What's the oldest ride at Disneyland that you were there for the year that it opened?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PiecesOfEight
    MiceChatter
    • Oct 2012

[Fun] What's the oldest ride at Disneyland that you were there for the year that it opened?

For me it was Space Mountain in 1977. I remember having to wait in a line forever...and fearing that it had a loop! I sucked it up and went on it anyway.

That's the first ride I remember being there for in its opening year.

Anyone else?
  • brian11811
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2009

Re: What's the oldest ride at Disneyland that you were there for the year that it ope

Star Tours in 1987. Took forever. Was cutting edge at the time. Now it is again with the 3D and random order of the ride.

Also Indiana Jones in 1995? 6? Can't remember exact year, but that took forever, but no fast pass so the line was a lot more fun. The cool parts of the line you got to hang out in. Now you just zip by the best parts, such as the spike chamber, the archeologist in the hole where you pull the rope, etc.

Comment

• orbitalpunk
      Majestic Falcon
      MiceChat Moderator
      • Sep 2005

Re: What's the oldest ride at Disneyland that you were there for the year that it ope

Fantasmic, Toontown and Indiana. Not sure which one off hand was the oldest but they are sorta close together. Still have my Toontown opening day commemorative ticket.

Micenation

Comment

• brian11811
        MiceChatter
        • Aug 2009

Ah yes, we saw Fantasmic 1st year too. Rained 1/2 the day then cleared up. Good stuff. Front row. Back then we were just used to hour lines. No fast pass. So nice with the fast pass now.

Comment

• swampymarsh
          Under that tree again!
          • Nov 2011

So much changes that mermories are pretty blurry that far back. I remember Big Thunder Mountain quite a bit, at least more cleary and it being built.
          Be Cool Stay in School!
          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
            Beach Expert
            • Sep 2006

The first ride where I remember it opening was Space Mountain. Although I was too scared to ride it I do remember all my older brothers friends saying how cool it was.

The first ride that opened after I was born though was the Haunted Mansion. But I don't remember it though.

Comment

• Disneyland 1951
              MiceChatter
              • May 2010

Autopia: July 1955. This is me driving my Sister.
              No Matterhorn, No Skyway, No Small World, No Submarines, No Monorail, etc.
              Just Orange Groves in the background.......

Comment

• brian11811
                MiceChatter
                • Aug 2009

Wow, Disneyland 1951 great pic. Very cool.

No tracks too on the cars! Very cool pic, and the low trees too. I loved Autopia as a kid, but the exhaust has to go... Electric rail or something has to replace it. FORD, if your battery is so good, promote it here. I says...

Comment

• RemainSeatedPlz87
                  MargyDisneylandLover
                  • May 2009

1995 premier summer for Indy...the lines went on forever!
                  My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
                  Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
                  "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
                  ~* Uncle Walt *~
                  2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Comment

• bisforbrittney
                    a damsel not in distress
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
                    this is awesome!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Comment

• PiecesOfEight
                      MiceChatter
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                      So much changes that mermories are pretty blurry that far back. I remember Big Thunder Mountain quite a bit, at least more cleary and it being built.
                      I remember peeking through the wall at BTMRR as it was under construction....'79?

---------- Post added 11-17-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Man...that is awesome.

Comment

• gatheringrosebuds
                        ~
                        • Aug 2012

Wow. That is way too cool. I really can't get enough pictures of vintage Disneyland. But they always leave me with a lingering desire to travel back in time and experience the Disneyland of yesteryear.

I believe that the first attraction that opened after I was born was Indiana Jones, but that was several years before I visited the park for the first time. I guess the first ride that I remember opening is "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". Yeah... not terribly exciting.

Comment

• The First Star
                          No Light, No Light
                          • Sep 2011

Indiana Jones + spring break 1995 = 3+ hour long lines
                          Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                          :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

• mratigan
                            Say no to screens
                            • Feb 2011

i cant recall going the year any rides opened,but i go on Star Tours and Cars Land/BVS on the days they opened
                            i got Fastpass that day and have them framedm
                            Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

• wiigirl
                              MiceChatter
                              • Oct 2012

OMG....thats awesome!
                              For the love of Disney....:yea:

Comment

• jcruise86
                                former CM

• Jul 2006

Great photo! Thanks, Disneyland1951. (Boy, the park hasn't changed a bit! ))

Comment

• sbk1234
                                  formerly very helpful
                                  • Sep 2007

I remember soft opening for Big Thunder. But wasn't that earlier than 1978 or 79?
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

• Tomorrowland67
                                    Tourist
                                    • Jun 2005

Summer of 1967: The original Pirates of the Caribbean. I waited 3 hours in front of the old entrance with a mass of people, just to get to the interior queue. It was worth every minute of the wait.

Comment

• XxBellaThornxX
                                      A Pirate's Life For Me...
                                      • Aug 2007

Indy. I remember waiting until Fantasmic started to get in line the first year. I think we still waited an hour and a half but didn't really notice since they were still giving out the decoder cards.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Comment

• swampymarsh
                                        Under that tree again!
                                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
                                        I remember peeking through the wall at BTMRR as it was under construction....'79?
                                        Yes, the mountain were visble that summer. I got to ride it around Christmas.
                                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X