then, no microphones or speakers.

Now, I'm not saying the performers can't expand their vocals or that they do a bad job. I've seen the Newsboys performance twice and once just passing by but I think in the 1920's performers did not use speakers. Vaudeville was true talent. Heck even the burlesque shows were talented if a bit on the more risque side, for that era.

Ta Da!

Comment

Agreed with all above. They need to keep it in the genre and keep it at the tone it was meant to be delivered to be enjoyable, not the over-amplified nuisance it ends up becoming.

Comment

Chalk me up as someone who thinks it's quite good. I might find parts of the show odd because of the modern feel, but it's not like it's the only entertainment available on BVS.

If we're going to talk about conflicting time periods, I'd like to ask why Main Street has characters from completely different time periods and locations.

Comment

I think the show as it is does tend to be a bit annoying. It's loud, the music is out of theme, and it feels quite forced. If they could scale it back a bit and do away with the loudness, the processed, modern music, and make it a more intimate show, I think it could be nice and charming.

Comment

I'm under the age of 25 and I whole heartedly agree with you.

Originally posted by Princess Victoria View Post
                      I think the show as it is does tend to be a bit annoying. It's loud, the music is out of theme, and it feels quite forced. If they could scale it back a bit and do away with the loudness, the processed, modern music, and make it a more intimate show, I think it could be nice and charming.
                      This pretty much sums it up.

Comment

i really think a newies show that replaces Aladdin is a great idea
                        Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

My kids, ages 9 and 7 love it. I like it, but I'd like to see either more vintage, classic music from the period - and/or more music from the musical Newsies. I think it would blend in alright with the period of the theming.
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Songs from Newsies would be fun too, as long as they have the same sound as the film, no a modern pop version.

Comment

I like having polls attached to new threads. They give me a sense of purpose when posting.
                              "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

i usually ignore them it kinda gets in my way of walking lol

Comment

The concept is good, but the music is horrid. The backbeat thing...seriously? No. I much prefer the Five & Dime band.

Comment

By the way - sorry for misspelling Buena on the Poll. I tried to fix it, but I guess you cannot edit a poll once it has been posted.

---------- Post added 10-19-2012 at 10:30 AM ----------

Looks like so far - out of 44 votes cast, only 18 like the show as it is. I am glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way. I bet those 18 in favor would not mind the show either if it were changed to set the tastes of the rest of us. So EVERYONE would probably like it if it was performed differently, and the music were played differently... Are you listening Disney???? Just sayin'

(well - I guess there would still be the nine who do not like it anyway, but you cannot please everyone)
                                    Last edited by DisneyChrisDotCom; 10-19-2012, 07:32 AM.

____________________________________________

Comment

Looks like so far - out of 44 votes cast, only 18 like the show as it is. I am glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way. I bet those 18 in favor would not mind the show either if it were changed to set the tastes of the rest of us. So EVERYONE would probably like it if it was performed differently, and the music were played differently... Are you listening Disney???? Just sayin'

(well - I guess there would still be the nine who do not like it anyway, but you cannot please everyone)
                                      Count me as genuinely surprised that so many people like the show as it is. I love streetmosphere and I think that the utilization of the trolley is genius, but I just can't look past the awful music or the overall forced feel of the show. But at least some guests are enjoying it.

Comment

I love the idea of it... but the only good part of the show is "suitcase and a dream".

I think they should just ride the trolley into the area, get off and sing. No trolley needed. And have the showed timed, to where at the end they can hop back on the trolley as it passes.

The acting of the swinging the bat and everything and the silly props is what keeps it less athan good. Cut all that crap out, and the raisers, and the trolley. I also think they should hop out of the trolley and pass out papers to everyone first.

@FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X