This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Main Street Cinema showing Oswald Cartoons

Toontown's supposed to be the home of ALL 'toons...so it would be weird if Oswald wasn't there! Having said that I don't think he'd be really appreciated best in Toontown; the little kids and their parents want to meet the Fab 5. The kids probably wouldn't know Oswald.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFan View Post
      I'd love to see it in BVS! Would actually fit the time period there haha
      Actually, he wouldn't fit the time period. Judging by the new statue, Mickey was already created at this point which meant Walt had already lost Oswald.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
        Actually, he wouldn't fit the time period. Judging by the new statue, Mickey was already created at this point which meant Walt had already lost Oswald.
        But that doesn't mean Oswald was sent to another era to live in. Just because one does not own it anymore doesn't necessarily mean that they don't belong in that era. Oswald was born in the 30's and Buena Vista Street is themed to a 30's setting. They go together like bread and butter.

What's a good analogy I can think of...

Michael Jackson songs. They truly signify the 80's. Now imagine if Jackson's songs were sold off and they didn't belong to him anymore during that time era. They wouldn't belong to Michael Jackson anymore, but they are still associated with the 80's because they were made in the 80's and signify the 80's.

Not the best analogy I could think of, but it sort of works.

Total Tender Rides: 20
        Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
        Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
        Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
          But that doesn't mean Oswald was sent to another era to live in. Just because one does not own it anymore doesn't necessarily mean that they don't belong in that era. Oswald was born in the 30's and Buena Vista Street is themed to a 30's setting. They go together like bread and butter.

What's a good analogy I can think of...

Michael Jackson songs. They truly signify the 80's. Now imagine if Jackson's songs were sold off and they didn't belong to him anymore during that time era. They wouldn't belong to Michael Jackson anymore, but they are still associated with the 80's because they were made in the 80's and signify the 80's.

Not the best analogy I could think of, but it sort of works.
          I think a better analogy would be: if I lost ownership of my car, I wouldn't park it in my garage.
          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
            Main Street USA is set around a turn-of-the-century middletown America setting. Roughly 1900's to 1910's judging by some of the other factors on the rest of Main Street such as the cars or horse drawn street cars (Or if you want to go by the Wikipedia, 1890 to 1915). Buena Vista Street is set in a 1930's Los Angeles setting. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit came about in 1927, or roughly around the 1930's. If anything, I believe Oswald belongs more on Buena Vista Street than Main Street USA. Now don't get me wrong, I do want to see some old Oswald cartoons in a theater at the parks, but Main Street USA just isn't the choice mainly due to the fact that he wasn't even 'born' yet in Main Street USA's time period.

(PS: If there is no room on Buena Vista Street, try Hollywood Land. They're both themed to the same time period anyways)
            Well then I guess we shouldn't have any characters on Main Street. At least not the ones that are there now.

Back to the original question: I think having a series of Oswald shorts thrown into the set (or do they loop the same few cartoons infinitely?) would be fun. Bonus scenario: don't have an Oswald short at all hours but have it at special times as a kind of Easter Egg.

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post
              I'd be cool with Oswald being added to the current program; I wouldn't be cool with it if he replaced the current offerings. It's amazing to watch reactions to the early Mickey cartoons--a lot of people don't realize that, well, he was a bit meaner than the current Mickey is.

I would also think it would have to be restricted to Disney's original Oswald cartoons. If it were the Universal ones, it would be like rubbing salt into a very old wound.
              Agreed! Seeing old Mickey Mouse cartoons in that theater was my first glimpse into the real character of Mickey instead of the one with the bland personality that Disney advertises today. The Mickey cartoons should definitely stay, but I love the idea of adding Alice comedies and Oswald cartoons to the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
                I think Main Street and even more so BV Street is the appropriate place for Oswald - Not Toontown
                I stand corrected. That is a way more logical spot. 1930's or not, his appearance and influence is about the same era.

Comment

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
                  Well then I guess we shouldn't have any characters on Main Street. At least not the ones that are there now.

Back to the original question: I think having a series of Oswald shorts thrown into the set (or do they loop the same few cartoons infinitely?) would be fun. Bonus scenario: don't have an Oswald short at all hours but have it at special times as a kind of Easter Egg.
                  +1
                  "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                  - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I'd say have both Mickey and Oswald
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X