• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dustinius
    New MiceChatter
    • Oct 2012

[Question] Advice for first day itinerary

Hey guys, I am a first timer who is bringing my family to dl in feb 2013 (9th to 16th). My first day will be a Sunday and I am looking for some advice on what to tackle first? Where should I run to first for fp's? Should my first day be spent at dl or California adv? I will have a 5 day hopper pass, but still want to get the most out the days we spend there. Seeing as it is the "offseason" is it worth purchasing the ridemax thing? Or should I just wing it?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    cheers
  • swampymarsh
    Under that tree again!
    • Nov 2011

Re: Advice for first day itinerary

Since it's a quiet offseason period and you have 5 days don't rush. Just plan to see the fireworks that first night.

Otherwise just go with the flow. Seriously if you want to ride everything 3 or 4 times it won't be hard. Although I've gone to DCA first a lot for RSR, you may want to start with a walk down Main Street.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• DisneyChrisDotCom
      AKA - DisneyChris
      • Sep 2007

If it is your first time ever to the park - two suggestions -

Do not enter Disneyland Via the Monorail - nothing is quite like the impact of entering Disneyland for the first time ever via the main entrance tunnels on to Main Street USA - This is an experience you will never forget. Nothing can quite describe how magical it is. To enter via the Monorail is to pass up this amazing entrance.

Some may argue this, but before you do ANYTHING else - do not explore any of Main Street - as tempting as it may be - Once you walk in - the very first thing you must do is to take a round trip ride on the Disneyland Railroad. Do not get off at any of the station stops, ride all the way around until you come back to Main Street USA. This is a great preview of the day ahead, and the Railroad will really set the mood and excitement for the entire day. You may be tempted to get off at one of the stations along the way - but please stay on until you do a full circle. The last part of the ride is the most exciting - passing through the Grand Canyon and then the World of the Dinosaurs. Once you get back to Main Street - Then you may explore that area. But do the train first. Trust me!!!

If it is your first visit - do not concern yourself with crowd flow or best time to see things. Just go with the flow, explore the park as you see fit. This is the most enjoyable way to experience the park. But that being said, after the train, these are the attractions (in no particular order) that are not to be missed - this does not include California Adventure, I am just talking about Disneyland park.

Enchanted Tiki Room
      Jungle Cruise
      Indiana Jones Adventure
      Pirates of the Caribbean
      Haunted Mansion
      Splash Mountain
      Big Thunder Mountain
      Peter Pan's Flight
      Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
      Alice in Wonderland
      It's a Small World
      Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin
      Matterhorn Bobsleds
      Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
      Star Tours
      Captain EO
      Space Mountain
      Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
      The Disneyland Monorail

And on your way out of the park, I always suggest you see Great Moments with Mr. Linclon to end your day. It is a great finale and it is very close to the park exit.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
      An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Comment

• smartlabelprint
        MiceChatter
        • Sep 2012

Sunday will be an early morning at DCA (Disney California Adventure Park) so I'd suggest starting that day in DL (Disneyland).

Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday make use of your "Magic Morning" in DL.

Always be at park before opening. It's my favorite time in the park. People with babies are often not able to make it that early so it's calm, quiet and you can get on quite a few rides without much wait to get your day off to a happy start.

Personally I wouldn't get ridemax because I'm not sure how accurate those type of software are (at least for DCA) since Carsland opened. The park levels of 2/3 that are being reported by touring plans on the weekly updates are inaccurate. The mousewait app is showing 7/8 actual attendance on those days (I think it's based on how long the waits are).

Read about the fastpass system and use them to save a bit of time in line.

Comment

• JMazz
          Banned User
          • May 2012

Warning about "off season".

The Off Season is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I learned my lesson during the last week of September of this year. What was touted as a 1.1 (out of 10), became something much bigger than that. While there were slow times on any given day, each day peaked with massive crowds approx 2pm-7pm. Disney clearly is cutting staff these days and the path ways were busier than during spring break (up-shot was than many times the lines were less than that of spring break). You wont be dealing with holiday/summer crowd types, but don't be surprized if the park gets swamped at times.

I don't want it to appear that I am trying to rain on your parade (pun intended!!!), nor do I want to start a debate with anyone about staffing and crowds and APs, I just want you to be fully aware that the entire DLR is a different beast than what it used to be. It was slowly moving in this direction for the past several years, and then made a huge jump when Carsland opened. Prepare for the biggest of crowds and then be pleasantly surprized when you find a lull anywhere in the park.

Enjoy your time at the park! Crowds aside, I personally think the hardest part is waiting for months before the trip!!!

---------- Post added 10-27-2012 at 10:28 PM ----------

Originally posted by smartlabelprint View Post
          Personally I wouldn't get ridemax because I'm not sure how accurate those type of software are (at least for DCA) since Carsland opened. The park levels of 2/3 that are being reported by touring plans on the weekly updates are inaccurate. The mousewait app is showing 7/8 actual attendance on those days (I think it's based on how long the waits are).

This is a very good point.
          I know that the apps we used (both free and paid), were really off the mark for a majority of the time. I feel they just cannot accurately predict much since CL opened and the economy tanked (yes, a down economy = busier DLR).

