• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elsa
    socal native
    • Jan 2010

[Question] New ticket scam?

Last night as we were leaving the park after closing (8:15), a couple of kids came up to us to ask us (and others around us) for our ticket stubs. We waved them off and said we didn't have any to give, which we didn't. They moved on the the next group behind us and we heard them claim to be collecting them for their principal at school. As we walked back to the car we then tried to figure out what the possible benefit could be to collecting the tickets.

What we came up with was that it was a scam to try and get people to accidentally give up multi-day tickets that still had visits left on them.

Anyone else have an idea?
  • Poisonedapples
    Sock Puppet
    • Jan 2011

Re: New ticket scam?

well if you felt it was scam.Why didn't you report the kids to security?

Comment

• Stormy
      Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Originally posted by elsa View Post
      Last night as we were leaving the park after closing (8:15), a couple of kids came up to us to ask us (and others around us) for our ticket stubs. We waved them off and said we didn't have any to give, which we didn't. They moved on the the next group behind us and we heard them claim to be collecting them for their principal at school. As we walked back to the car we then tried to figure out what the possible benefit could be to collecting the tickets.

What we came up with was that it was a scam to try and get people to accidentally give up multi-day tickets that still had visits left on them.

Anyone else have an idea?

Shoot, anything from it being true to the kids being pickpockets & trying to get close enough to pick a wallet from a pocket or grab a purse (something along those lines almost happened to me in Vegas, luckily I was wearing my purse across my body). Can't think of a reason why a school principal would want ticket stubs but I supposed weirder things have happened. Are there even really ticket 'stubs' per se, or just used tickets? The last time we were there our tickets were plastic.

Probably just some doofus kids thinking they could get a valid ticket from someone by accident, like you said.

Don't know what security could have done other than tell them to leave (if they were on Disney property). It's not illegal just to ask for ticket stubs. Annoying, yes. Illegal, probably not.
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• bummerkit
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2011

Trying to use them for extra fastpasses?

Comment

• JM Disneyland
          MiceChatter
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by bummerkit View Post
          Trying to use them for extra fastpasses?
          This is the real reason.

Comment

• DannyLand
            MiceChatter
            • Nov 2009

u said after closing? well, DL is closed so you can't really use those tickets anymore.

Comment

• explodingboy
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
              Probably just some doofus kids thinking they could get a valid ticket from someone by accident, like you said.
              I agree with Stormy. Growing up I have seen a few people I know try a method like this at both Knott's and Disneyland just simply as a way of getting in for free when people are leaving. It's silly, plain and simple. Sure, there could be some deeper thing to it but I feel like it was probably just dumb kids being dumb and I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a new ticket scam.

Comment

• wiigirl
                MiceChatter
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DannyLand View Post
                u said after closing? well, DL is closed so you can't really use those tickets anymore.
                Good point!
                For the love of Disney....:yea:

Comment

• swampymarsh
                  Under that tree again!
                  • Nov 2011

Being that it was after closing, if they were handed single day or fully used hoppers the tickets would be nothing but souvenires.

If the parks were still open they could get tickets and try to use them for entry or to get extra FPs.

I just want to add that I have had older kids / younger teens asking me if I would give them my left over tickets and also offering money for my tickets if days were left. Why would a 14 year old be offering me $20 for unused days on my park hopper? It felt very third worldly where adults send kids to beg, reminding me of kids selling candy in Mexico.
                  Last edited by swampymarsh; 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• fifthrider
                    Banned User
                    • Oct 2008

If it feels like a scam, your spider sense is probably tingling for a reason.

Comment

• Druggas
                      Hooterville, USA
                      • Feb 2005

You could upgrade those for an AP.
                      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• swampymarsh
                        Under that tree again!
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                        Maybe, and also only if a ticket booth is still open, which would not happen shortly after this.
                        Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• Malcon10t
                          Minion
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                          Bingo! But with all the questions about when you entered, where you entered, etc, it would be hard.
                          If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

• DannyLand
                            MiceChatter
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                            Bingo! But with all the questions about when you entered, where you entered, etc, it would be hard.
                            Why would the ticket booths be open 15 mins after the park has closed? Disney tries to clear their areas after closing so I wouldn't find that possible.
                            And you cant really upgrade your ticket if it already expired. and they check the hand stamps. etc.
                            so who knows?

