Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it were possible to lengthen POTC, what type of scenes would be cool to add?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] If it were possible to lengthen POTC, what type of scenes would be cool to add?

Yes, I know it's impossible to do....but if it were possible, what types of pirate scenes would be cool to add?

(Let's see how long until someone says "It's impossible" or "It's the perfect length as Walt designed it so don't change it"...hahaha....some people just don't know how to use their imaginations! )

Re: If it were possible to lengthen POTC, what type of scenes would be cool to add?

I think a full ​mermaid scene would be really cool!
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

Re: If it were possible to lengthen POTC, what type of scenes would be cool to add?

I've never seen the sword fight scene in the Paris version, but I would love to have something like that in our version.

Comment

Keep the current scenes grounded in the real world and make the new scenes a place of pirate myths and legends. Here Jack can fight the kraken, dead men will tell tales, and mermaids will lure you overboard.

Perhaps a good transition could be a drunk mr Gibbs rambling on about said myths, legends, and superstitions before heading into a dark cave full of the supernatural. Keep the movie stuff in this section and restore the original scenes.
        In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

I would like to keep what is currently there, but update the animatronics to make the pirates even more lifelike.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
            Keep the current scenes grounded in the real world and make the new scenes a place of pirate myths and legends. Here Jack can fight the kraken, dead men will tell tales, and mermaids will lure you overboard.

Perhaps a good transition could be a drunk mr Gibbs rambling on about said myths, legends, and superstitions before heading into a dark cave full of the supernatural. Keep the movie stuff in this section and restore the original scenes.
            Interesting proposal. I certainly would be ecstatic to see the original parts of the ride restored to their former glory. If that meant adding a section to the ride specifically for the movie-franchise... I think it might be worth it. Although I would still greatly prefer something fresh and original to something from a frachise.

Comment

Originally posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
              Yes, I know it's impossible to do....but if it were possible, what types of pirate scenes would be cool to add?

(Let's see how long until someone says "It's impossible" or "It's the perfect length as Walt designed it so don't change it"...hahaha....some people just don't know how to use their imaginations! )
              I think of all the attractions at DLR, lengthening POTC would actually be the easiest. The back show building is a pretty basic structure. All you'd have to do is have the boats turn left instead of right after the pirate ship scene. That wall leads out to an open space west of the IJA show building. The boats could make a big looping right hand turn through a huge fight scene with The Kraken. Then come right back into the existing show building into the regular beginning of the town scenes. You might want to do a simple reworking of the dimly lit fort above the boat storage entrance for more space.

Anyhow, the point is that extending POTC would be fairly simply. Now would it be worth it? I don't think so. This is one of the longest, if not the longest, attractions at DLR.

Comment

The spoken of real estate was once planned to have a nighttime overlay for the attraction featuring a town overrun by skeleton pirates instead of human pirates. There is room for expansion, it'd just be a very daunting task. Would it be an overlay? Or would it be a lengthened attraction? The word may never know...
                "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

I would enjoy a whirlpool w/kraken tentacles intermittently reaching out
                  "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                    That would be awesome!

Comment

I only saw the first movie... but that is neither here nor there since the only scene I want expanded upon is a full-on squall scene. Moderate waves to rock the boat. Lots of wind. A bit of rain (yes, you would get a bit wet on this ride for once!!!)... and tons of lightening!

I always felt jipped, even as a kid, that there wasn't at least wind blowing on the boat as guests cruise by the squall scene.

Comment

Too PC to POTC?

First I will be sacrilegious and suggest what scenes to delete. Don't read if ye be weak of heart or quick to take umbridge:
                        Spoiler
                        Retire the classic pirates chasing women for . . . food, and one of the most advanced AA figures ever created, the auctioneer, and his selling women scene. It was once accepted, then it became "not PC." Today it's downright misogynistic to many guests, myself included.

And to take their place? Maybe a mermaid scene, or maybe an original pirate scene that is not in the movies.

Maybe sword fighting. See "The Princess Bride" for inspiration.

Or we pass pirates feasting, singing new lyrics or telling jokes, but then we pass British soldiers about to break in on them, and then we pass pirates about to conquer the soldiers.

And then one-by-one four different flailing, blindfolded British soldiers walk the plank and splash into water. (You might be lucky and see a different soldier say his last words and fall into the shark infested waters on four different trips.) Realist movements with realistic acceleration during the fall would be nice. The AAs wouldn't actually get wet and an elaborate system could have them each be set up, fall and return to the plank.

Originally posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
                        I've never seen the sword fight scene in the Paris version, but I would love to have something like that in our version.
                        I have and I liked it.
                        Last edited by jcruise86; 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM.

Comment

This. The POTC movies are really about people telling stories. The POTC suffers the same fate as all boat rides (Splash Mountain, iasw etc.) in that it tends to get backed up at the end. What better place than to add something for what is usually the most boring section of the attraction.

Have Gibbs up on barrel up high were several rows of boats can see and hear him at the end and let him continusouly spin yarns that really have no beginning and no end. They can even serve as epilogues for the attraction or explain the story behind it, but no too well. And the stories should be contradictory and not really seem plausible. :P
                          "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

I think a way to break up the ride, might be to either go into a whirlpool(helical flume) and/or be swallowed by the Kraken. Perhaps use something the 180 technology on Maalstrom in Epcot uses for this effect.

Then go into the mythical area.

Come back into the real world in the desset and be welcome back to the see by Mr Gibbs.
                            Be Cool Stay in School!
                            Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Love the idea of having Gibbs telling stories. Heck, I'd even take out Sparrow in the treasure seat at the end and add replace him with Gibbs in a more humble setting, could even have his story remind people that Dead Men Tell No Tales...

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                                OMG that would NOT be cool...I am deathly and strangely afraid of water whirlpools and even that whirlpool scene in the Pirate movie had me cringing. I have a fear of large bodies of water, mostly large lakes and if I saw a big HOLE going into the depths of the watery darkness...I would pass out.

I'm weird, I know.

Ta Da!

Comment

I could go for a silhouette of the Kraken taking a guest boat in the background.
                                  I think I'd phase out the movie characters. I prefer the ending with the two poor saps trying to drag their loot up the hill.
                                  With kind regards,
                                  The Tony

Comment

I think an immersive scene where they are rocking the boats to flip them and get out of Davy Jones' locker would be so cool. Like if you rode through the middle of it or they could use screens and special effects for it. But I think that would totally upstage the simplicity of the rest of the ride.

Facebook me!
                                    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

It'd be awesome to go by a rock of mermaids with the water on each side of the boats splashing as if mermaids were swimming around you. It would make sense since 90% of pirate tales involved mermaids.

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                        I think an immersive scene where they are rocking the boats to flip them and get out of Davy Jones' locker would be so cool. Like if you rode through the middle of it or they could use screens and special effects for it. But I think that would totally upstage the simplicity of the rest of the ride.
                                        Like the old tunnel on the USH tram tour. That could be doable I think!
                                        With kind regards,
                                        The Tony

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X