Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday October 20th 2012 (Why was Dland so packed?)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Saturday October 20th 2012 (Why was Dland so packed?)

Was there any special events going on yesterday? Saturday October 20th 2012.

The park was more packed for a Saturday then we have seen in a long time. Just wondering what was going on.

Any ideas?

Re: Saturday October 20th 2012 (Why was Dland so packed?)

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
    Was there any special events going on yesterday? Saturday October 20th 2012.

The park was more packed for a Saturday then we have seen in a long time. Just wondering what was going on.

Any ideas?
    I went last Saturday and experienced the same thing. The crowd level was about the highest I'd ever seen. 40 minute wait for Pirates (and longer waits for almost everything else at DL).

I believe because a.) it's a Saturday and b.) people what to check out all of the Haloween changes / decorates and c.) something about annual pass restrictions coming off (I don't know much about APs) has created these crowded conditions.

Comment

Makes sense. I guess my Family was used to the slower Saturdays that occured in the few years past.

Growing up, back in the day, Saturday was always the busiest days, but that seemed to change once AP's came onto the scene in the 1990's. Then Saturdays were not as busy as Sundays (or at least it seemed that way to us)

It did appear thought that Disney Land Management had not staffed the park appropriately for the higher attendance levels. It appeared that there were fewer Cast Members in all areas, notably parking garage, trams, ticket booths, front gate, even crowd control.

Comment

Growing up, back in the day, Saturday was always the busiest days, but that seemed to change once AP's came onto the scene in the 1990's. Then Saturdays were not as busy as Sundays (or at least it seemed that way to us)
        According to Al Lutz' article: Disneyland Christmas may be extra - Al Lutz Disneyland's Saturday attendance has boomed to the fifty-thousands, a huge contrast to the twenty-two thousand it was getting just months ago when Cars Land opened. I don't think there was any special event going on yesterday but at the same time it is a little unusual to hear about swelling crowds at a time that has historically been a more quiet season for the park.

It did appear thought that Disney Land Management had not staffed the park appropriately for the higher attendance levels. It appeared that there were fewer Cast Members in all areas, notably parking garage, trams, ticket booths, front gate, even crowd control.
        I'm getting pretty annoyed with the staffing situation too, and you're definitely not the first one to notice this as it has been happening since the opening of the new DCA. It seems like there's some kind of financial shortfall that the park's management is desperately and deliberately trying to resolve before Christmastime and the guest's experience at this time is suffering because of it. I'm all for the financial success of the parks as it's been proven in the past to pay off royally with new attractions, refurbs, and other things but it comes at too great of an expense when hordes of guests, expecting a day's worth of hard-earned fun, are instead walking around angry and/or confused due to the lack of cast members or lack of cast member experience for that matter.
        Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Comment

Originally posted by G24T View Post
          It seems like there's some kind of financial shortfall that the park's management is desperately and deliberately trying to resolve before Christmastime and the guest's experience at this time is suffering because of it.
          Disney is suffering no financial shortfall, they're simply maximizing profits. Shortstaffing, like stocking their stores with cheap generic merchandise, is part of their ongoing business model of increasing prices and lowering spending. They'll continue doing so as long as hundreds of thousands of customers continue telling them it's OK by pulling out their wallets and spending, spending, spending.
          Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM.
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Cheap entrance for tens of thousands?
            Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
              Disney is suffering no financial shortfall, they're simply maximizing profits. Shortstaffing, like stocking their stores with cheap generic merchandise, is part of their ongoing business model of increasing prices and lowering spending. They'll continue doing so as long as hundreds of thousands of customers continue telling it's OK by pulling out their wallets and spending, spending, spending.
              Yup, Disneyland is The corporations "cash cow". The company has so
              Many divisions which hemorage money, Disneyland and now DCA is the "gift which keeps on giving"
              Although with the "dumbing down" of the brand and decrease in levels of customer service I doubt the "next generation" of park goers will view "Disneyland" with the same park loyalty which has been sustaining the Park for so long.

If one of us ever becomes a billionaire , mark my words, we will open a new park which will be based on the true magIc which made Disneyland so special at one point before the rise of the MBA's took control.