Comment

• Stormy
                              Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Interestingly enough, I checked around the interwebz & found any number of sites 'advising' people to stand outside Disney and ask for 'ticket stubs'. Apparently the idea is to take a multiple day hopper 'stub' to the ticket booths and attempt to add days. The thought being that it didn't matter if all days had been used as long as you took it to the booth 'the same day'.

Being as this is something I know nothing about (as I've never tried to add days to a hopper 'legally'), I would assume that you would have to add days before the last day was used. Or at the very least, if it was the last day, do it inside the park, like at City Hall. I wouldn't think you would be able to take a used up ticket to the booths and just say 'add X days'. Right?

Mods: If you feel this post gives out inappropriate info re; a potential way of cheating Disney, please feel free to delete or modify it. That is certainly NOT my intention.
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• swampymarsh
                                Under that tree again!
                                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                Being as this is something I know nothing about (as I've never tried to add days to a hopper 'legally'), I would assume that you would have to add days before the last day was used. Or at the very least, if it was the last day, do it inside the park, like at City Hall. I wouldn't think you would be able to take a used up ticket to the booths and just say 'add X days'. Right?
                                If you bought a ticket you can upgrade from what you paid to the price of a PH upto 5 days in length or AP. You do this at the ticket booths. As mentioned above the CM will verify that the ticket is yours by asking question such as where it was originally purchased and how it was used.

Why would the ticket booths be open 15 mins after the park has closed? Disney tries to clear their areas after closing so I wouldn't find that possible.
                                And you cant really upgrade your ticket if it already expired. and they check the hand stamps. etc.
                                so who knows?
                                Usually a booth on each side of the Esplanade is open about 30 minutes after the last park closes.
                                Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• elsa
                                  socal native
                                  • Jan 2010

Interesting responses. I would have never thought of the AP upgrade. We certainly couldn't fathom why they would be collecting tickets.

They stopped us after we were about 10 feet out of the turnstiles. Two boys about 6-10 in age, one younger, one older, looking like brothers. Our first assumption might be they were looking to get different tickets to have as souvenirs, maybe there were different characters featured on different tickets and they wanted them all (?), but as we walked through DTD and were still chatting about it, we arrived at the ticket scam idea. This idea came to us since we had recently read the thread on the special 5-6 day ticket turnstile (which when I have gone has not been crowded once). My thought was since one method was being clamped down on, people, being people, were finding a new way to circumvent the rules.

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
                                  well if you felt it was scam.Why didn't you report the kids to security?
                                  It wasn't until we were past the point of no return (baggage check) that this idea occurred to us. And by then I doubt I would recognize which kids they were.

It was after closing.

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                                  Maybe, and also only if a ticket booth is still open, which would not happen shortly after this.
                                  The booths were still open and there were still lines. It was only about 15 minutes past closing. I think they stay open for an hour after the park closes. But I could be wrong on that account.

Comment

• Stormy
                                    Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                                    If you bought a ticket you can upgrade from what you paid to the price of a PH upto 5 days in length or AP. You do this at the ticket booths. As mentioned above the CM will verify that the ticket is yours by asking question such as where it was originally purchased and how it was used.

Usually a booth on each side of the Esplanade is open about 30 minutes after the last park closes.

Sounds like mystery solved then. The kids the OP saw were trying to get used tickets to add days. Sounds like CMs questioning people trying to add days about purchase & usage would stop them from doing it. Hopefully this is a time where the CMs all abide by Disney policy and question everyone. I'm afraid since the info seems to be around the 'webz that it must work at least sometimes, or did in the past.

In a way it's good to know this. It's not likely I would have given my used hopper to anyone anyway (and especially if they started questioning me as to where I got it, etc) since I generally keep them as keepsakes. Now I know I'll never do it!

Comment

• DannyLand
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Nov 2009

Ok problem solved.
                                      Those kids shouldn't be doing that
                                      but also Disney shouldn't be having their tickets overpriced

if these tickets where cheaper then we wouldn't be in this mess.
                                      BRING BACK FREE TICKETS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND VOLUNTEERING!!!!!

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Ok problem solved.
                                        Those kids shouldn't be doing that
                                        but also Disney shouldn't be having their tickets overpriced

if these tickets where cheaper then we wouldn't be in this mess.
                                        BRING BACK FREE TICKETS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND VOLUNTEERING!!!!!
                                        Partly right -- the tickets are overpriced. But no matter how much cheaper they, scammers will still be scammin'.

And NO to free birthday tickets. They just turn the park into an even more tightly packed sardine can than it already is.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X