Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starbucks coming to Disney parks? I hate their Coffee - who's with me?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starbucks coming to Disney parks? I hate their Coffee - who's with me?

Originally posted by mainejeff View Post
    Not very definitive considering that Kirkland (Costco brand) coffee won.

DD is East Coast.......Starbucks is West Coast.......it's that simple. I guarantee you that DD would be more popular at the Florida parks than Starbucks. I'm from New England and love DD.......I really only go to Starbucks during Nov/Dec because I love their holiday drinks (Eggnog Latte, etc). I find it very curious that in this day and age we don't have ANY Dunkin Donuts in CA. Unlike some, I happen to think that they would do very well here.
    There used to be more Dunkin Donuts in CA. Now there are hardly any. As I mentioned before the big chain donut shops don't tend to do too well in CA compared to the independent shops, who really make a superior product at least donut-wise.

And thanks to those who posted those links. Whether I was right or wrong isn't really the point so much as I like to learn all that I can about coffee. This really isn't a contest so much as learning about a product that if you really look into it is as complex as wine tasting or things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
      Chicory coffee it will be for sure, hopefully next Feb or March (fingers crossed, still planning). Unfortunately, I don't think Jazz Kitchen does gluten free beignet so none for me. Tell ya what...you enjoy an extra one for me, ok?
      Are we twins? haha I'm gluten free also. I've yet to ever enjoy a beignet or a monte cristo sandwich for that matter. I think the combo of gluten, cheese and the fried factor would send me into digestive destruction.

Facebook me!
      Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
        There is no accounting for taste. Although it may be helpful to know what beans are used (I'd like to try the ones that are gleaned from cat poop) and how they are processed in the hope of recreating what someone likes, what actually appeals to a person's taste buds cannot be justified. Rest assured that the mouse made a business decision, not a taste decision. That being said, SB is fine with me, and I know what I'm getting. My "Triple Venti Cappacino" is the same (with slight variations on the foaminess - a matter of taste that they can conform to) at each and every SB I visit.

WARNING! OT PORTION: Coffee preferances are like beer preferances. Some people claim to actually prefer Budweiser ... personally I can't stand it. I do prefer the "stronger", more flavorful ales and microbrews. Like beer, coffee is an aquired taste. And while there are many beers that I like there are many that are seldom as available as others. It has gotten better over the years, with fewer and fewer places offering only Bud and their watered-down brethren.

Actually, I've tried cat poop coffee. I had a few sips of a shared Arabica Sumatra Kopi Luwak at a coffee tasting a while back. It really was pretty darn good!

But not good enough to pay $60.00 for 2 oz.!!!!!!!
        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I wish they would have used The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, considering how popular they are in Southern California (and I think a majority of their non-coffee products are superior to Starbucks), but Starbucks makes more sense at a national level.
          ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME :vogue:

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
            Are we twins? haha I'm gluten free also. I've yet to ever enjoy a beignet or a monte cristo sandwich for that matter. I think the combo of gluten, cheese and the fried factor would send me into digestive destruction.

I have distant memories of Monte Cristos from back before I was diagnosed, LOL. I'm lucky that my Celiac problems don't include lactose intolerance, that's a real bummer for you!

I know there are recipes online for both GF beignet & a GF monte cristo. I also saw 'somewhere' that BB will do a GF monte cristo if you give them enough advance notice. I'm actually thinking of trying this next time. But I know you 'get it' when I say I'm afraid to. The last thing we want to do is risk getting 'glutened' at Disney, right?
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

anyone who knows coffe knows that illy coffee is the best (or at least best brand name coffee)... though it's much more expensive than starbucks and dunkin donuts

Comment

starbucks is already located inside DCA if anyone did not know. it is inside the fiddler, fifer and practical cafe. I think it is a great addition to the park and i love their coffee! AND I am so very happy they have put on in at DCA

Comment

Originally posted by mainejeff View Post
                  I find it very curious that in this day and age we don't have ANY Dunkin Donuts in CA. Unlike some, I happen to think that they would do very well here.
                  They were well on their way. It was a big "do" here when it arrived (Sin City)
                  ...but then that pesky thing happened, called the "Great Resession".

I, too, think that they could compete. While I am not a huge coffee snob, I get it (I was just never into their SB culture). To me DD just seems straight forward and easier and less crowded than SB. I think whatever it is that makes DD so easy to reach would work very well in Cali for those who need coffee without the SB drama.

Anytime I go into SB there seems to be a fury of disorganization and a frenzied craziness, couple this with the messed up names for products and names for sizes, too many choices/flavors/products, and in-your-face marketing, it is too much.

DD - I am in & out, everyone gets what they want, no fuss no muss, no "new" culture or names or products to learn. We are all happy and can get on with our day without all the SB drama.
                  ...so yeah, I am certain DD would do well as an alt. for SB in Cali!!!

Comment

Yeah, I can never track the names for the sizes of the cups. I still order a "large" or a "small" and they can call it whatever they want.
                    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

The cup size criticism is always baffling to me. You can go into any Starbucks and order a small, medium, and large and you'll get just that.

It's almost as baffling as the price criticism. I always hear people saying a cup of coffee at Starbucks is $5. A cup of coffee is usually between $1.50 and $1.75, not far off of other brands.

If you don't like the flavor or "commercialization" (which is funny coming from Disney fans), fine....but don't make up facts to support your criticisms. (I, for one, don't care for the flavor of Starbucks coffee either......)

