This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Thanksgiving Day

I have never been on Thanksgiving Day before and am going this year with three people who have never been to the park. I was just wondering if anybody had info on how busy it has been in the past as we will be trying to do both parks that day. Thank you!
    Goonies Never Say Die

Re: Thanksgiving Day

I was at Disneyland on Thanksgiving day in 2008 and after the experience I swore I would never step foot in the park on a holiday again. The place was an absolute madhouse. The lines were super long, the park was jammed full, the shows (Fantasmic and fireworks) were jammed, it took forever to get food anywhere, etc..

Granted that is my personal experience and I'm sure not all holidays are the same, but members of my family who live in Anaheim have also been in the park on Thanksgiving and they told us after the fact that if we would have asked them about being in the park on Thanksgiving they would have tried to talk us out of it.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

No offense meant by this toward you doc.

A lot of people mistake that days that are family holidays or days where most of the nation does non theme park things should be quiet days in the park. Thanksgiving, Black Friday, 4th of July and Superbowl Sunday are all very very busy days.

If you want to go, plan for and be prepared to see large crowds, big waits for everything including getting into restrooms. Show up extra early so you are there when the gates open and rope drops to get on rides when the waits are still short. Collect FastPasses like crazy. Plan to to stay late as the crowds will slowly start leaving after the fireworks.
      Be Cool Stay in School!
      Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
        No offense meant by this toward you doc.

A lot of people mistake that days that are family holidays or days where most of the nation does non theme park things should be quiet days in the park. Thanksgiving, Black Friday, 4th of July and Superbowl Sunday are all very very busy days.

If you want to go, plan for and be prepared to see large crowds, big waits for everything including getting into restrooms. Show up extra early so you are there when the gates open and rope drops to get on rides when the waits are still short. Collect FastPasses like crazy. Plan to to stay late as the crowds will slowly start leaving after the fireworks.
        No offense taken at all. We were incredibly naive when we chose Thanksgiving for our trip that year. We had heard somewhere that Disneyland wasn't that crowded on Thanksgiving and we fell for it. Out of all the days of our 3-day pass the slowest day was the day before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day and Black Friday were insane.

Comment

The place is a nightmare on Thanksgiving day. And the day after that too. If you could you should change your plans.

ETA -- I jus read your reply. You have a 3 day pass. So that should make things easier. If you just had a one day park hopper I would say to not go. But 3 days should be more manageable. Yet it will still be packed.

Comment

In the late 70s-early 80s all the women and younger kids in my family would traditionally hit Disneyland on Super Bowl Sunday while the Dads were watching the game. I remember it as being really uncrowded and full of just women & kids.

When did that change?
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

For the past 7 years, we traditionally went on Thanksgiving day (and would eat Thanksgiving dinner at Goofy's Kitchen), Black Friday and then Saturday. Last year was our last DLR Thanksgiving. We will never do this again.

We live in NorCal. The first time we went it wasn't too bad but my opinion is that it has gotten progressively more and more busy each year. I think we came up with, if you don't mind being within 7" or less from someone at any given time then youd be fine. I'm going to say expect long wait times for rides and food.

This year the first day we are at DLR is friday the 16th hoping this is early enough to beat the crowds but late enough for the holiday layovers which i think are completed tomorrow. Good Luck with your holiday journey!

Comment

Originally posted by UnderCvrDisneyGeek View Post
                I think we came up with, if you don't mind being within 7" or less from someone at any given time then youd be fine. I'm going to say expect long wait times for rides and food.
                That's about it.

I remember trying to walk through Tomorrowland on Thanksgiving and being sandwiched in between people so close that it felt like I was in a sardine can.
                The wait times for rides were insane. We even waited about 45min for It's a Small World. We waited a good 70-75min for the Finding Nemo Submarines and Indiana Jones and about 35-40min for Pirates of the Caribbean. On my trip last month the longest we waited for Pirates was a little less than 10min. The DCA waits were just as bad. Almost 90min for Toy Story Mania (my dad rode California Screamin' twice and still finished before my mom and I got on TSM) and well over an hour for Soarin' Over California. The shortest wait times in DCA were for Monster's Inc. and Grizzly River Run (only because it was a bit chilly outside).

The average restaurant wait was just as bad even if you weren't going to a sit-down place. We waited in line at Pacific Wharf in DCA to get bread bowls for about 30min and there were absolutely no tables available. We had to walk toward It's a Bug's Land just to find a bench to eat at. We saw people sitting on the ground with their trays because there were no spots open.
                And as someone else mentioned, the restroom waits... if you have a weaker bladder and have to make frequent pit stops I wouldn't suggest going to the park on a holiday. The lines for restrooms, even the men's room, were all long.