It has been a pleasure to see Mr. Lasseter push through some great things at DCA. The MBA's must have been really p.o'd that JL proved them all wrong and spent tons of money on scenery and building facades which has proven to be a hit of the 2nd gate.

Comment

^ thanks guys for the clarification. I know that it's been asked before and it may be opening pandora's box but I have to ask. Why would the company go down a path so blatantly destructive to the quality model of the late nineties/early 2000's (which even then was only a shadow of its own predecessor)? I mean we can assume its greed but are guests to blame too? I mean if a complaint falls in the woods and a plaid isn't there to hear it does anything ever get fixed or are the complaints being made not making it to the front office and instead being diverted to neverland?
                Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Comment

Originally posted by G24T View Post
                  I mean we can assume its greed but are guests to blame too?
                  Every time a DLR customer renews an AP or buys a day ticket, they're voting YES to Disney's business practice of raising prices, understaffing, and treating CMs like disposable droids. Every customer who buys a ticket to an upcharged holiday event is voting YES to Disney's practice of upcharging for things that used to be included in the gate price. Every customer who buys a piece of generic merchandise from a Disneyland store is voting YES to Disney stocking their stores with more of the same.

Disney charges more for less because it works. And it works because customers by the millions crowd the parks, wallets at the ready, only too happy to spend more and more for less and less.
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    Every time a DLR customer renews an AP or buys a day ticket, they're voting YES to Disney's business practice of raising prices, understaffing, and treating CMs like disposable droids. Every customer who buys a ticket to an upcharged holiday event is voting YES to Disney's practice of upcharging for things that used to be included in the gate price. Every customer who buys a piece of generic merchandise from a Disneyland store is voting YES to Disney stocking their stores with more of the same.

Disney charges more for less because it works. And it works because customers by the millions crowd the parks, wallets at the ready, only too happy to spend more and more for less and less.
                    Well I guess Disney mgmt. figures if people want better customer service they just need to hire the private "Plaid" tour guides.
                    Regular Admission does not include the "upgraded" customer care available for a additional fee.

Wow, sad how far things have declined in the customer care department. I have heard from some of the best CM's that Disney is trying to force them out. The old timer CM's Probably cost the park too much money.

Comment

I have been wondering if the way that they measure attendance needs to change.

We know that they measure based on "first-click", as in, which park people go to first. I get the feeling that, with the parks opening at the same time, a lot of people go into DCA to grab fastpasses and then hop back to the main park. This would throw their calculations way off if enough people were doing this.

Someone needs to really do some more data mining on the gate traffic information that they do have. Get some good analysis and graphics tools and look for some other patterns outside of the norm.
                      Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
                      Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

Comment

There actually IS a special circumstance this weekend: Utah Escapes to Anaheim. Many Utah schools are closed from the 18th - 21st because of an education conference, and a lot of families take advantage of the time off to come to Disneyland. It happens every year around this time. There's a large enough influx of Utahns every year that the trend earned its own name.
                        Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

just speculation on my part.

could the staffing issue be in part related to turn over due to CM's leaving for school and hiring and training new staff? I would think the exit rate would be high at the end of summer.

as far as financial problems, the stock price is at an all time high.

Comment

Originally posted by bytemaster View Post
                            I have been wondering if the way that they measure attendance needs to change.

We know that they measure based on "first-click", as in, which park people go to first. I get the feeling that, with the parks opening at the same time, a lot of people go into DCA to grab fastpasses and then hop back to the main park. This would throw their calculations way off if enough people were doing this.

Someone needs to really do some more data mining on the gate traffic information that they do have. Get some good analysis and graphics tools and look for some other patterns outside of the norm.
                            The "first click" model is how they budget for account purposes(ie, which park earned the ticket sale revenue) and such. They know the attendance patterns really way and do keep track of cross overs and all. But that information is not included in "total admission" numbers.

Comment

We were there a couple of Saturdays ago and it was a bit busier in the evening then the morning, but it was not terribly so. Overall is was not that bad and was still a very enjoyable day. If Utah schools were out like Malina said, then that could have certainly caused the issue the OP had.
                              “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X