X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GAC abuse update?

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
    The solution's simplest answer is to just not allow being disabled to be a reason to get to the front of the line. They can still enter through the exit gate, Disney can still follow current laws and not have to come up with some system of proof, the only difference is that when you get in line you have to wait until some "marker" in the normal line catches up to where you would have been at when you entered. This completely removes the incentive for the cheaters.
    That seems like a lot more fuss and bother than it's worth. It would also lead to congestion around the exits. If there's any entity on Earth who knows the best way to move the maximum number people from A to B in the minimum time, it's the Disney Company. The system they've got now isn't perfect, but it's fairly simple and it works for them. If the worst thing that happens to them in a day is someone getting bent out of shape because NO FAIR! then they're having a good day.

Expediency will usually win the day.

Comment

Actually,

I think you can still get rid of all special access passes. I belive Disney's new ride scheduling will allow you to schedule the experiance in advance. Therefore, you can choose to wait in line the normal way, or if you can't due to a disability, simply schedule it.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
        Due to evacuation limitations, you are now asking them to do something that is unsafe.
        Waiting at the exit is unsafe? Wouldn't they be closer to the exit in event of emergency?

Originally posted by bisforbrittney View Post
        i agree with point you are making. however, if they were able to implement a line system that works for the fastpass system, then surely they could think of a way to create a HA line that wouldn't interfere with evacuation situations.

Thank you.

Also, my friends fiance is legally blind ( Has maybe 15% vision ) and is fully capable of standing in line with everyone else. We're not talking about a wheelchair, a scooter, walker, etc. She could stand and yet she uses her GAC as a fastpass for her and up to six friends. That's FIVE perfectly abled people being fastpassed into a ride because one legitimate GAC holder is blind. ...but can stand. Come on, do the math on this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          This. Fair for everyone.
          Agreed!
          For the love of Disney....:yea:

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
            Also, my friends fiance is legally blind ( Has maybe 15% vision ) and is fully capable of standing in line with everyone else. We're not talking about a wheelchair, a scooter, walker, etc. She could stand and yet she uses her GAC as a fastpass for her and up to six friends. That's FIVE perfectly abled people being fastpassed into a ride because one legitimate GAC holder is blind. ...but can stand. Come on, do the math on this scenario.

This goes back to what we were saying earlier, people abusing the system! It was never meant to be for any and all disabilities!! But that is how people are using it now!!
            But I guess it is like everything else in the country (food stamps, medicaid), started off as a way to help people that truly need help and now people who do not need help just take advantage of it!
            Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

Comment

My daughter has a problem going up/down stairs and is too heavy to carry now, we are issued as GAC that says no stairs. The only ride that it affects is Big Thunder(we don't do the subs anymore she's fallen too many times)so we use the exit for that one. I am one of the people who doesn't want to abuse the system. I have a cousin who has type 1 diabetes who gets a GAC because he doesn't want to be in line and miss a meal and have his blood sugar go to low. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I have type 1 diabetes too, and I go to Disney all the time and that has NEVER happened to me. People just want to feel like they got something special that not everyone has, I think that is why people abuse the GACs.
              Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
              Tour the Walt Disney Studios
              Work for Disney

Comment

And that is how it should be! I do the same! As i have mentioned before, my son has Autism. He struggles in lines that are long and crowded. But there are rides that i will not use the pass for. If i know the line moves quickly, i can keep him busy long enough to go thru the regular line like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Notorious1 View Post
                  And that is how it should be! I do the same! As i have mentioned before, my son has Autism. He struggles in lines that are long and crowded. But there are rides that i will not use the pass for. If i know the line moves quickly, i can keep him busy long enough to go thru the regular line like everybody else.

My son has a problem with noises, space and waiting(he's 12) we do the same thing. We just try to time our rides so we don't wait too long.
                  Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
                  Tour the Walt Disney Studios
                  Work for Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Notorious1 View Post
                    Good going. My daughter has autism too and she can decide when she may need to use the GAC card or if she can wait in the regular line. It give her some control and lets her use her self as the decider for use of the card. She uses it for about 50% of attractions we ride on.
                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                      Good going. My daughter has autism too and she can decide when she may need to use the GAC card or if she can wait in the regular line. It give her some control and lets her use her self as the decider for use of the card. She uses it for about 50% of attractions we ride on.

That is actually a very good way to do it! I will have to try this....well, as soon as my son can understand a little better.

Comment

Bayouguy, you just raised a responsible human being. Thank you. I wish everyone could.

Comment

My sister has autism and gets the GAC when we go during summer or on a holiday when it will be crowded because it makes her very uncomfortable to be squished against so many people in long lines. It really irks me when people can't honor the system.

Comment

my sister is mentally delayed (which is the proper term for it) and load noises and crowded place sends her into a panic attack. we were standing in the regular queue for the haunted mansion and she about flipped out becaues it was so crowded. we get one for her when we go and now that ive been diagnosed with severe anxiety i will have to get one as well. going into crowded areas sends me into panic attacks as well i cant even stand in a crowded aisle at walmart without pushing someone out of the way(most likely my husband because he stands too close to me) to get out.

http://www.facebook.com/DisneylandGirlsPage

Comment

I actually used my first GAC at the park on our last trip. Was playing around with my kid on the way to ToT. Jumped off those stairs on the side of the Animation building and whoops... landed wrong and broke my heel! Yeah, that hurt. Tried crutches for about an hour the next day, but there was no way I could make it all day on those. We finally opted for the wheelchair. Was surprisingly easy to roll around with that thing. Never used one. I only needed help up hills.

