Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland map sells for over $2000- WOW!!!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland map sells for over $2000- WOW!!!

An auction on ebay for a #1 Disneyland map from 1958 (pre-Matterhorn and Monorail) closed tonight for $2038.00. Here is the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Nice-1958-D...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been watching this auction as I have 2 of these maps. One in mint condition, the other is in good condition and it is personalized by Disney Legand Sam McKim to Leon Janzen, editor of the E-Ticket magazine, both of whom have left us.
    Needless to say, I was pretty excited when the auction closed this evening. My wife's opinion is "SELL THEM BOTH!". Me thinks I'll keep 'em.

What would you do?
    Charlie :wave:
    MiceChat User #1037

Re: Disneyland map sells for over $2000- WOW!!!

Sell one and keep the other. Sell the mint-condition. More likely it will sell for more money

Comment

Wow, that's amazing, I'd sell at least one Like jack's return suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Circarama
        An auction on ebay for a #1 Disneyland map from 1958 (pre-Matterhorn and Monorail) closed tonight for $2038.00. Here is the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Nice-1958-D...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been watching this auction as I have 2 of these maps. One in mint condition, the other is in good condition and it is personalized by Disney Legand Sam McKim to Leon Janzen, editor of the E-Ticket magazine, both of whom have left us.
        Needless to say, I was pretty excited when the auction closed this evening. My wife's opinion is "SELL THEM BOTH!". Me thinks I'll keep 'em.

What would you do?
        Well Charlie, I think you may want to liquidate one of them to free up some cash for the potential animatronic sale after POTC is refurbed. You know you want one! :beg:

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

I'm in accordance with what was stated above. The signed one, I'd assume, has more personal value to yourself, so keep that one as a nice memory, and sell the other for a good amount of dough

Comment

You can always send me one.

If you're willing to depart (I don't know if I would be) then definitely sell one.

Comment

Originally posted by Earkid
              Well Charlie, I think you may want to liquidate one of them to free up some cash for the potential animatronic sale after POTC is refurbed. You know you want one! :beg:
              )
              That would be AWESOME!!

But seriously (sort of), do you guys really think that the mint one is worth more than the signed one?
              The reason I ask this question is because the signed map has provenance.
              Check this out:
              (1)It's personalized, "To Leon, Best Wishes Friend, Sam McKim".
              (2)There is a picture of Sam McKim on page 21 of issue number 18 of the E-Ticket showing Sam McKim standing next to this map just prior to it's being signed.
              (3) It is mounted on a masonite board just like the one that Leon wrote about in the E-Ticket article.
              (4) I have a signed certificate of authenticity
              (5) Here is a photograph that shows Sam McKim just before he is about to sign the map.

There are imperfections on the map in this photograph that you can see on my map, so I know it's the same map.
              So when does provenance trump condition? I would have thought the signed map would be worth more...Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
              MiceChat User #1037

Comment

keep both, the value could only go up, sell them when you plan to retire

Comment

Keep one, maybe wait a few years (as mattjbhs said it can only go up in value), and sell it.
                  Last edited by splashmountainfreak; 01-09-2006, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinkin' that the 50th anniversary of this particular map is only 2 years away.
                    Which reminds me... HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION POSTERS!!
                    MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Originally posted by mattjbhs
                      keep both, the value could only go up, sell them when you plan to retire
                      I agree but not entirely, I think value has peaked temporarily for the 50th, and while it will reach those prices again I think it'll go down a little before it rises back up.

I'm with everyone else, sell the mint one. The one with the message on it, I don't think most people will recognize who those folks are outside of Disneyana hardcores.

Comment

Definately keep it. Wait to sell it when the map turns 75, at least. Value will only climb!

I would definately frame the maps and hang them on a nice, big wall in my house if I had them though... I'm a sucker for those snazzy big fun maps. I have one ofthe 50th maps and one of the 1998 maps that reflects all of the brown New Tomorrowland.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                          II'm with everyone else, sell the mint one. The one with the message on it, I don't think most people will recognize who those folks are outside of Disneyana hardcores.
                          Of course, only a true Disney geek (no offense Charlie ) would be looking to spend several thousand dollars on a map, and I think the signed one may have more draw because of the passing of McKim and Janzen.

If I owned them, I think I would have more of an attachment to the signed one.

Originally posted by MasterGracey
                          .....and one of the 1998 maps that reflects all of the brown New Tomorrowland.
                          You must be so proud! :lmao:

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

I think if you are looking to cash in on a collectable, sell the mint one.

IMHO, (based on watching lots of antiques roadshow) the signed one is more valuable, even moreso with the provenance and documentation you have. That makes it worth keeping for yourself. Heck, it might even be worth having appraised and insured. Knowing the kind of collector you are, I would have your entire collection appraised and insured, since it would be priceless to replace everything you have collected over the years.

Just a thought, but I would hang onto the signed one, its probably one of a kind and I think that means more to you than whatever monetary value you could get out of it. I'm jealous :blush:
                            Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                            Help support the site you love:
                            -Visit the MiceChat store
                            Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                            MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqueen
                              . Heck, it might even be worth having appraised and insured. Knowing the kind of collector you are, I would have your entire collection appraised and insured, since it would be priceless to replace everything you have collected over the years.
                              Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't talk so loud, my wife is gonna hear you and then she's gonna start up again with the, "Have you called that collectibles insurance company yet?")

I gotta call those guys...
                              MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X