Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Parade for exclusive party guests only?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explodingboy
    replied
    Re: Christmas Parade for exclusive party guests only?

Originally posted by dougeebear View Post
    While Christians may still be a majority in this country, they are not world-wide. I know that I won't be attending any Disneyland special event that focuses so heavily on the story of Christ, not being of that faith.
    I feel you there, but I'm coming from the angle of having no faith at all. Although I do think Disneyland's Holiday overlay is pretty non-secular for the most part. I won't be attending anyway, it's simply just not a big enough deal to me.

Originally posted by Malina View Post
    I do wish they'd throw Hanukkah a bone and have a menorah somewhere in the resort...anyway...
    Aside from the photo that was already posted of the menorah on Main Street, there is this one as well located in PotC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5452.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	7347009

I see what you're saying though. In terms of the Holiday decorations, I think they do a pretty good job with keeping the park as non-secular as possible. In my opinion it should stay that way. It's just easier for everyone.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I have strong issues with Disney planning to only do the holiday parade for people who pay for special after hours ticketed events. The park has been doing Christmas parades since the 1950's. This is a special tradition that people who go to the park in December expect to see. Many plan there trip specifically for this time of year because of this parade. I know my family always did. Many people are going to show up in December only to see Soundsational next year, and be very very upset. Not that Soundsational isn't a great parade, but again, people who have been going to the park as an annual tradition for decades and decades are going to be very very upset to see a non-Christmas parade coming down Main Street. Disney is opening up the flood gates for a lot of angry guests.

I have no issue with Disney holding special parties during the holidays - But I think the focus should be on EXTRAS - not taking away stuff from the regular daytime guests. It is almost as though they are holding the parade hostage, and you will never see your little precious parade again unless you shell out 100.00 clams. (Getting very film noir here)

I think they could just plan to do the holiday fireworks for party guests only (it is a more recent offering, and guest do not expect it as much) And continue the parade for day guests. Between the fireworks and Candlelight processional, that is enough to get people to attend the special events. They don't have to take the parade away from day guests. It is not necessary, and is just plain scrooge-like behavior.
    Maybe every day at Disneyland should be a special admission event where everyone has to pay some equal amount to enter, and then everyone would get what they paid for.

---------- Post added 11-20-2012 at 01:45 PM ----------

Originally posted by TCadillac View Post
    I wish they'd get rid of these special events. I think it's absurd to charge full price and then kick guests out at 5pm. It's like paying full price for a movie then having the ushers shoo you out after a 1:15 mins in.
    If only all those guests being kicked out were actually paying full price, then I'd agree.

Leave a comment:

• Malina
    replied

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The ticketed events barely cut into regular park hourse. Like your saying, Halloween Parties on Tuesdays when the park would of closed at 8 only cut off two hours, on Friday 4 hours since without them the month would be slow and 11 would likely be the closing time. But they also increase hours by opening earlier when the crowds warrant. The same is done with Grad Nites when held on busy days, but the new party format adds hours on slow days. It's likely Christmas Parties would do the same.
    The Tuesdays weren't as problematic, but cutting out 4 hours is a huge deal for a lot of ticket holders. When they arrive they can see the signs, and maybe opt to use their hopper ticket on another day, but what if they don't have another day? And if they're coming to the park at say, 9 or 12, they're already too late to benefit from any early opening.

I'll be honest, I went to the Halloween party and I enjoyed it, cutting into park hours or not. I can see how it would upset people, though.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

I'm okay with special events when they start AFTER park hours. If the park is scheduled to close for the night at 8 - and it does a lot in the off season - and the party starts then, it's one thing. Cutting into park hours is another. I agree that it's really uncool to kick people out at 5 and cut into hours they thought they'd have in the park.
    The ticketed events barely cut into regular park hourse. Like your saying, Halloween Parties on Tuesdays when the park would of closed at 8 only cut off two hours, on Friday 4 hours since without them the month would be slow and 11 would likely be the closing time. But they also increase hours by opening earlier when the crowds warrant. The same is done with Grad Nites when held on busy days, but the new party format adds hours on slow days. It's likely Christmas Parties would do the same.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

I wish they'd get rid of these special events. I think it's absurd to charge full price and then kick guests out at 5pm. It's like paying full price for a movie then having the ushers shoo you out after a 1:15 mins in.
    At Halloween, it is 7pm that they kicked everyone else out, not 5pm.

There are warning signs up all over the resort that the Disneyland closes early on the day of the special event. Therefore, people are buying the ticket knowing that they will have to leave early. They also have the option of going to CA Adventure for a full day if they are worried about going somewhere for a full day.

Leave a comment:

• Malina
    replied

I'm okay with special events when they start AFTER park hours. If the park is scheduled to close for the night at 8 - and it does a lot in the off season - and the party starts then, it's one thing. Cutting into park hours is another. I agree that it's really uncool to kick people out at 5 and cut into hours they thought they'd have in the park.

And while I love the Halloween parties I am really going to hope that this idea of Christmas parties does not take off.

Leave a comment:

• TCadillac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlAcKoUt510
    replied

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
    Rumor or not, I'm not really eager to listen to Disney's pig in a polk lies about making what was once a good way to celebrate the holiday season into a buko profit turning gig.
    I'm with you. I feel like whatever they would say I'd wish they'd just say nothing because it would most likely be disappointing & bull.

Originally posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I'm with you. The only way I would back this is if they came out with a new parade and fireworks show.
    Exactly. Disney is in no position right now to feel like they need to make cuts. The park is very successful & taking things away now, especially traditions that were once free, just makes me sad cause I'll start to see the greed in the place I love.