I would personally suggest picking another time slot to go to the park especially since you are bringing people who have never been. I'd try and pick a less crazy time. But, of course, it is your decision. Just be prepared and realize there will be a lot things you probably won't be able to get to.
                Also take into consideration the crowds DCA will have due to Cars Land. The wait time for Radiator Springs Racers in September/October seemed to average 90min on any given day. I can't even imagine what the wait time will be on Thanksgiving.

Comment

it used to be that thanksgiving was actually one of the least busy days of the year at disneyland. word of that got out, and families slowly started going to disneyland since it is day that kids and usually both parents have off. well, word never reversed, and since then the crowds on thanksgiving have gotten worse and worse. in fact, on tripadvisor, thanksgiving and black friday are two of the only days of the year i have seen rated a 10/10 for crowds.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Comment

Originally posted by bisforbrittney View Post
                    it used to be that thanksgiving was actually one of the least busy days of the year at disneyland. word of that got out, and families slowly started going to disneyland since it is day that kids and usually both parents have off. well, word never reversed, and since then the crowds on thanksgiving have gotten worse and worse. in fact, on tripadvisor, thanksgiving and black friday are two of the only days of the year i have seen rated a 10/10 for crowds.
                    Actually touring plans is showing the same for the Thanksgiving Weekend as the week between Christmas and New Years ( and they have projected that amount of business for that week for a few years now).

So expectations will have it be busy, although probably due to Carsland, touring plans shows DCA to be a tad busier than Disneyland. All in all, very busy. If you can stand the crowds go! We will see you there.

Comment

Like anything that is too good to be true, once word spreads it becomes just another typical day.

Comment

I would never, ever go on a holiday (T-Giving day, Xmas Day, 4th of July, New Years...) Never...

I went on the 4th once and it was just as bad at 5-5-05. Pretty much no room to walk, a line for everything including bathroom, a nightmare.

Ta Da!

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I wish we could change our plans but that is the only day that we will be able to go. Definitely going to use fastpass that day. Fingers crossed that we will still be able to have a good time.
                          Goonies Never Say Die

Comment

Plan to have a good time regardless and you will!! I have gone on NYE several times knowing it was packed and still had a blast. I think it is all in the mindset and a bit on the preparation. We will be there from the 22nd through the 25th and we plan to have a good time no matter what. I equate it to driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

Having grown up in Los Angeles (yep, I am a real valley girl!
                            ) you decide to get in the traffic to do your thing, so why let it bother you? Same thing here. The trick is, if it does start to bother you, divert yourself to somewhere less crowded or completely away from the crowds. We always head back to the hotel and take a breather midday or whenever to refresh to attack again renewed. We also have multiple "down" spots that no matter how crowded the parks are, we can take a breather and regroup if we do not wish to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                              Like anything that is too good to be true, once word spreads it becomes just another typical day.
                              So true.
                              For the love of Disney....:yea:

Comment

I was at the park last year on Thanksgiving day and to be honest with you, it wasnt as bad as i expected!!! (maybe i just expected super packed)
                                Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

Comment

I go down to Disneyland for the week of Thanksgiving each year. Crowds monday to wednesday are pretty reasonable, though thursday through the weekend is usually pretty crowded, but I have never been to disneyland and felt like I have to leave or it is too crowded and I've been there the week of Christmas, New Years, and many other high attendance days. Though you probably won't be able to do too much in each park if your only there for a day. I've never understood how someone can just go to Disneyland for a day (unless your a local). If your into dining it's sort of tradition for us too eat lunch at the Blue Bayou thanksgiving (or the day before or after, depending on when we can get in) and then the night of thanksgiving we eat at the Plaza Inn (which has a special thanksgiving menu, as do many other resort restaurants) as the fireworks are going on and its snowing on Main Street! So overall people are saying its busy... don't listen, that's not a reason to not go to Disneyland, especially on such a fun day!

Comment

ORDDU: My sisters and I aren't sure what the cut off number is for crowd control but it sometimes seems that Disney management is so greedy it doesn't care how many sardines it has to pack into its parks in order to make more money. When it gets to the point where there are long lines to even use restrooms or there is not enough seating for the restaurants, somethings is very wrong. Of course it could also be a no win situation for Disney, as we're sure there would be many complaints from guests who were turned away from entering the parks due to overcrowding. We never try to do the parks on holidays any more--unless a friend has invited us to with them.

ORGOCH: What friends? Ya got friends I don't 'bout????

Comment

Also, on Thanksgiving and through Saturday, all passes excepting the premium pass will be blocked out. On that Sunday all but the So Cal Select are active. That may help a little with crowd control.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Big Dork View Post
                                        Thank you all for your responses. I wish we could change our plans but that is the only day that we will be able to go. Definitely going to use fastpass that day. Fingers crossed that we will still be able to have a good time.
                                        Just keep a clear head and try to do as much as you can. Don't plan to have a bad day.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X