Comment

• greenalfonzo
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2011

I strongly disagree about riding the railroad first thing. It's best to walk straight from the gate all the was down main street to the central hub for your first visit. That way you get the full impact and excitement payoff that Walt intended as the castle gets closer and closer. You will also be in position to head straight to your most anticipated land & ride, since by this point you should be way too pumped and excited to want to do anything else but get right to going on some rides. Save the RR for an afternoon break once your legs need a rest.
            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

• Dustinius
              New MiceChatter
              • Oct 2012

Do you line up at the gate before opening or do you have access to main street?
              As for the weather and the lines, they are both completely out of my control, as are refurbs etc. I am sure I will have a blast regardless! If it rains on our parade, at least it will dim down the crowds somewhat.
              I also heard that there is no such thing as the off season anymore. And I would assume that with valentines day and mardi GRAS In the same week, this would only entice more people with seasons passes to come. I'm guessing that it will not be a huge week for tourists, but SoCalians. The Monday before presidents day is Lincoln's birthday, is this a stat holiday? Do kids get that Monday off school?
              thanks for all your suggestions!

Comment

• DrFink
                The doctor is in
                • Aug 2012

Don't rush yourself the first day and run wild. Like swampymarsh mentioned I would also plan on seeing fireworks the first day. The main reasoning is just to get them out of the way so you won't have to rush back later in the week to try and catch them.

Honestly, I would just wing it. Take your time and don't feel in a hurry. You have 5 days and it will be off season and after the holiday rush. I had a 5-day park hopper in March and I had an amazing amount of space and time. I got to ride just about everything and I even rode a lot of things 2-3 times if not more.
                As far as California Adventure goes I would utilize the beauty of the park hopper. What I mean by that is, don't be afraid to hop parks. Don't just try and do one day for DCA and every other day at Disneyland. Hop back and forth as you want. Utilize the magic morning for DCA as well. Do not waste it. The reason being you have the entire park at your disposal instead of just certain areas like you do at Disneyland. Catch rides like Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Soarin' Over California, and Radiator Springs Racers while the lines are shorter than they will be the rest of the day. Trust me... a 10-15min wait (if not less) beats a 60-90min wait.
                Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

• Dustinius
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Oct 2012

You guys are amazingly helpful. Thank you! So glad I found this site!

Comment

• swampymarsh
                    Under that tree again!
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Dustinius View Post
                    Do you line up at the gate before opening or do you have access to main street?
                    It's not sure thing but usually Rope Drops take place. Upto 30 minutes before opening the gates are open and you can go down Main Street.

The Monday before presidents day is Lincoln's birthday, is this a stat holiday? Do kids get that Monday off school?
                    thanks for all your suggestions!
                    Instead of having muliple days to celebrate, Presidents day consolidates them.
                    Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• smartlabelprint
                      MiceChatter
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                      Don't rush yourself the first day and run wild. Like swampymarsh mentioned I would also plan on seeing fireworks the first day. The main reasoning is just to get them out of the way so you won't have to rush back later in the week to try and catch them.Honestly, I would just wing it. Take your time and don't feel in a hurry. You have 5 days and it will be off season and after the holiday rush. I had a 5-day park hopper in March and I had an amazing amount of space and time. I got to ride just about everything and I even rode a lot of things 2-3 times if not more. As far as California Adventure goes I would utilize the beauty of the park hopper. What I mean by that is, don't be afraid to hop parks. Don't just try and do one day for DCA and every other day at Disneyland. Hop back and forth as you want. Utilize the magic morning for DCA as well. Do not waste it. The reason being you have the entire park at your disposal instead of just certain areas like you do at Disneyland. Catch rides like Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Soarin' Over California, and Radiator Springs Racers while the lines are shorter than they will be the rest of the day. Trust me... a 10-15min wait (if not less) beats a 60-90min wait.
                      Unless dustinus is staying at DLR the park hopper magic morning entry that comes with the ticket is only available to use in DL. Someone please correct me f I'm wrong.

Comment

• DrFink
                        The doctor is in
                        • Aug 2012

Unless dustinus is staying at DLR the park hopper magic morning entry that comes with the ticket is only available to use in DL. Someone please correct me f I'm wrong.
                        I guess I should have specified that bit. If you are eligible for both magic morning privileges don't let them go to waste.
                        Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

• swampymarsh
                          Under that tree again!
                          • Nov 2011

That is correct. Magic Mornings are for ticket holders with 2 or more days and you get one MM per ticket. They are held on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• Dustinius
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2012

So I can't use my mm for Cali? Only for dl?

Comment

• swampymarsh
                              Under that tree again!
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Dustinius View Post
                              So I can't use my mm for Cali? Only for dl?
                              That is correct.

Resort guests get Extra Magic Hours as a perk. These conicide with MM in DL, and on the other days are held in DCA. Resort guests can use EMH on any day of thier stay, check in to check out day, provided they have a ticket or pass for that day.
                              Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
                                Seasick
                                • Oct 2007

If you can manage a late night, take advantage of Sunday evening, one of the quietest times in the park in my experience.

On a recent Sunday night I was able to do attractions like Splash Mountain and Pirates as walk-ons, and was able to watch Fantasmic with no wait and no crowds (second showing, over near the Tom Sawyer rafts dock, plenty of open space).
                                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X