Leave a comment:

• bayouguy
    replied

Rumor or not, I'm not really eager to listen to Disney's pig in a polk lies about making what was once a good way to celebrate the holiday season into a buko profit turning gig.

Leave a comment:

• GhostHostJeff
    replied

Originally posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I'm usually very chill with what Disneyland has done these past few years, but if they were to charge for things that have been free for years & what I feel should be available to all guest at this point, I will be very disappointed.

How about adding to the event? Disney thinking about taking things away just kind of shows how money-hungry Disney has become over the past few years. I hope this stays a rumor.
    I'm with you. The only way I would back this is if they came out with a new parade and fireworks show.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

Originally posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    How about adding to the event? Disney thinking about taking things away just kind of shows how money-hungry Disney has become over the past few years. I hope this stays a rumor.
    It may be more like WDW, where it takes some away to the ticketed event and adds more to the daily "free" stuff. The parade and fireworks are in the MK ticketed party. Epcot has Holidays around the World in World Showcase, plus you can watch from the back of the ticketed viewing for Cadelight. DHS has the Osborn Lights. AK has a christmas parade. Think of all of the new stuff in DCA this year.

Leave a comment:

• BlAcKoUt510
    replied

I'm usually very chill with what Disneyland has done these past few years, but if they were to charge for things that have been free for years & what I feel should be available to all guest at this point, I will be very disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

^ Bingo.

Originally posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    By having it a separate, hard ticketed event, this turns out more money for the company and could intentionally go towards new experiences for the resort.
    It definitely makes more money for the company, but the idea that the profits "go towards new experiences for the resort" is a myth -- a holdover from the pre-Eisger era when Disneyland's profits were plowed back into Disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• TTN
    replied

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Club 33 doesn't upcharge its customers special-event prices for the privilege of being packed into a sardine mosh pit. The issue isn't elitism or "rich people," the issue is Disney's blatant greed in overselling special event tickets.
    I'd go a step further than that. The sardine packing ability of TDA is yes an issue (especially if their advertising it as a "special party," in what world does a special party include 60,000 of your closest friends?). I'd say the bigger problem is the business model that Disney is using to create this new party. In comparison to Club 33 (which was made with the purpose of being a quasi-elitist privilege), here the company is creating a product repackaging and rebranding pre-existing shows, the newest of which (snow) has been offered with park admission for about 5 years and the parade of fireworks being a half-century old tradition.

EVEN worse though, if history is any indication, Disney will continue to offer a non-holiday parade and firework show. It would be one thing if Disney was making a business decision in not showing the holiday shows to their general audience in order to save money (a unpleasant business decision at least, but a more respectable one, especially if they need to "cut corners" for some reason, not that Disney does). But instead they choose to replace the holiday shows with traditional ones at what one would suspect is a higher cost to the company due to the extended length of the traditional shows (For example RDCT lasts I believe about 13-14 minutes in its cut version and Magical is about 14 minutes as well, the holiday firework show is about 8.5 minutes.

This would be equivalent of a restaurant replacing your dinner salad with a more expensive side dish you didn't want just so you are encouraged to spend the extra money on the overprices side salad (which is still nothing more than simple greens). At that is what reeks of a greedy business model.

Leave a comment:

• GhostHostJeff
    replied

This is really a simple business model. Why give something for free when there is a demand for it and people are willing to pay extra for it? There is no doubt that Christmas time at Disneyland is a premium product. By having it a separate, hard ticketed event, this turns out more money for the company and could intentionally go towards new experiences for the resort. Will a separate admission deter some people? Sure. But, like many have stated, people plan their trips to the resort around this time and these people will be willing to do it.

Leave a comment:

• SparklingMare
    replied

I'm with you.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Unfortunately it's GOING to happen.
    I bet a lot more money on it happening than on an NFL game tomorrow.

Originally posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    The Christmas special event and been rumored for several years now and I hope it stay that, just a rumor.
    It really has been a rumor that rolls over every year since WDW started ticketed parties. However like Halloween, Food and Wine, races, it's nearly a forgone conclusion that it too will makes it's way to DLR at some point.

Leave a comment:

• gomezaddams
    replied

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORGOCH: Sorry, but ya lost me. Still cain't tell which side a the fence yer on, gomezaddams. ducklin'.
    Darling Orgoch,
    Please excuse my familiarity, but I find a lady with sultry cerulean salubrity so seductive. I heartily apologize for my failed missive. By comparing Mr Iger to Ebenezer, I thought that my position that all hard ticket "celebrations" should be halted would be apparent. By also stating that it would take a spiritual revelation to change the regime's attitude, I erred in thinking that it inferred that such action would be improbable. We are suffering under the relentless pecuniary lust of Iger & company & that this lust is not endemic to all businesses.
    If any other clarification is required, please consider me your obsequious vassal.

Leave a comment:

• Buster Keaton
    replied

I was thinking more of a menorah that is like the Christmas trees, ie, you can see it as you're walking around, not one you have to search for. If they celebrate Day of the Dead, Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year, why not give this holiday and tradition a more visible nod, too?
    Ah, now I see what you were originally getting at! I agree.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

I was thinking more of a menorah that is like the Christmas trees, ie, you can see it as you're walking around, not one you have to search for. If they celebrate Day of the Dead, Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year, why not give this holiday and tradition a more visible nod, too?
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X