The GAC was very helpful, but nothing amazing. You still have to wait. I definitely saw the abuse first hand though. Whatever... I've never let GAC abuse get under my skin. It's unfortunate though that people would abuse a system for the disabled though.

Comment

The people that abuse the GAC that get me are the ones that have no tolerance for the kids that actually need a GAC. Last month my friend took her daughter who is very "handsie, non verbal" its how she communicates. The person in front of her was standing with his weight all on his one "braced bad leg" complaining about her child and not being able to calm down as they waited for Dumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by oohykitten View Post
                                  The people that abuse the GAC that get me are the ones that have no tolerance for the kids that actually need a GAC. Last month my friend took her daughter who is very "handsie, non verbal" its how she communicates. The person in front of her was standing with his weight all on his one "braced bad leg" complaining about her child and not being able to calm down as they waited for Dumbo.
                                  Just a reminder that all conditions are not what they may seem; I can rest full weight on my screwed-and-plated ankle with no problem. It hurts right when I take the weight OFF after standing on it. Thus I can stand with my weight on it for a period with no problem, but you will see me wince when I start moving again, then limp for awhile until the pain goes away. Someone seeing me might think "Oh, she's faking, look at her, she had her weight on that leg and now she forgot to keep limping". The 'person in front' may have a similar situation.

Not justifying that person's remarks at all, they were rude. But just a gentle reminder that all things are not what they seem at first glance.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by numberfour View Post
                                    my sister is mentally delayed (which is the proper term for it) and load noises and crowded place sends her into a panic attack. we were standing in the regular queue for the haunted mansion and she about flipped out becaues it was so crowded. we get one for her when we go and now that ive been diagnosed with severe anxiety i will have to get one as well. going into crowded areas sends me into panic attacks as well i cant even stand in a crowded aisle at walmart without pushing someone out of the way(most likely my husband because he stands too close to me) to get out.
                                    Using the correct term has always been a moving target. I have an adult autistic son, and I know he doesn't like being called retarded, he's actually very bright. But back to my point. In decades past terms like moron, mongoloid idiot, and crippled were accepted in common use. Then bullies and the unfeeling among us started using the terms abusively, usually toward people to whom the terms did not technically apply and they took on very negative connotations. As a result society searched for more acceptable euphemisms. Cripples became handicapped, then handy-capable. Mongoloid idiots now suffer from Downs syndrome.

I think if we hear people using terms that we feel are outdated or insensitive, we need to put our effrontery on hold and look at the motivation of the speaker. If the use is derogatory, that's one thing; but if it is positive or neutral, then we need to give them some slack in dealing with a verbal landscape that is becoming increasingly politically correct and littered with cultural booby traps.
                                    Disney Fan in the Great White North

Comment

One of my favorite lines from NBC's The Office

Michael Scott: [in regards to Oscar being gay] I would have never called him that if I knew. You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded. And I consider Oscar a friend.

I've been to WDW more than DL. I don't remember seeing any problems in DL. If I see someone that "looks healthy" using a GAC, I don't think anything of it. It is the people who don't act like it is normal that make me mad. At HM in WDW, I saw a group of kids trying to convince someone in a wheelchair (their grandmother?) that she wanted to ride that so they could skip the line. I saw someone on a bus at WDW who had a scooter, and couldn't park it correctly as the driver asked, so she lifted the front up and physically moved it.

I don't want their park experience to be lessened by using the GAC, but one idea would be to change it from a party of 6, to list who will accompany the GAC. If its a family of 4, list who those people are. It might reduce abuse when that family is part of a larger group (like a sports team/cheerleading team/band/etc) so 6 people use it because its available.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                        And I don't think that cheating on GACs (or other little 'cheats' to get accommodations meant for the truly disabled) will ever be enough to provoke people to lobby for change in the ADA. I don't think the truly disabled want to have to provide proof of disability every time they need assistance, nor do I think that the non-disabled want to lobby for change and risk being perceived as non-caring.
                                        THAT. That line right there.
                                        This is why nothing will be done about the issue, at least not on a federal level. It just doesn't happen often enough for ppl to cry fowl. It is all happening at themeparks.
                                        And Disney won't spur the change b/c as you said, they will look like the bad guy!

I still say in a "few" years that the problem will be solved. There will be a Disney-invented NextGen system for disabled ppl. It will be layed upon the NextGen that everyone gets when they purchase tickets. Each Disabled person will be tracked as we will all be tracked when in the park. CMs will have tablets everywhere. They will know you are coming before you even arrive b/c all guests will be wearing the NextGen bracelets. You will recieve a pager like "pass" and it will make you wait to the side. After this comes to fruition, the only benefit will be not having to wait in the queue - anyone who wants to can wait anywhere they want (which is the base-line for NextGen - we will all use it this way unless we purchase a package on top of it to get us to the FOL).

It will become a less desireable thing to abuse and we will all stop posting these types of things on forums and go back to other topics b/c we will all see that anyone using the GAC on their bracelet would be crazy to actually WANT to experience the parks that way.

Anyway, that is my near-Furturist outlook for the weekend. This still leaves scooter abuse in the mix and that is not going away. ever.
                                        Last edited by JMazz; 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I don't mind telling them a bit of my disability. I know I said similar things on other threads. I try to always carry something one me at all times stating my illness , like my doctor's notes. I do not like having to tell to much because for me it's to personal at times.
                                          I hate to think that with the NextGen I will have to scheduled when I get it pain, sick or suddenly need to leave the park.
                                          Gotta love progress.
                                          Little and broken, but still good.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X