Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A strange question about Splash Mountain...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A strange question about Splash Mountain...

I'd have to disagree with the comments that "no one knows" what's in the water. There's a rather large pump station ( and presumably filtration station ) visible on Google Earth when you look at Splash Mountain. What's in that water should actually be pretty carefully metered and be a rather predictable mix. Any claims that hand lotion or spilled drinks are causing this seem infinitesimal in the grand percentage of water in there versus the effect of the filtration system.

Nonetheless, I have also gotten off Splash Mountain and other rides and noticed the water seemed odd. Almost waxy. I'm a dude, I don't use hairspray, gel or for that matter, even fabric softener. I should have absolutely no x factors involved except for the soap and shampoo in a daily shower, and yet I'd agree sometimes it feels a bit waxy. I've never smelled any excess in chlorine or other pool cleaning substances. ( At least not ones that my experience cleaning a pool has made me familiar with. )

Comment

If you had just bleached your hair the day before... it was probably a chemical reaction. When you bleach/dye your hair, you're normally not supposed to wash it/get it wet for 24-48 hours so the dye/bleach chemicals can settle better into the hair shaft. Bleaching your hair then going on a water ride that uses chlorine & other chemicals to treat the water the next day is a potential recipe for disaster. That's just my best guess.

I'm not a hair professional, but I've been coloring my own hair for 20 years, so I do know a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
        noticed the water seemed odd. Almost waxy.

yet I'd agree sometimes it feels a bit waxy.
        Do you mean waxy as in slippery? Perhaps the water is slighly acidic, which make water slippery. I haven't noticed this myself but maybe it's possibly done to keep minerals from being deposited in the flume.
        Be Cool Stay in School!
        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
          If you had just bleached your hair the day before... it was probably a chemical reaction. When you bleach/dye your hair, you're normally not supposed to wash it/get it wet for 24-48 hours so the dye/bleach chemicals can settle better into the hair shaft. Bleaching your hair then going on a water ride that uses chlorine & other chemicals to treat the water the next day is a potential recipe for disaster. That's just my best guess.

I'm not a hair professional, but I've been coloring my own hair for 20 years, so I do know a few things.
          The thing is that I only bleached my roots, yet when the rest of my hair got wet, even the parts that weren't bleached got plastic-y.
          And I'm not sure about the whole not washing your hair to let the bleach settle- you're not depositing any pigment, so it's not like the color can fade off. So I'm still not too sure what it was!

Comment

Is it possible they have to add large amounts of water softener? I imagine if the water was naturally hard, they'd have a huge problem with mineral buildup if they didn't soften it.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
              Nonetheless, I have also gotten off Splash Mountain and other rides and noticed the water seemed odd. Almost waxy.
              I've noticed this too. Two rides stand out in particular, and that's Gully Washer and Power Surge at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The water on both of those rides seemed almost slimy. But then again, it was Six Flags...

As for Disney attractions though, I haven't ever really noticed anything all that weird with the water in terms of how it felt. On a sidenote, I do love the intoxicating smell of the chlorine on Pirates though!
              Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
              http://tcox91.tumblr.com

Comment

who knows about THAT water. but i never had it ruin my hair..i would not let it ruin your day

Comment

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
                  who knows about THAT water. but i never had it ruin my hair..i would not let it ruin your day
                  Oh, I didn't let it ruin my day! My hair looked like absolute crap and I was scared- but it definitely didn't ruin my day; I actually went there to cheer myself up as it was the one year anniversary of my best friends death. Even through all of the plastic hair mishap, I still maintained a positive attitude. :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                    I don't know what could be wrong but TWDC has very deep pockets. Time to call up a lawyer I'd say.

Disney is actually pretty well known for fighting every claim, even if the defense costs more than a settlement.
                    sigpic
                    Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X