replied
    Re: Main Street Cinema showing Oswald Cartoons

I'd say have both Mickey and Oswald

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Well then I guess we shouldn't have any characters on Main Street. At least not the ones that are there now.

Back to the original question: I think having a series of Oswald shorts thrown into the set (or do they loop the same few cartoons infinitely?) would be fun. Bonus scenario: don't have an Oswald short at all hours but have it at special times as a kind of Easter Egg.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

Originally posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I think Main Street and even more so BV Street is the appropriate place for Oswald - Not Toontown
    I stand corrected. That is a way more logical spot. 1930's or not, his appearance and influence is about the same era.

Leave a comment:

• gatheringrosebuds
    replied

Originally posted by Malina View Post
    I'd be cool with Oswald being added to the current program; I wouldn't be cool with it if he replaced the current offerings. It's amazing to watch reactions to the early Mickey cartoons--a lot of people don't realize that, well, he was a bit meaner than the current Mickey is.

I would also think it would have to be restricted to Disney's original Oswald cartoons. If it were the Universal ones, it would be like rubbing salt into a very old wound.
    Agreed! Seeing old Mickey Mouse cartoons in that theater was my first glimpse into the real character of Mickey instead of the one with the bland personality that Disney advertises today. The Mickey cartoons should definitely stay, but I love the idea of adding Alice comedies and Oswald cartoons to the mix.

Leave a comment:

• ohmyjustin
    replied

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
    Main Street USA is set around a turn-of-the-century middletown America setting. Roughly 1900's to 1910's judging by some of the other factors on the rest of Main Street such as the cars or horse drawn street cars (Or if you want to go by the Wikipedia, 1890 to 1915). Buena Vista Street is set in a 1930's Los Angeles setting. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit came about in 1927, or roughly around the 1930's. If anything, I believe Oswald belongs more on Buena Vista Street than Main Street USA. Now don't get me wrong, I do want to see some old Oswald cartoons in a theater at the parks, but Main Street USA just isn't the choice mainly due to the fact that he wasn't even 'born' yet in Main Street USA's time period.

(PS: If there is no room on Buena Vista Street, try Hollywood Land. They're both themed to the same time period anyways)
    Well then I guess we shouldn't have any characters on Main Street. At least not the ones that are there now.

Back to the original question: I think having a series of Oswald shorts thrown into the set (or do they loop the same few cartoons infinitely?) would be fun. Bonus scenario: don't have an Oswald short at all hours but have it at special times as a kind of Easter Egg.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
    But that doesn't mean Oswald was sent to another era to live in. Just because one does not own it anymore doesn't necessarily mean that they don't belong in that era. Oswald was born in the 30's and Buena Vista Street is themed to a 30's setting. They go together like bread and butter.

What's a good analogy I can think of...

Michael Jackson songs. They truly signify the 80's. Now imagine if Jackson's songs were sold off and they didn't belong to him anymore during that time era. They wouldn't belong to Michael Jackson anymore, but they are still associated with the 80's because they were made in the 80's and signify the 80's.

Not the best analogy I could think of, but it sort of works.
    I think a better analogy would be: if I lost ownership of my car, I wouldn't park it in my garage.

Leave a comment:

• Bongo
    replied

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, he wouldn't fit the time period. Judging by the new statue, Mickey was already created at this point which meant Walt had already lost Oswald.
    But that doesn't mean Oswald was sent to another era to live in. Just because one does not own it anymore doesn't necessarily mean that they don't belong in that era. Oswald was born in the 30's and Buena Vista Street is themed to a 30's setting. They go together like bread and butter.

What's a good analogy I can think of...

Michael Jackson songs. They truly signify the 80's. Now imagine if Jackson's songs were sold off and they didn't belong to him anymore during that time era. They wouldn't belong to Michael Jackson anymore, but they are still associated with the 80's because they were made in the 80's and signify the 80's.

Not the best analogy I could think of, but it sort of works.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Originally posted by SoCalFan View Post
    I'd love to see it in BVS! Would actually fit the time period there haha
    Actually, he wouldn't fit the time period. Judging by the new statue, Mickey was already created at this point which meant Walt had already lost Oswald.

Leave a comment:

• Malina
    replied

Toontown's supposed to be the home of ALL 'toons...so it would be weird if Oswald wasn't there! Having said that I don't think he'd be really appreciated best in Toontown; the little kids and their parents want to meet the Fab 5. The kids probably wouldn't know Oswald.

Leave a comment:

• Bongo
    replied

Main Street USA is set around a turn-of-the-century middletown America setting. Roughly 1900's to 1910's judging by some of the other factors on the rest of Main Street such as the cars or horse drawn street cars (Or if you want to go by the Wikipedia, 1890 to 1915). Buena Vista Street is set in a 1930's Los Angeles setting. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit came about in 1927, or roughly around the 1930's. If anything, I believe Oswald belongs more on Buena Vista Street than Main Street USA. Now don't get me wrong, I do want to see some old Oswald cartoons in a theater at the parks, but Main Street USA just isn't the choice mainly due to the fact that he wasn't even 'born' yet in Main Street USA's time period.

(PS: If there is no room on Buena Vista Street, try Hollywood Land. They're both themed to the same time period anyways)

Leave a comment:

• SoCalFan
    replied

I'd love to see it in BVS! Would actually fit the time period there haha

Leave a comment:

• Disneylandfan85
    replied

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
    Would Toontown be acceptable?
    Only if it was just Oswald the character for a meet-n-greet, but even then, there's no guarantee.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyChrisDotCom
    replied

I think Main Street and even more so BV Street is the appropriate place for Oswald - Not Toontown

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

It feels natural to have it on Main St. with the legacy cartoons. To me, it would feel shoehorned if forcibly given an attraction in Toontown but hey, I could be wrong. Got a proposal of how it would work and not feel weird?

Leave a comment:

• LordVader
    replied

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
    If ever Oswald were to be incorporated into a park, this would be the one and only logical place that I would accept. Anything else would feel contrived and shoehorned into place. Showing an Oswald cartoon here makes sense.
    Would Toontown be acceptable?

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    i like the way the theatre is . keep it that way.
    I agree. They are already making too big a deal over this character.

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

If ever Oswald were to be incorporated into a park, this would be the one and only logical place that I would accept. Anything else would feel contrived and shoehorned into place. Showing an Oswald cartoon here makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

I would like to see all three of those options, great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Buster Keaton
    replied

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation of cartoons including the Mickey cartoons seen now supplemented with other Mickey, Oswald, Alice, and even Laugh-O-Gram cartoons. Further, Disney should take advantage of the restored and remastered transfers they have for these cartoons. I'm still surprised that after all these years that the version of Steamboat Willie that they use at the Main Street Cinema is a censored version. I also wouldn't mind seeing actual silent films being shown there again like they were many years ago. Let's see the likes of Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Gloria Swanson, and William S. Hart back at the Main Street Cinema!

Leave a comment:

• film975
    replied

Didn't Disney already release the Oswald cartoons and Alice comedies on the Disney Treasures DVD's? I'd rather see Oswald and the Alice comedies on Buena Vista Street since they were created in that time period anyway. It's really too bad they didn't put at cinema in the Carthay Circle.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X