Comment

Originally posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
                        The cup size criticism is always baffling to me. You can go into any Starbucks and order a small, medium, and large and you'll get just that.
                        Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
                        Yeah, I can never track the names for the sizes of the cups. I still order a "large" or a "small" and they can call it whatever they want.
                        *le sigh*... I still get "Do you want a/an ________?" after telling them the common term. This kills me. I always reply with "I'll just take the biggest one you have" AND I still get "That's a/an _______?"

I also detest the attitude I get sometimes (most of the time) for not ordering "properly". Are you kidding me? When you went to Star Bucks College program, they de-programed you, and now you don't know what a small is or what a large is???????

This is one of the elements that make up SB culture that I cannot stand. I do not want to be school in their terminology. In fact I just don't want their terminology, period. Especiallllly at 6 in the morning! I know it appeals to a broad slice of the population - getting all fancey-pants with the names and allowing one to feel like they are in on it too. Nope, when I need something, I don't have time for their dictated menu. ugh.

If someone loves it. Great. I get it. That's how I am with Disneyland. But I will go out of my way to DD and avoid SB when I need some coffee.

Comment

I'm glad I haven't gotten any attitude for my lack of SB terminology - I'd probably hand their attitude back at them. Any time of day.

I'm glad there is a coffee place, of any drinkable version, placed on my way out of the park. It's harder for me to get that final cup at Disneyland somehow. But the Fiddler Cafe is conveniently close to the entrance/exit.
                          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Well forget getting your morning coffee there as you enter DCA. The line is always way too long! (go figure....haha) I just head to that coffee stand across from The Little Mermaid. IMHO its okay and better than waiting in a ridiculous line.
                            [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Comment

Originally posted by PiecesOfEight View Post

It's almost as baffling as the price criticism. I always hear people saying a cup of coffee at Starbucks is $5. A cup of coffee is usually between $1.50 and $1.75, not far off of other brands.

If you don't like the flavor or "commercialization" (which is funny coming from Disney fans), fine....but don't make up facts to support your criticisms. (I, for one, don't care for the flavor of Starbucks coffee either......)
                              LOL this. My grandma thinks starbucks is sooo expensive and the mom and pops are cheaper...In her city's local shop where I paid $5 a few years back for a medium green tea frapp...She's crazy
                              In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee: I think it is an acquired taste, or one of those things you have to grow up with, much like Marmite or Vegemite. If it's part of the daily culture for you it's yummy; if not it's vile.

In terms of coffee: aside from Cafe du Monde/Community for NOS, it would be really nice if they could have come up with some local or California based coffee brands to promote, the way they promoted Boudin's etc. I know people recognize Starbucks and all, but it would have been nice to expose visitors to some homegrown local fare there...and the coffee drinkers here have mentioned some good CA candidates.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 07:30 PM ----------

You have seriously made it Christmas in November for me. THANK YOU!!!! I think I am going to Cost Plus/World Market in the neeeear future...
                                Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                                  RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee: I think it is an acquired taste, or one of those things you have to grow up with, much like Marmite or Vegemite. If it's part of the daily culture for you it's yummy; if not it's vile.

I'm a convert in Sin City. And b/c I had the power to "convert" everyone in my dept., I did. And it was for almost selfish reasons! SB gets on my nerves (as seen above) and *I* had to get the coffee for a month. I did notice that ppl from the mid-west and east coast were less vocal about the SB/DD difference.

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
                                  I'm glad I haven't gotten any attitude for my lack of SB terminology - I'd probably hand their attitude back at them. Any time of day.

I'm glad there is a coffee place, of any drinkable version, placed on my way out of the park. It's harder for me to get that final cup at Disneyland somehow. But the Fiddler Cafe is conveniently close to the entrance/exit.

Ya know, come to think of it I haven't been to SB in 6 years. Maybe they are nicer now? Maybe it is a local snobby thing for their staff members when I did go there? What side of the country/world are you on? In general I get better service in SoCal than I do at home and I haven't been to a SB in Cali before. Since the bad attitudes happened at every SB I went to in this area, I assumed it was a SB thing. It could very well be a local thing. Interesting.

Comment

Starbucks' coffee is way too bitter for me. Undrinkable.
                                    There's a 7-11 at Katella and Harbor with fresh coffee all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JMazz View Post
                                      I'm a convert in Sin City. And b/c I had the power to "convert" everyone in my dept., I did. And it was for almost selfish reasons! SB gets on my nerves (as seen above) and *I* had to get the coffee for a month. I did notice that ppl from the mid-west and east coast were less vocal about the SB/DD difference.
                                      I had NO idea they had DD in your city! Wow. I didn't think the chain went that far west.

It's probably like the old pizza debate; different parts of the country have different ways of preparing pizza, and each region hates what the others do. East Coast seems to have less coffee chains in general, compared to the West: NYC just got Tim Horton's in the past few years and I think they JUST opened the first Coffee Bean. There's no Peet's; no Tanner's...so they're used to having very different coffee than out here, perhaps.
                                      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Dunkin' Donuts is in California now?
                                        DisneyTwins
                                        Since May 2003

Comment

• Re: Starbucks coming to Disney parks? I hate their Coffee - who's with me?

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                                          Dunkin' Donuts is in California now?
                                          Only a few. There are a lot in Vegas and Pheonix, so expect more.
                                          Be Cool Stay in School!
                                          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X